collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 567
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hello, Windows 8  (Read 9747 times)

Offline Scott

Re: Hello, Windows 8
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 12:24:03 PM »
At the moment we're getting offers for cloud based hotel management software so we can do everything from browsers.  They now offer iPad apps to do most of the heavy lifting in hotel software - can't wait to be checking in and out guests on the iPad. 

Once we decide on one, we'll get a couple wireless printers (already have one in the house, and it works amazing), a couple iPads for the hotel and another iMac for the office of the hotel. 

Shortly our entire business needs will be running off Apple machinery.   :good: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Of course it's no coincident that I'm pushing for it now that the iPad3 is on the horizon.   :tease:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 04:35:15 PM »
Like it or not cloud-based computing is here to stay. We could argue about it's potential pitfalls till we're blue in the face.

So is the clap. That doesn't mean the we shouldn't avoid it at all costs.

Your only option then is a $39 camera connection kit or a wi-fi SD storage card.

Not at all. Just toss a few 16GB memory cards in my camera case, than download them into my PC when I get back to my home/motel/car in the evening. I can get hundreds of pix per card.

You have an iPad 1 or 2?

The only Apples in my house are a couple of Granny Smiths in my fridge.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline hayleylsl

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 05:11:13 PM »
Apple iCar - It runs extremely well, but only on 6 roads in the entire world.   ;)

Now that did make me lol.   :D

"It's like riding a bicycle around your living room"

Nelson Piquet on the Monaco Grand Prix..

Offline Dare

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2012, 05:29:34 PM »
Maybe I'm old fashioned but I'm a desktop fan.I can
wait till I get home to do my web surfing and when I
do I want a big screen and for my Netflix I  want it
connected to my 37" tv.

Anyone needs to contact me before then call me on my
cell phone
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline romephius

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2012, 08:30:52 PM »
Someone check the back of Scotts head, I'm sure you will find an Apple logo sewn in there.... I have spoken with Apple store salespeople who do the hard sell less than you Scott.

P.S. There ARE viruses for Mac, they are far rarer, however infinitely more destructive than 99.9% of PC viruses.  That is simple fact. 

Wiz could back me on this one too, wireless printing is a ridiculous idea, if you need to print anything more than a very simple wordpad (txt file) document, packet loss alone with start causing problems.  If it's something more involved, eg: MS powerpoint (which is available for mac), can spool as much as 2GB+ of print data, In short enough data to make a very high end print controller struggle or even fail, wireless networks are actually not supported by the major digital print solution manufacturers.

FYI (so you know I'm not talking out of my A$$, I work for Konica Minolta in the production print side (high end MFD's).

No one product is a magic solution to all your needs.  Apple is still the gold standard for video and image processing, PC's are still the gold standard for compatibility for business and gaming alike, cloud solutions may be here to stay, but, how will your company go if your ISP is offline, even if only for a few hours???  Terminal servers have been used for years (a form of online computing in companies).  I have seen entire branches of companies shut down for days in cities because there has been issues on the network, we are talking hundreds of employees showing up and not being able to work because all they have is hardware and no access to the software that runs the place. I'd hate to speculate how much money they lost.

All just some food for thought.

Offline Scott

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 08:47:55 PM »
Someone check the back of Scotts head, I'm sure you will find an Apple logo sewn in there....
It's actually a tattoo, I didn't think you could see it through my hair...I still have most of mine  :P
P.S. There ARE viruses for Mac, they are far rarer, however infinitely more destructive than 99.9% of PC viruses.  That is simple fact. 
If you're hunting around Warez sites or doing other stupid stuff, maybe you'll find one.  I don't, and haven't.  But just the same, I DO have AV software for my Mac's
Wiz could back me on this one too, wireless printing is a ridiculous idea, if you need to print anything more than a very simple wordpad (txt file) document, packet loss alone with start causing problems.  If it's something more involved, eg: MS powerpoint (which is available for mac), can spool as much as 2GB+ of print data, In short enough data to make a very high end print controller struggle or even fail, wireless networks are actually not supported by the major digital print solution manufacturers.
I don't use Minolta, but my HP prints everything I've sent it perfectly unless I had a paper jam.  Formatting is perfect on everything I've sent it.  Our printing volume or demands are likely not as high as some of your customers.
how will your company go if your ISP is offline, even if only for a few hours???   
My iPad has a SIM card in it.  ISP goes offline, I switch over to Cellular Data...no worries.  :yahoo: :yahoo:

Offline romephius

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 09:15:20 PM »
Scott and an apple tat  :DD :DD :good:

We had one of my senior team mates with a mac (dual boot with windows for supporting both), got a mac virus a few months back.  Lost everything on the drive :( for him... and no he wasn't doing anything stupid, corporate network and basic work stuff.

You're smart Scott, I know more than a few customers that think Mac is invunerable and they don't protect themselves.  Really it's the theory of the condom, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Funnily enough, HP and KM did a technology share a couple years ago, HP wrote software for KM, KM made printers for HP.... odds are that you are using a KM engine... just a little factoid nobody cares about... lol....

And 1 last thing (so nobody thinks I am an Apple hater) I do have a 64GB I-phone 4S.

As I said, just some devils advocate, food for thought.

P.S.  I HATE GOOGLE!!! IT'S EVIL!!!

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2012, 12:30:02 PM »
Wiz could back me on this one too, wireless printing is a ridiculous idea, if you need to print anything more than a very simple wordpad (txt file) document, packet loss alone with start causing problems.  If it's something more involved, eg: MS powerpoint (which is available for mac), can spool as much as 2GB+ of print data, In short enough data to make a very high end print controller struggle or even fail, wireless networks are actually not supported by the major digital print solution manufacturers.

I wholeheartedly agree Rom. Wireless printing in a business does not work - Fact. Every customer that we have that has tried it has been forced to rethink and change to the tried and tested hard wired network cables. Businesses are interested in two things here, speed and reliability.

The problem lies with the amount of data being sent across the network at the same time. If you have several users sending print jobs to the printer whilst someone scans documents back to their PC (in other words a typical small business) a normal wireless network cannot cope with this amount of traffic and will fall over. Wireless printing is (for now) only good for the odd home user print job sent to a Air printer.

The less said about compatible Air printers the better, they are perfect for the home user who doesn't want to print anything much but to a business they are a joke. I was at a product launch only last Thursday of our new colour multi functional business range and when someone asked can it print from an iPad the answer was 'there isn't a single business print manufacturer interested in Air printing as it is seen as a waste of time.’ These are some of ythe largest IT companies in the world. Konica Minolta, Ricoh, Canon and Xerox to name but a few.

Rom will appreciate this. I have one customer who forced me to buy him an Epson air printer (there is always one). I timed a mono A4 letter sent from his iPad. 1 minute sending, 2 minutes printing. 3 minutes for a mono A4 letter!! Try sending it a 20Mb pdf brochure and watch your business grind to a halt when you lose your internet and emails when your wireless network falls over. Crazy.

I’m sure tablets are the future but until Apple get some real connectivity  (i.e. network/USB/docking station/something/anything!), they will not be part of the business world. The connectivity issues stem from Apple’s paranoia of iTunes. This also the reason you can’t connect your iPhone to another phone via Bluetooth because you might be able to transfer your songs etc. iTunes is Apples money making store but also their Achilles heel in my opinion. I have an iPhone 4, I never buy anything from iTunes as I can get it for 90% less from other legal sites. I like my iPhone. Do I use it for business? – Nope, I can’t.    

What's an iPhone? - a small iPad.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:36:13 PM by Wizzo »
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 01:59:26 PM »
Let's separate the discussions then between business and home use shall we?

Whizzo, all due respect but "I never buy anything from iTunes as I can get it for 90% less from other legal sites."

Really? Really? :)

You can get that $.99 song for $.10 or  for that matter that $.99 app for the same $.10? Unless you are jail broken you CAN'T get an app from anywhere other than the AppStore.

Seriously though, what are you buying at a 90% discount? I'm a cheap bastard and will spread the word if you'll tell me. :)
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2012, 04:38:54 PM »
Try http://www.legalsounds.com/ 120,000 artists, 2.1 million songs. The price per song is $0.09, all albums hover at about $1 (depending on popularity). They always offer the US top 40 for free. There are many others.

I would never jailbreak a phone mainly because I'm not that interested in it. As for apps this is different, personally I never buy apps anymore as I've always found most of them are a waste of time. When I got my iPhone I downloaded them like crazy, now the most used one is Redlaser at maybe once a month. I got bored very quickly at playing games on my phone. Don't get me wrong I must have 50 apps on my phone - I just don't use them. I have a few the kids like playing on when they come round.  ::)

There you go, I just counted 108 apps on my phone wow! 108! 24 Games and the others are all just compact versions of websites. Oh, the torch app has come in handy a few times.  :D

If you know of an app worth having (on any format) then I would love to know.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 05:00:18 PM by Wizzo »
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Wizzo

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 07:04:38 PM »
Holy crap Wizzo!!!!  Awesome link! The new Van Halen album for only $1.17!?!?!!?!?!

Cheers

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2012, 07:05:44 PM »
Honestly, this is the first real review I've read on Windows 8.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2012/mar/05/windows-8-desktop-experience

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2012, 08:35:36 PM »
Holy crap Wizzo!!!!  Awesome link! The new Van Halen album for only $1.17!?!?!!?!?!

Cheers

Thats how I filled up my iPhone with songs. It is handy for playing music on the go.  ;)

Glad to be of service.

Wizzo

Offline Scott

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2012, 09:07:28 PM »

Cheers

:yahoo: :yahoo: :good:

Download like crazy before Apple buys them and shuts them down!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2012, 09:44:41 PM »
I didn't expect anything good from W8. Look at the history:

Windows 95 -  :sick:

Windows 98 -  :yahoo:

Windows ME -  :sick:

Windows XP -  :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Windows Vista -  :sick:

Windows 7 -  :yahoo:

Notice a pattern?   ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle