collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 565
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Female F1 driver this year?  (Read 2153 times)

vintly

Female F1 driver this year?
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:01:16 PM »
Tweets from Sarah Holt ‏ @sarahholtf1

'Here's some interesting news. We have a female driver back in Formula 1 as Marussia sign up Spain's Maria De Villota.'

'De Villota has been signed up as a test driver but the 32-year-old will get her chance behind the wheel later in the year.'

'Not sure if we'll see her in Friday practice any time soon. Seems more like its part of a learning curve into F1 but a positive step.'

Online cosworth151

Re: Female F1 driver this year?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:54:39 PM »
The BBC confirm that she has the test driver seat, but doubts that she'll race this season.

However, De Villota, the daughter of 1980s F1 driver Emilio de Villota, is unlikely to be given the chance to follow in Lombardi's footsteps in the near future.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17293023
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline f1bettings

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 05:44:40 AM »
A female in F1 would draw in more attention and viewers.

Jugirl

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 01:23:34 PM »
That's great news. Wouldn't it be good if she got a race later in the season and actually beat her male team mate ;)

Ju

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 02:28:16 PM »
That's great news. Wouldn't it be good if she got a race later in the season and actually beat her male team mate ;)

Ju

Be a bloody miracle if she could even beat the 107% rule as a totally inexperienced driver, ;) Marussia/Virgin find it tough enough to beat anyone at any race anyway.  :D

I think realistically the only outing she will get is at the end of season new drivers test. I hope she makes an impression then and gets proper consideration for a race seat.   

Unfortunately at this time it's just a publicity stunt, and perhaps a bit of an earner from sponsorship money for the team.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Jugirl

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 02:45:48 PM »
Even though deep down your probably right and she won't even get the chance... John... :nono:

Wizzo...Why is there no punch smiley on the forum board but there is in the chatroom? hehe ;)

Ask Ian and Neil I have a handy left hook hehe

Ju

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 04:03:43 PM »
I thought the FIA can make exclusions to the 107% rule for extenuating circumstances.  Making history by putting a woman on the grid is rather extenuating.   :D :D
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 06:05:47 PM »
Wizzo...Why is there no punch smiley on the forum board but there is in the chatroom? hehe

Mainly because us blokes don't like getting hit in the face.  ;)

Ian would have two permanent black eyes.  :D
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Ian

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 07:23:32 PM »
Ju does'nt punch, she just throws dirty cups or mugs.  :DD
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Neil.P

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 07:40:57 PM »
I am sure my behaviour has always been impeccable. I cannot ever recall getting into trouble myself. Ian on the other hand... :D

Neil.P

Offline Ian

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 07:56:20 PM »
Oh my Neil, if ever there was a time for a punch smiley this was it.  :DD  :P
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 10:09:10 PM »
Even though deep down your probably right and she won't even get the chance... John... :nono:

Wizzo...Why is there no punch smiley on the forum board but there is in the chatroom? hehe ;)

Ask Ian and Neil I have a handy left hook hehe

Ju

Ju have you looked at Maria's racing record? It's the lack of top level competitive experience, and achievement, in single seaters that leads me to say 'a totally inexperienced driver' in F1 terms; rather than her gender.

She took part in some early rounds of the 2009 Formula Palmer Audi series with one 7th place and a lot of double digit finishes. She then moved to Superleague (the series supposed to represent football clubs of the world using 4.2 litre V12 engines) for the final 3 rounds in 09; again the highest finish was a 7th place with the other 5 races being well into the double digits.

2010 was a full season in Superleague, she managed a 4th, 6th and 7th from 16 races with a disqualification and mid double digit scores making up the rest. She also failed to qualify for any of the 9 super finals she was involved in. There were only 2 rounds of superleague in 2011 and in the one she contested Maria managed two 12th places and again failed to qualify for the superfinal.

Previous to the above Maria mainly raced tin tops with average to poor results.
Whilst the Super league cars are reckoned to be about on par with World Series by Renault cars, that's aprox 15 to 20% slower than F1, the drivers list in Super league contains few, if any, notable names who have progressed into other international single seater racing - and none who have made it properly from there to F1.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline hayleylsl

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 05:14:53 PM »
Interesting.

The only female driver i can recall ever competing is Lella Lombardi, and wasn't their a lady Tyrell driver in the early 80's? I wasnt born til 1979 so i don't recall much about that period of motor sport.

Given that she is with Marussia i don't reckon she will beat the 107% rule- in fact i dot reckon Marussia will get many qualifiers due to that rule, regardless of whether their drivers are male or female.

Would be interesting to watch though!!
"It's like riding a bicycle around your living room"

Nelson Piquet on the Monaco Grand Prix..

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 05:29:22 PM »
Davina Galica and Desire' Wilson also got starts.
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 11:34:07 PM »
Don't forget Maria Theresa de Filipis back in 1958 - beat Bernie Ecclestone around Monaco (but still didn't qualify). She did a few races elsewhere and according to a recent interview she did for Motor Sport, got a lot of respect from her fellow F1 racers.

No chance of Maria being on the F1 grid in 2012, because she doesn't have a Superlicence and is extremely unlikely to get one due to not appearing to be in a series that would allow her to earn one.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle