collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 273
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16178 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13016 Posts
John S John S
11293 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Rubens Slams Bahrain-Brazil Comparisons  (Read 1059 times)

Offline cosworth151

Rubens Slams Bahrain-Brazil Comparisons
« on: April 19, 2012, 09:53:40 PM »
In another thread, we were joking about Rubens Barrichello responding to our posts. It sounds like he's been reading our Jeri's posts comparing the situation in Bahrain to Brazil.  ;)

"I think it is horrible to compare [Bahrain] to Brazil," he told Brazil's TotalRace website. "It is completely different. There is no war."

http://www.racer.com/barrichello-slams-bahrain-brazil-comparisons/article/237225/?DCMP=EMC-RACER_DAILY&spMailingID=4077865&spUserID=MjMyNjk2NjU2MQS2&spJobID=41915415&spReportId=NDE5MTU0MTUS1
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:56:07 PM by cosworth151 »

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Rubens Slams Bahrain-Brazil Comparisons
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 10:35:46 PM »

So if Rubens got the call, he says he is waiting for, to drive an F1 car, possibly a Ferrari, in the Bahrain GP he'd turn it down?   :confused: 

Nah  :crazy: - just does not compute.  :P :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 10:37:11 PM »
Unfortunately with Jenson's car nearly hijacked and having to to have guards on the pit lane at night there are similarities.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 11:52:53 AM »
I still don't see the comparison between a few thieves and a full blow revolution.

So if Rubens got the call, he says he is waiting for, to drive an F1 car, possibly a Ferrari, in the Bahrain GP he'd turn it down?   :confused: 

Nah  :crazy: - just does not compute.  :P :D

I don't think I'd question Rubens' morality quite so quickly. I wouldn't accuse him of being just another ethics-free Bernie without cause.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 02:45:49 PM »
The situation in Bahrain is about a few rich people controlling the poorer majority.

The situation in Brazil is that there are a few rich people who don't control the poorer majority.

I agree with Rubens that the big picture is entirely different.  Organised street crime is idealistically different from revolutionaries. 

However, as far as the F1 teams are concerned with regards to danger to the personnel, I don't see the the difference.

Brazail is a democratic country facing the same issues that most Western countries are facing right now:  the rich get richer, the poor get poorer and the desperate will do what they can.  I don't think that's a reason to stay away from Brazil.  I think it's a reason to be careful, and I think F1 teams do take precautions.  If I had to choose between the two countries, I'd pick Brazil as a place to visit, a place to do business and a place to race F1. 

I think that F1 was wrong to do business with Bahrain in the first place, but tearing up contracts just because some thugs show up at the door doesn't send a great message.  I can appreciate that some people are scared in Bahrain, and it's easy to judge from Canadian Surbubia.  Racing in Bahrain grants their leaders a legitimacy they may not deserve.  Not racing in Bahrain grants the revolutionaries a legitmacy they may not deserve.  (I'm hardly impartial.  How can I support a regime that loathes F1 racing?)

F1 is right to 'stay out of it' and hounour their committments, and take precautions.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 04:33:17 PM »
F1 is a sport for the fans.  Without the fans, nothing else would exist. 

Bernie has lost sight of that, and decided to take F1 to countries that have few fans, but a lot of money.  F1 should stay apolitical, however by taking this route (following the money without paying attention to who's back it was made off of), they are becoming anything but.  F1 is 'just' a pawn, but the FIA and FOM knew this going in.  They should take heat from what is going on this weekend as much as anyone else.

Brasil has millions of F1 fans.  Bahrain has a few.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 07:51:53 PM »
F1 is a sport for the fans.  Without the fans, nothing else would exist. 

Bernie has lost sight of that, and decided to take F1 to countries that have few fans, but a lot of money.  F1 should stay apolitical, however by taking this route (following the money without paying attention to who's back it was made off of), they are becoming anything but.  F1 is 'just' a pawn, but the FIA and FOM knew this going in.  They should take heat from what is going on this weekend as much as anyone else.

Brasil has millions of F1 fans.  Bahrain has a few.

Major professional sports, including F1 have fallen into a trap.  You are correct to say it is about 'fans' (and how much you can charge them for tickets, tv rights and tshirts).  However, most sports are run by businessmen.  Buinesses (not just sports!) have gotten into a pattern where revenues must INCREASE year over year.

It's not enough that F1 has x million fans.  It's important that next season there are x + y fans, and the year after x + y + z fans.  Bernie needs to grow the sport.  You can't do that by racing where the fans are.  You race where the fans aren't, and hope that the locals become fans.

I don't know that's 'right', however, CVC bought F1 on the promise of growth.  If it doesn't grow, then their money goes 'poof'.

The alternative is to switch formerly free broadcasts to that of a PayTV provider.  How's that working out for the 'fans'?  (Rhetorically speaking.  Let's keep the focus on Bahrain here!)

So, Bahrain has money.  Bahrain is trying to become a cross roads of the world.  They promise Bernie that people will come from far and wide to support F1 and become fans who will buy tickets, pay TV royalties and buy tshirts.  It's Bernie's job to make sure they're not lying... but if you want to consider him a fool, you have to expect that he might be fooled! 

I expect that the contract will run out, and Bahrain will have to do a lot of work to get back on the calander.  Meanwhile, any 'new' tracks will have to work extra hard to prove they can provide what CVC needs.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 09:18:43 PM »
The teams have some influence; it wasn't the fans who brought F1 back to America, it was pressure from the teams to be in an important market. CVC is positioning itself for a stock offering that will actually recover a large part of their initial investment while maintaining control of the business. They don't car about the fans, the teams or the races as long as they get their fees. It's bad for the sport, but good for business.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle