collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 568
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: FIA tests forward roll-hoop for F1 cars  (Read 2787 times)

David

FIA tests forward roll-hoop for F1 cars
« on: April 26, 2012, 09:34:23 PM »
I can see the safety advantage if there was a wheel coming at you or the car flipped over. Only one problem, the slight disadvantage of massively reduced vision!  :crazy:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99155

Offline Willy

Re: FIA tests forward roll-hoop for F1 cars
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 11:44:41 PM »
That is meant to be installed in front of the driver?
I see more issues with reduced visibility from the drivers seat then there are tire in the helmet issues.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 04:40:32 AM »
Not to mention that it would make this year's cars look good. Something like the NHRA uses in Top Fuel might work if you really need it.

http://www.pixtus.com/forum/attachments/sports/445d1123945410-hot-blonde-top-fuel-dragster-hot-blond-top-fuel-dragster.jpg
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 07:50:46 AM »
This will have major issue with visibility. Recently in an interview, Nico stressed that being so low in the car, so that they could have lower G point, its already difficult specially in twisting tracks, so installing such apparatus in front will only make things worse, though I like the idea, as well as the focus of safety..

Yeah, the accident may have not cost Massa his life, but definitely made him really slow and one feels he somehow lost the touch, what made him drive for Ferrari in the first place..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 07:59:27 AM »
Massa got hit by a small spring.  Nothing like this would have helped.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 11:55:46 AM »
Is one of their strategies to encase the driver in concrete up to his ears as well?!

Also it pointless, if they are that concerned go for a fighter jet style canopy and be done with it, that is the only way to truly protect drivers, as Scott said, it won't stop the smaller debris.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 03:09:20 PM »
If driver safety is the number one issue, then just network 24 Playstations.

I don't want to see drivers hurt.  I don't want to see accidents on track.  All the same, part of the reason these drivers are being paid, part of the thrill of the sport is the fact that they are risking their lives for our entertainment.

Eliminate the obvious risks, of course, but if you take into account every past or possible freak accident, the sport just won't be the same.  What about meteors from above?  What protects the drivers from MoleMen creating a sink hole at Eau Rouge?

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 07:42:10 PM »
Now Jeri, just because we pay them money, does not mean, they have to risk their lives, so that we could get thrilled, either sitting in the grand stand or sitting in front of a tv in a cozy couch. It sounds inhuman, and should never be like this.
They should be taking the risk, and feel the rush as well, but we must make sure among 1000, 999 times he will come out safe, and the one time he wouldn't, because we didn't know it would happen so..

I could name all of the people got killed, because they loved what they did, and believe me even if you pay them less, the true racer will hardly bother..
But to bring back these courageous insane racing people safely to the family should be our duty, our motto.. Safety should never, I say never be compromised with.

I don't want to see the jet-fighter like canopy in the formula one car, it kills the essence of the racing. As Massa showed such accident can be survived, so we should build onto that, we may increase the capability of the helmets as well. I am sure there are many talented designer out there who will ensure both the safety and without killing the beauty of the racing...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 08:08:40 PM »
I don't want to see the jet-fighter like canopy in the formula one car, it kills the essence of the racing. As Massa showed such accident can be survived, so we should build onto that, we may increase the capability of the helmets as well. I am sure there are many talented designer out there who will ensure both the safety and without killing the beauty of the racing...

And what is that 'beauty' and 'essence' if not danger?

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 08:29:45 PM »

And what is that 'beauty' and 'essence' if not danger?

Jeri I am not against danger, and yes I do believe "What is life, if it is not dangerous"..

I just want to make sure I came out 999 time safely out of 1000, but if you make it 50/50..then its a Russian roulette.. and for me pure butchering..And I don't want people to do that..

Can any safety measurement could have saved Simoncelli last year, no I guess not.. I want people to live that danger..and when they die, they should think they died doing what they loved most, not because bunch of people paid him to do so...

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 09:19:35 PM »
I think when you start playing with the vision of the drivers, you bring along probably more danger than you are preventing.  These silly bars will only cause more accidents because drivers can't see things happening, or misjudge a corner.  Any of those accidents could become a freak accident which would bring along more knee-jerk safety measures that are not well thought out.

Fighter style cockpit canopies would be worse in the rain or bad light conditions (no flying by wire in F1), not to mention sun glare in good conditions.  Plus if you are locking a driver in an F1 car, you're going to need fire suppression systems and likely ventilation systems would be required.  They have to be able to get out on their own within something like 3 seconds (not sure what current requirements are, but something like that).  Bend the car and the canopy jams - then what?

No, I think ongoing safety tests are good for the sport, but this one seems a bit daft.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last professional driver to be killed by a tire was John Surtees son.  I don't think it's ever happened in F1.  It's usually the smaller bits going into the cockpit, or massive trauma from hitting cement barriers that cause death in F1.  I would rather see them spend more time working through track (runoff) and barrier design.  As long as someone is policing the teams from weakening the tubs to save weight, I'd say current car safety specifications are pretty good.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 10:37:39 PM »
Remember, this is only a test. One of several methods to deal with this issue. IMO, the search for safety should never stop. Massa was a near miss. If that spring had been a few inches over, he might have died.

We've come a long way from the deadly years of the sixties. I was around then and still remember what it was like. I love racing, but I do not want to see someone get killed.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 04:00:52 AM »
Is one of their strategies to encase the driver in concrete up to his ears as well?!

Also it pointless, if they are that concerned go for a fighter jet style canopy and be done with it, that is the only way to truly protect drivers, as Scott said, it won't stop the smaller debris.

The fighter style canopy failed the test. the Lexan shattered. I am probably wrong but wasn't Senna killed by the tire coming into the cockpit?
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 06:40:59 AM »
I think Senna died because of a steering column, I remember the line ESPN reporter said "Had it hit 6 inches above or below, he would have been telling the story, how it was"...

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 06:51:02 AM »
I guess we better do some research.  I recall that the steering column broke, causing the accident, but he was actually killed by a piece of suspension, not the tire.

Gonna look that one up though...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle