collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 554
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Does the teams take away 50%?  (Read 4241 times)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Does the teams take away 50%?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 03:07:14 PM »
But it is generally true, that a modern V6 will outperform an older V8.  The companies haven't been researching V8s, for whatever reason, and have put their money into V6s. (for 'consumer' level cars)

A modern V8 will kick the backside of any V6. Ford's new Coyote, Chrysler's 392 Hemi and Chevy's LS series V8 will not only outperform turbo 6 popper, they will outlive them by a long shot.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 05:58:46 PM »
But it is generally true, that a modern V6 will outperform an older V8.  The companies haven't been researching V8s, for whatever reason, and have put their money into V6s. (for 'consumer' level cars)

A modern V8 will kick the backside of any V6. Ford's new Coyote, Chrysler's 392 Hemi and Chevy's LS series V8 will not only outperform turbo 6 popper, they will outlive them by a long shot.

'Engine Performance' is very nebulous.

When a 4 cylinder engine will quickly take my 2 tonne SUV to the speed limit, in what way is a V8 going to 'perform' better?  There are more moving parts, so it is likely to suffer a malfunction sooner (okay, I'll concede a higher reving 4 is a wash on the breakdown front).  It consumes more gasoline per km travelled, and it won't get me there faster.

So in short, a V8 costs more to buy, costs more to operate, and doesn't save me any time.

What incentive is there for an engine manufacturer to focus on something that few people want?  If you think people are willing to pay a premium for the chrome V8 sticker, you might want to ask what a silk screened BB is worth on your phone these days compared to 4 years ago.

(Now, if we're talking about torque and hauling, there's no replacement for displacement... but even then, if a V6 does the job, why bother with a V10?  And if we're talking a vehicle whose main purpose is to have fun, well, you're willing to pay I suppose.)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 07:30:17 PM »
 :good: :good: :yahoo:
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 08:40:38 PM »
Turbos run very, very hot. I've never known a street turbo that saw the 100,000 mile mark. Most of my driving is in Appalachia. Underpowered vehicles just don't get it done here. Quickly is a relative term. I would wager that my full size Ford van, even fully loaded, will make it to the speed limit (and beyond) in a far shorter time. And it only has a little 281 cube P.I. cammer in it.

It makes me remember when a G.M. we had here got a 3 popper Metro. He was driving it home from the dealer, going up Main St. hill and turned on the A.C. The poor little thing just stopped in the middle of the street.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 11:43:37 PM »
Well cos, the turbo engines from that part of the Pond never made that much of a performance, and probably prefer the V8's, while companies of this side of the pond like Mercedes, Audi, VW, BMW always made great turbo-charged engines and they have proved their merits in different racing events, but its hardly possible to convince a guy from Ohio, who is in love with V8, the merit and pedigree of turbo -chargers.. :P :P
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 12:47:46 AM »
 :DD :DD :DD :good:
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 09:59:34 PM »
Well cos, the turbo engines from that part of the Pond never made that much of a performance, and probably prefer the V8's, while companies of this side of the pond like Mercedes, Audi, VW, BMW always made great turbo-charged engines and they have proved their merits in different racing events, but its hardly possible to convince a guy from Ohio, who is in love with V8, the merit and pedigree of turbo -chargers.. :P :P

I don't think a turbo make any sense in a consumer car.  If you want performance, you gotta go with a super charger.  All a turbo does is make your car go faster a few moments after you wanted it to.

I think that normally aspirated engines are a far better investment in a daily vehicle.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 04:37:24 AM »
As long as you keep the revs above 3K in my Turbo Subaru Legacy GT, you have no delay. There is noticeable lag with the automatic, but the manual is immediate. Many a Mustang GT owner has learned not to mess with the blue 4 door. It has way more power than either my Firebird V8 or my Taurus V6 and gets better mileage than either of them. I do still regret not keeping the Firebird though. ;)
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 12:00:36 PM »
Don't regret for the beauties that has gone Lonny, keep the memories and wait for the next one..

Offline Monty

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 10:16:58 AM »
Turbos run very, very hot. I've never known a street turbo that saw the 100,000 mile mark.

I'm not going to take sides. I love big V8's. However, someone will pick Cos up on this generalisation so it may as well be me! There are plenty of Mitsubishi Evo's with 100k+ miles on the clock and I'm sure there are other successful Turbo's.
At one stage I was running an Evo x with 330bhp and plenty of torque and at the same time a TVR Chimaera 450 (4.5Litre V8) with 280bhp and even more torque. I loved them both.
Now (due to demands of 25k miles per year) I have a V6 diesel with about 270bhp and a huge amount of torque. This is hardly slow!
Horses for courses!

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 05:28:52 AM »

At one stage I was running an Evo x with 330bhp and plenty of torque and at the same time a TVR Chimaera 450 (4.5Litre V8) with 280bhp and even more torque. I loved them both.
Now (due to demands of 25k miles per year) I have a V6 diesel with about 270bhp and a huge amount of torque. This is hardly slow!
Horses for courses!

You hate Schumacher, call him a cheat, I don't mind at all, but you drive the Evo X 330 bhp and A TVR Chimaera 450 at the same time, now I despise you. How come you run these beauties at a time, you playboy.. :P :P

Tell me how can I fill your shoes, does hating Schumacher comes as a prerequisite? Even it is, I wouldn't mind if I got to drive any of the beauties, I don't mind at all.

Offline Monty

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 08:47:43 AM »
Please note I said 'I used to run an Evo X and a Chimaera'
Now I run Merc C350 CDI (well I am an old man now) although I am going to test drive a TVR T350T next week and hope I can persuade Mrs Monty that it is an essential purchase  :D

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 12:34:21 PM »
I guess, through a combination of terrain, temperature and temperament, we mountain folk are harder on our vehicles than most, and expect more from them. That's why the only Mitzis I ever see around here are one or two grandma sedans. Evos, like WRX's and others, tend to fall to bits within a year. I see more rat rods on the streets than FWD turbos.

V8's are blasting along the back roads of West Virginia in the fall with a fully tweaked 460. They're driving up a ramp in an underground parking lot in a 427 T-Bird, popping open the cut-outs and shaking things so much that you set off car alarms. They are driving a full race Windsor block Mustang on a road course. Feeling a blown hemi top fueler shake the ground, or feeling a pulling tractor with 4 blown hemis seem to cause an earth quake. Hearing 43 NASCAR Cup cars take the green flag.

They are hearing a Ford Cosworth DFV, the greatest, most successful F1 engine ever, at full cry, even once.

I guess after that, the sad little mewwing of a mini-turbo just doesn't cut it.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 01:17:01 PM »
Cos - you are just boasting to make our UK car stories seem even more sad.
V8's over here are very rare. The old TVR's (like my Chimaera) were based on a basic Rover (Buick) 3.5 litre V8 (although after TVR engineering had played with them they were 4.0, 4.5 or 5.0 Litre and would rev to 7000rpm).
We have a few GM Australia Monaro's, Camaro's, Corvettes, Mustangs, etc. but if you saw one a week you would probably be surprised.
Not that we are short on noise. We have lots of young guys that seem not to know which way a baseball cap is supposed to go on their head that drive around in sub 2.0 Litre GM, Ford, Citroen, etc. 4 pots with 4inch water pipes where the exhaust should be. Of course we know it isn't how loud an engine note is, it is how sweet the engine note is. Hard to beat the burble of a big capacity V8.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 05:41:22 AM »
Two small corrections, WRXs and Evos are all wheel drives not FWDs, and while Mitsubishi doesn't have a great record for reliability, Subaru is one of the most reliable brands in the marketplace. Mine is 8 years old, runs great and has had no mechanical issues.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle