collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 571
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Does the teams take away 50%?  (Read 4244 times)

Offline F1fanaticBD

Does the teams take away 50%?
« on: July 01, 2012, 04:08:41 PM »
This piece of article from the pitpass.com, does put a bit of light on such assumptions.

Though it tries to clear Benies's name as a money-shark, but stats does prove a bit of truth in that..

http://pitpass.com/46669-Why-F1s-owners-only-end-up-with-30-of-its-revenues
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 04:16:01 PM by F1fanaticBD »

Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Online cosworth151

Re: Does the teams take away 50%?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 04:53:32 PM »
Some of the truest words in F1:

Ferrari have made their own deal and don't give a stuff about the other teams.

No real surprise that Bernie has tipped the balance in his favor. Sadly, I don't see anything changing that in the near future.

I do have to agree with him on one point: Forcing V6's on all the teams will be the death of F1. The IRL downgraded to mini van motors this year. I've been a huge IndyCar fan for my entire 58 years. This is the first time in my life that I can't work up any enthusiasm for the series.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 05:54:55 PM »
I just don't get you Cos. The cars were faster at every track they ran at so far. A number of mid field teams have been very competitive, it was the best 500 in years but you're crying over an outdated V8 that made it a 1 brand series.  :fool: :fool:
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 07:01:30 PM »
This piece of article from the pitpass.com, does put a bit of light on such assumptions.

Though it tries to clear Benies's name as a money-shark, but stats does prove a bit of truth in that..

http://pitpass.com/46669-Why-F1s-owners-only-end-up-with-30-of-its-revenues

It's true, sports commentators don't understand the business (nor should they need to.  I tune in to hear Coulthard telling me what's on track, not what's in the boardroom.)

I'm not going to lose any sleep over what Bernie takes home every GP weekend.

I do find it fascinating that, at the end of the day, Bernie has very little control over what actually happens in the sport.  Basically he gets to decide where, and how much, but everything else is on someone else's whims.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 08:07:20 PM »
It was far from the best 500. V6's are just inherently bland. NASCAR tried them in the Busch series. It almost died. They needed a new engine, but not some lousy little turbo V6. Turbos were one of the worst things with CART. Why make the same mistakes as the series you bested?

As far as speed, set the rules right and the V8's will not only be faster, but sound much, much better. Putting a V6 in a top class race car is like putting lipstick on a pig. To borrow a phrase from Gone with the Wind, they're "Mules in a horse harness"

Phyllis Diller is much more intelligent than Irina Olkhovskaya (The Ukrainian blond in the test drive video). Which one would you rather spend a week-end with? 
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 01:31:10 AM »
I don't care if they run V-twins, just make the horsepower. And Supercharged and Turbocharged engines are part of the history and lore of the 500 going back decades. The V8 is a great basic design, but it's not magic. There have been great racing engines of all layouts down through the years, and I love 'em all.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 06:36:59 PM »
I don't care if they run V-twins, just make the horsepower. And Supercharged and Turbocharged engines are part of the history and lore of the 500 going back decades. The V8 is a great basic design, but it's not magic. There have been great racing engines of all layouts down through the years, and I love 'em all.

It is a bit of a corner F1 has backed themselves into.

From a technical point of view, running teeny tiny V8s doesn't make any sense.  There's no commercial demand for 1.8l V8 engines, so the investment made is purely into F1.

There is demand for more powerful and efficient V6 engines, so the research can contribute to the bottom line beyond simply racing in F1.

For me... F1 is about high tech cars.  A V8 isn't high tech.

I think the FIA needs to keep out from under the hood (bonnet), and let teams put what they want in there.  If someone thinks a v12 is the way to go, why not?  If someone thinks that they can run the race on full battery power why not?

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 07:38:50 PM »
The Isle of Man TT races incorporates an electric motor cycle race over one lap(37.7 miles)and the top three riders all averaged 100+mph.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 11:32:11 AM »
Cos I agree with you for being a lobbyist for V8 to remain in the sports, but can I raise a point? Turbo- engines ruled the 80's and I am sure you really enjoyed watching them, as Prost, Senna, Nelson, Nigel run across many tracks with them. And the 88's Mclaren, which almost won every single grand prix, was a turbo-charged beast. So we can give the turbo-chargers a chance?

I have never heard the beautiful noise of V8's , so cannot actually comment on that, but I think turbo-chargers will prove that they belong among the best as well. Because I have tremendous faith in the racing engineers who design and build this beauties, and time has proven over and over again, that they could hardly be contained within the boundaries of regulation.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 11:58:32 AM by F1fanaticBD »
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Online cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 01:00:28 AM »
That's why the V8 Mustangs, Challengers and Camaros have large,proud, chrome V8 logos on them, and their V6 brethren have no engine logos at all. It allows their owners to pretend they have a high performance car. That's why the V6 Ferrari street machines carried "Dino" badges, but not "Ferrari" ones.

Supercharged engines have been part of the 500, and F1, for decades. Turbo-muffled engines, not so much. They came about during the CART era, and are one of the main reasons why I never had any use for CART.

Actually, during the dark days of turbos in Indycar and F1, I mostly followed NASCAR. At least the Indy turbos were mostly V8's. And yes, Lonnie, I did always cheer for the Novis to beat the Offys.  ;)
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 01:39:31 AM »
Bobby Unser won the 1968 500 in an Eagle-Turbo Offy. That is decades ago and well before the CART era. Meyer Drake introduced the turbo to try to stay competitive with the Fords.
Lonny

Online cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 01:50:06 AM »
He should have just built a V8.  :P

Have you ever seen a TV commercial where someone says, "Wow! I could have had a turbo V6!" ?
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 03:27:01 AM »
I've seen plenty of Ford commercials saying Eco Boost, the power of a V8, the economy of a V6.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 09:20:31 AM »
Have you ever seen a TV commercial where someone says, "Wow! I could have had a turbo V6!" ?
lol
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 02:35:39 PM »
I've seen plenty of Ford commercials saying Eco Boost, the power of a V8, the economy of a V6.

And we believe everything we see on TV?   :tease:

But it is generally true, that a modern V6 will outperform an older V8.  The companies haven't been researching V8s, for whatever reason, and have put their money into V6s. (for 'consumer' level cars)

My Ford Escape makes 170 hp with a 4 cylinder engine, and is much nicer to drive than the Ford Escape I had 5 years ago with a 180 hp V6.  (The 6 speed auto helps a lot... I get about 600 km/55 litre fill up, the V6 with a 4 speed auto got about 400 km/50 litre fill up)

I don't care what's under the hood in my car, in Jenson Button's car or the winner of the Indy500.  I just want something that does the job, and does the job well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle