collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 611
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Vettel handed a penalty make him 5th in the German Grand Prix  (Read 3004 times)

Offline F1fanaticBD

Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel has been handed a 20-second time penalty by the stewards in Germany for his pass on McLaren’s Jenson Button during the closing stages of Sunday’s race. Vettel had finished the Hockenheim event in second, but the addition of the penalty leaves him fifth in the results.

The stewards decided the German gained an advantage after leaving the track at the exit of the hairpin as he attempted to overtake Button on Lap 66. They elected to give him a drive-through penalty, which when imposed after the race means 20 seconds is added to the penalised driver’s finishing time.

As a result of Vettel’s penalty, Button is promoted to second in the results. Lotus’s Kimi Raikkonen moves up into third and Sauber’s Kamui Kobayashi takes fourth.

I am glad FIA steward were right regarding this issue, and though Vettel had little choice to do anything else to get the 2nd place, it was an offense regardless and rightly punished. It will also serve as a warning for the further races in this season.

Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Vettel handed a penalty make him 5th in the German Grand Prix
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 10:12:18 PM »
I'm not a Vettel fan, and I don't advocate short cutting the track to make a pass, but this seems like bull. Lots of drivers use that extra pavement at the exit, and I don't really think he got an advantage. He may have avoided contact with Button, but the pass was made.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 11:47:30 PM »
I'm not a Vettel fan, and I don't advocate short cutting the track to make a pass, but this seems like bull. Lots of drivers use that extra pavement at the exit, and I don't really think he got an advantage. He may have avoided contact with Button, but the pass was made.

Have to disagree the pass was only possible by running off the track so clearly he gained an advantage, Button had the racing line, Seb's other choice was to get out of the gas and fall in behind.

Lewis and Pastor's incident at the European GP was said by just about everyone to have been Pastor's fault. Lewis had the racing line, everyone claimed, and Pastor should therefore have continued off track and rejoined the track after the corner, giving the place back to Lewis if returned in front of him. Seb's move on Jenson is the same situation except Seb chose to take a wider run off route, so on his return he should have conceded the place.

The rule is quite clear - if all four wheels are beyond the white line then you're off the track, this was reaffirmed by the FIA in driver briefings before the British GP. I can't believe Red Bull thought they would get away with it, first in not telling Seb to give the place back and then trying to argue the move was legal to the media ahead of the stewards decision. Looks like the stewards gave 20 sec instead of a 10 sec penalty, dropping Seb 2 more places, to show they are in no doubt that the place should have been given back immediately.  

IMHO this is the trouble of having mostly paved run off areas at the side of tracks, it may mean less severe injuries to drivers who go off voluntarily or involuntarily, however it encourages drivers to keep the boot in on moves they'd never consider if a gravel trap, or the good old fashioned catch fencing, is waiting beyond the track limit.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 11:51:20 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:18:26 AM »
Vettel should have given the place back. If you gain an advantage of the circuit you have to give the place back, It would have been different if Button had forced him wide and not left him room.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 01:32:53 PM »
I think the rules are clear and fair. If there had been a barrier/grass/gravel there then it would have been a different story.

What I do not agree with is the stewards deciding to award the penalty after the race. Vettel should have been ordered to give the place back so we could have seen the battle between Button and Vettel to see if Vettel could pass without using a run off area. Its down to the drivers/cars/situation on the day that makes F1 so exciting and making him give the place back would have kept the race alive that little bit more.

By giving a time penalty after the event they completely reshuffle the finish results without the fans even seeing a car in action. Personally I like to see the reshuffle of positions live, on the track, on race day.

Wizzo
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

David

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 06:58:37 PM »
Too true Wiz, I hate to see penalties handed out post race.  >:(
The stewards need to make the decision there and then!

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 08:37:09 PM »
To be fair it was the penultimate lap so not a lot would have happened but I think the stewards would have probably done the same even with 10 laps to go.

Why can't they make an instant decision? With all the replays and TV angles available to them its got to be the easiest job in the world.
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Wizzo

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 09:16:51 PM »
Too right, the stewards seem to be in love with post-race penalties, it's not fair for the GG either. Like you say Wiz, they have instant replays on hand, give the penalty there and then.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 04:24:21 AM »
Definitely instant decision will add an extra juice in the excitement of the race, but being diplomatic and politically influenced organization, FIA will not be ever make such step to do so.

And steward's reflex makes Ian look like a hare.. :P :P Missed you buddy in the chat room during the race.. :'(

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 09:51:41 AM »
And steward's reflex makes Ian look like a hare.. Missed you buddy in the chat room during the race..

I thought the chat on Sunday had a much more upmarket feel and was a lot more civilised than normal - I can't think why?  :tease:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:54:22 AM by Wizzo »

Wizzo

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 01:13:17 PM »
And steward's reflex makes Ian look like a hare.. Missed you buddy in the chat room during the race..

I thought the chat on Sunday had a much more upmarket feel and was a lot more civilised than normal - I can't think why?  :tease:

:DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD

Offline Willy

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 11:20:42 PM »
As of Thursday Vettel now complains he was misquoted for comments made during post race TV interviews.
Sorry SEB...a stupid comment that you regret saying is not a misquoted comment. No matter how much you say it is.

I agree the stewards need to respond faster to penelties etc. Post race gives too much time for reflection, and in the heat of action you need to be decisive.

I feel most of these Tilke designed tracks give too much to the drivers in the way of paved runoffs and extra track. If they can't make the move in the space allowed on the pavement, then they shouldn't make the move.
Not a bad thing to tighten up the tracks or put gravel in places currently used as extra track space. No way would Vettel have been able to make that move if there was gravel there.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 06:43:11 AM »
As of Thursday Vettel now complains he was misquoted for comments made during post race TV interviews.
Sorry SEB...a stupid comment that you regret saying is not a misquoted comment. No matter how much you say it is.

For the love of God Vettel, put an end to this stupidity. Admit the mistake and live with it.

Offline Ian

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 10:55:12 AM »
Thank you Wiz  :P , I shall do my best to repay the compliment sometime.  ;)
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 03:00:40 PM »
Can you imagine any other sport putting up with this kind of officiating?

I can't really see MLB making an announcement a few hours after a baseball game is over, "Upon review, we've decided that the grand slam in the 9th inning was really a foul ball, so we're awarding the win to the other team."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle