collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 134
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16176 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13016 Posts
John S John S
11292 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: American view of F1  (Read 4489 times)

davewilson

American view of F1
« on: February 11, 2007, 09:12:41 PM »
NASCAR drivers are far more talented than the vastly overrated F1 drivers. F1 cars are million dollar machines equiped with cheat boxes(traction control). a trained monkey could drive one of these electronic marvels, especially given that there is no passing and no lead changes in F1, you're basically just driving around the track by yourself. nextel cup cars are purposely low tech, ill handleing cars that put the race in the hands of the driver, unlike F1 cars, you acually need to have skill to drive them. i'd love to see shumaker or alonzo at the monter mile in dover racing bumper to bumper, door to door, with the far superior drivers of NASCAR. tony stewart would put them in the wall and keep right on going. there is a reason why F1 drivers are the only ones to refuse to drive IROC races. it's because they know they would be embarassed by the NASCAR drivers, and the myth that europeans have created that F1 drivers are the best in the world would be desolved.

Taken from a Forum over there.

Dont worry i joined and left a deposit:

Now that we have paid back what we owed for WW2....I think we can have our view! On everything.......

The Stig
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 09:20:43 PM by The Stig »

Offline romephius

Re: American view of F1
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 07:25:41 AM »
It's amazing just how delusional some people can be.....

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 02:42:22 PM »
Oh no, we've all been following an inferior sport!

NASCARWIZARD here we come..... ::)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 02:46:59 PM by GPWizard »
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

davewilson

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 04:20:34 PM »
We all got to see what sort of supporters this sport has on Top Gear last night.
No thank you!

The Stig

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 05:01:12 PM »
I feel I need to stand up for NASCAR fans. I've been one all my life. (Up until this year) They are by far the most dedicated, pasionate race fans in the world. They eat, sleep, live and breath NASCAR. They can quote chapter and verse NASCAR history and statistics every bit as well as the most hard core F1 fans. NASCAR draws more fans each year than pro football, baseball and basketball combined.

One big difference between NASCAR and F1 fans is that most of them are fans of a particular driver rather than a team. The devotion of an Elliott of Earnhart fan would put the most rabbid Tifosi to shame. One of my best friends was a Dale Jarrett fan. She had a very nice glass top coffee table made from one of his race tires from Bristol. Another good friend of mine was buried in his Dale Jarrett shirt and jacket.

A week-end at a Cup race is like nothing else in the world. It is a 24 hour a day party for the whole week-end. I have found them to be some of the friendliest, kindest people I've ever met.

If the average American fan has a bad attitude about F1 these days, you have to remember what they've seen of F1 in the past few years. Bernie's blasts about everything from the United States just being a nuisence to F1 to him calling Danica Patrick a "kitchen appliance" still get wide spread airplay over here. So do some very nasty comments from Ralf and Eddie Irvine. And then, of course, the most covered F1 event of all over here was the 2005 debacle at the USGP.

The only race coverage F1 has gotten over here in the past few years has been on Speed Channel, a minor channel that many cable systems don't even carry. (including the only one we can get here in my little town). Even then, the races aremostly at 8:00 am Sunday morning.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 05:04:57 PM »
Sorry about that, I bumped the "Post" button by mistake.

Just one more point: If you think that NASCAR fans have a bad reputation over there, you should see the coverage that european football (soccer) gets over here. One would think that you risk life and limb going to any match over there.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

davewilson

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 05:09:31 PM »
Thanks for pointing things out for us cosworth.
Shumacher has just been offered a chance in Nascar:

Michael Schumacher has been offered the chance to test a NASCAR after saying he could not see what attracted former rival Juan Pablo Montoya to the American series.

The retired legend admitted he was bewildered by the appeal of America’s most popular form of motorsport following the Colombian’s shock defection to the series last year.

“Personally I wouldn’t do it,” he said at Magny-Cours last July.

“What do you do in NASCAR? What is exciting there?

“I can’t see that, running around on ovals.”

But the seven-time world champion has now been given an open invitation to take part in a NASCAR test himself by team owner Ray Evernham in a bid to get him to reconsider his views.

And the American is confident that if Schumacher was to test one of the stock cars he would enjoy the experience.

"I'll put him in a red car, a real good car, any time he wants to come over here and try it," he was quoted as saying by the Associated Press.

"A lot has changed in recent years.

“These cars are looked on as much more sophisticated than they used to be.

“I think he'd find them technical enough to keep him happy."

You never know you may well be watching him?
Let us know if you hear anything on this in future

Thanks;

The Stig

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 05:29:21 PM »
If you think that NASCAR fans have a bad reputation over there, you should see the coverage that european football (soccer) gets over here

Cosworth has a point there, I know who I'd rather hang out with.

Just to clear up a point here, I don't think any of us have anything against NASCAR, but we will obviously jump to the defense of our beloved F1 when our drivers are compared to 'trained monkeys'.

Rightly or wrongly F1 is rated as the pinnacle of motorsport, and all of us here love racing and would happily watch it in any format given the chance.

Just give me the noise and the fumes and I'm happy.

:D
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Ian

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 06:24:19 PM »
 Well cosworth and dare, don't take offence, but Danica Patrick can be a ;to quote, "a kitchen appliance" in my house ANY time(wife might not like it tho'). Have any of you guys looked at her website ? I know cosworth and dare have. Phwooar.  :P
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 06:47:34 PM »
Well cosworth and dare, don't take offence, but Danica Patrick can be a ;to quote, "a kitchen appliance" in my house ANY time(wife might not like it tho'). Have any of you guys looked at her website ? I know cosworth and dare have. Phwooar.  :P

for the eyes of Ian only,no peeping

http://www.indymotorspeedway.com/danica.htm
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

davewilson

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 07:10:08 PM »
Wont she scratch the paintwork with those heels on.............
Fill your'e boots Wizard

The Stig

Offline Ian

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 07:20:03 PM »
Dare, I luv ya, seen a lot of them already but was'nt that a lovely black & yellow sedan ? is that what you call them ? ha

Offline Dare

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 07:21:52 PM »
Dare, I luv ya, seen a lot of them already but was'nt that a lovely black & yellow sedan ? is that what you call them ? ha

was there a car there :D
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline romephius

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 07:32:28 PM »
She has got a great body, but I reckon she looked her best dressed in the race suit, love the natural look. 

The passion is the same regardless of sport, it's the fan that feels it.  I am just as insane as any nascar, soccer or V8 Supercar fan, except my passion is for F1.  As I have said in previous posts, nascar is not about technical driving, it's about nerve, and Australian V8 Supercars take not only the nerve component of Nascar but add technical driving in various types of tracks, but really ask most racing fans what they would rather see, some very good drivers driving in circles, or some very good drivers being challenged not only by other drivers but the track as well.

I know which one I pick......

rom

Offline Ian

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 08:00:48 PM »
Only teasing dare, very very nice, and a good driver too eh

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle