collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 588
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Safety Car Drivers  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Willy

Safety Car Drivers
« on: September 05, 2012, 12:34:25 AM »
My wife and I were watching the Belgian Grand Prix together and after the first corner mess (of which there has been much said) the Safety Car was dispatched for a few laps. One TV shot showed the Safety Car drivers from their onboard camera near the rearview mirror.

At this point my wife asked me why there is a passenger in the car along with the driver.

My first reaction was to say as a backup driver, then I said maybe for vehicle balance as the car is really working hard to stay ahead of the F1 cars behind it.

But in reality, I am unsure and ask your input.
If you know, please let me know.
I dislike not being the font of information that I imagine myself to be in her eyes but I can admit that I do not know it all.
Thanks folks

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Safety Car Drivers
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 01:37:29 AM »

Good question Willy, I've always wondered that myself but never had the incentive to look it up ;) 
I think the passenger is simply there to carry out the tasks, like operating the correct lights and keeping radio contact with race control to allow the driver to concentrate solely on driving.

The FIA Sporting reg 40.1 reads:-

The FIA safety car will be driven by an FIA appointed driver and will carry an FIA observer capable of recognising all the competing cars who is in permanent radio contact with race control.

Not exactly definitive is it.  ::)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 02:06:40 AM »
I'm honestly surprised it isn't one of Bernie's top dollar VIPs.

Don't they sell off pace car rides in NASCAR and IRL?

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 05:29:50 AM »

Then you'd have Bernie on an encrypted channel calling for an "incident" so the VIP gets his ride. I know for a fact Flavio would approve.  :DD :DD :DD
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 12:20:28 PM »

They do, but the VIPs get their rides on an empty track between sessions, in both the Safety Car and the Medical Car.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

David

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 01:39:49 PM »
I'm not sure what the second person in the car does, but I do know he gets a hell of a ride. I watched both the safety car and the med car at Spa and they are flat out round that track. The SLS held the road extremely well, but the big AMG Merc estate (station wagon) med car was drifting round the corners in places!  :yahoo:

When the drivers parade passed us the med car followed slowly up the rear, at the top of the hill before Les Combes the driver gave the big 5.5ltr V8 a blip and let out the lovely exhaust note. The crowd at the top of the hill gave that a bigger cheer than most of the drivers.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 04:51:25 PM »
I thought the accompanying person was a team member from the Medical team, but I guess I am pretty wrong about it..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 05:30:58 PM »
The Medical Car, the AMG estate car that David spoke of, carries the medical personnel.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 06:01:21 AM »
Thanks Cos, that is pretty straight forward obvious, isn't it? But why I could not figure this simple fact that Medical Person will be in the medical car, for the last 10 years... :confused: :confused:

Then actually who is that in the safety car? According to the regulation, it could be anyone...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 09:21:18 PM »
The second person handles communications between the Safety Car and Charlie Whiting. It's also the job of the second person to spot things, such as who is in a given accident, and to summon medical assistance if needed (if it wasn't immediately obvious to Charlie when the accident first happened). Infractions of Safety Car rules (such as being overtaken) are also the observer's department.

By saying it must be an FIA official, the observer has to have had some training for the role. It definitely won't be a VIP unless by some coincidence one of them has the relevant expertise.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Willy

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 11:15:56 PM »
Thanks folks......lots of info to respond to the wife with.
I can understand the role as important especially when the safety car has to pick up the leaders and know who gets to go though etc.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 08:32:29 AM »
Well I am amazed that you guys are having to get together to sort this out and its blatantly obvious!!

On any trip I have done in the car my wife sits there and tells me how to drive and where to go so its the role of the guy in the safety car passenger seat to be the wife!! :crazy:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 04:12:48 PM »
Lol - no kidding
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 12:20:50 PM »

On any trip I have done in the car my wife sits there and tells me how to drive and where to go so its the role of the guy in the safety car passenger seat to be the wife!! :crazy:

:DD :DD :DD :DD

I am sure Mrs. Andy is doing a great job

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle