collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 580
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2013 driver moves revealed  (Read 5338 times)

Offline Dare

2013 driver moves revealed
« on: September 18, 2012, 12:27:28 AM »
I really hope their wrong about Michael's retirement
and to a lesser degree Eddie's wig

http://www.offonf1.com/editorials/display_article/the_2013_driver_moves_revealed/12-09-16

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Willy

Re: 2013 driver moves revealed
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 02:13:55 AM »
As they say...you can't go home!
Micheal was wrong to come back as he is a poor reflection of what he was before. Better to have left it on a high note, now he is leaving with his tail tucked firmly between the thighs. So to speak.

Eddie has a rug?  You don't say.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 02:57:53 AM »
I notice there are three teams missings... is their driver lineup unimportant?  Are the names in flux?  Is their pressence on the 2013 grid in question?

(Of course if it was a matter of names in flux, then what about Lotus and Force India?)

I agree about Schumacher... the sport is better with him than without.  He's earned the right to hold on as long as he wants.  If he has to shuffle up with a walker to his last place car, I wish him all the best.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 06:06:45 AM »
It was written in a sense that neither the 3 teams or their driver ever existed in the paddock. At least Caterham drivers are eligible for the drives in Sauber, Force India, and Timo is also someone should be reckon with.

I thought it will be one of the dull season finale regarding driver's line up for the next, just shows how wrong I was.

Schumacher is someone who can an assest for the improvement of the team, and as I have seen his eagerness to be in the podium and the joy when he almost got the pole in Monaco, I have a feeling he is yet to put his boot..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 09:26:28 AM »
I'm really surprised by how many times Kubica is suggested.  Winning a rally stage with one hand is not proof that he can step into an F1 car again.  I would be interested to see if he could even get himself out of an F1 car in the time necessary to get his superlicense back.  :DntKnw:  It would be fun to see him back in F1, but only if he was 100%

Suggestions that Ferrari hold onto Massa for another year if they have someone like Vettel ready to jump into the car in '14 seem reasonable, but only if they are 100% sure of the signing.  If Alonso is planning on retiring from Ferrari as he says, would he be ready to have someone like Vettel in the other car?  I don't think Alonso will be finished with F1 by then, so I suspect he would veto that kind of move (not that I approve of his power to do that, but...).  So if they DO replace Massa, I hope it isn't with Perez, but could I suggest Grossjean?

I don't see Sauber bothering with anyone else on the grid unless they bring a heap of money, so if they lose Perez, I bet they'll be looking for a new driver outside F1.

I don't think Senna is any less of an asset at Williams than Maldonado (has Pastor brought enough money to keep repairing the cars?), so I bet they'll both stay unless Frank has found a new up and comer to join.  

If Mclaren lose Hamilton, I HOPE they get Perez.

Renault will stay the same is my guess...Grossjean has speed, just needs some guidance.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:31:46 AM by scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 10:48:34 AM »

I don't think Senna is any less of an asset at Williams than Maldonado (has Pastor brought enough money to keep repairing the cars?), so I bet they'll both stay unless Frank has found a new up and comer to join.  

If Mclaren lose Hamilton, I HOPE they get Perez.

Renault will stay the same is my guess...Grossjean has speed, just needs some guidance.

Bruno has only proved he will always be a safe number 2 driver in a team, Williams should look beyond Pastor's contract that has one more year to run and bring on a newbie to take up the running for 2014, just in case Pastor doesn't secure more wins, podiums or sponsorship. Williams no longer have the budget or kudos to attract the real big boys so they have to grow their own and with their healthy financial situation right now they need to build for the future while they can. For me Bottas is a shoe in at Grove, - unless they arrange a swap with FIF1 for the Hulk.  :D

Not sure Grosjean has what it takes, it's his second shot at F1 and he's cost Lotus as much through shunted machinary as Pastor at Williams.  The difference is no one outside the team is picking up the tab for Roman's indiscrestions and with Lotus GP deeply in debt can they afford to keep him?  

I agree about Razia being considered for one of the STR seats, Horner has been making noises in the press about how good he thinks he is so maybe he's also pressing his case inside the Red Bull family. I guess we'll see just who has the edge in the power stakes at Red Bull with how they sort Razia's future out.  ;)

EJ has a rug?  :o  Well blow me down  ;) - maybe he shares development costs with Terry Wogan?  :D

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:27:39 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 12:30:38 PM »
I was surprised at the assumption that Kubica would be back, too. I wonder if this was written before he wiped his car out at the San Martino di Castrozza Rally this past week-end.

I also don't think it's quite valid to compare the pre-accident Massa v. Schumacher with the post shunt (and years older) Massa v. Alonso. I'm not a great Schumi fan, but I'd like to see him around for another season or two, hopefully in a competitive car.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Williamsfan

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 09:36:29 PM »
I love playing F1 musical chairs!  I'm going to go for:

Ferrari- Alonso, Kovalainen
McLaren- Button, Di Resta
Red Bull- Vettel, Webber
Lotus- Raikkonen, Grosjean
Mercedes- Hamilton, Rosberg
Sauber- Perez, Massa
Williams- Maldonado, Bottas
Force India- Hulkenberg, Alguersuari
STR- Ricciardo, Vergne
Lotus- Sutil, Petrov
Virgin- Glock, Senna
HRT- God, Knows.

I don't see Kubica back in F1 in 2013, I'd have thought he'd need a load more recovery time if he is ever going to come back.  I think aside from Schumacher and Hamilton, it will be quite an uninspiring time for moves.  F1 has been fairly settled in recent years. 

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 08:54:31 AM »

HRT- God, Knows.

:DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD

Nobody would have put it any better..

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 12:16:26 PM »
I notice there are three teams missings... is their driver lineup unimportant?  Are the names in flux?  Is their pressence on the 2013 grid in question?

Their new car design makes me think they might have pay drivers.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 10:59:29 AM »
We could have done this exercise as well (or badly) as these paid pundits. I think it's called 'guessing'!
I wish Kubica could come back but I am convinced he will never race in F1 again.
I doubt he could even acheive the 5second escape test.
I said many months ago that I think he will be another Johnny Herbert. He will race but will never be quite fit enough to make it to the top.
I'm not going to list my guesses but two of my hopes are that Shumacher goes (anywhere as long as it is out of motor sport) and Paul DiResta gets the Mercedes drive.

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 12:38:11 PM »
Shumacher goes (anywhere as long as it is out of motor sport)

Gee Monty, we never could have guessed  :o :o

:DD :DD :DD
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 10:14:04 PM »
The key to this is whether Schumacher retires.  I think that he will.  The old Schumacher would have been furious after that accident with Vergne, but he was remarkably relaxed about it all, which suggests to me that he's going to stop.

Regarding Alonso, he's made it clear that he wants to win three world titles, so I suspect that once he has achieved that ambition, he'll retire sooner rather than later.  I'll be sad to see him go though, as I still think that he's the most complete F1 driver, if not the outright fastest over one lap, on the current grid.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 04:20:12 PM »
The key to this is whether Schumacher retires.  I think that he will.  The old Schumacher would have been furious after that accident with Vergne, but he was remarkably relaxed about it all, which suggests to me that he's going to stop.

Regarding Alonso, he's made it clear that he wants to win three world titles, so I suspect that once he has achieved that ambition, he'll retire sooner rather than later.  I'll be sad to see him go though, as I still think that he's the most complete F1 driver, if not the outright fastest over one lap, on the current grid.

Two good points made buddy. :good: :good: I had the same feeling regarding Schumacher after Singapore, apology and Schumacher was never in the same page. I have a feeling he is just waiting for Mercedes to sort out their driver, then he will say his words. I will be sad to see go though :'( I wanted him to step in the top podium at least one time..

I also agree with you, that Alonso is the complete driver in the current F1 grid, and these current Topsy-tervy season he has shown his color, and his relentless pursuit for the best possible result. Yes he is been greatly favored by weather in number of races, but at least he was always there to enjoy those benefits, that also says a lot about him this season.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 11:29:46 AM »
Lots of moves have been announced this morning.  Eddie Jordan was right!  The details can be viewed here, but in summary:  Hamilton is moving to Mercedes (as EJ predicted) to replace Schumacher, who has yet to confirm his future plans.  Perez is replacing him at McLaren.

It's a great opportunity for Perez to really rub di Montezemolo's nose in it regarding the comments the latter made about his lack of experience.  I wish Sergio well.

As for Hamilton, there has been a lot of psychological stuff going on in the background between him and McLaren, and that, combined with a higher salary being on offer at Mercedes, is why I feel he has chosen to move.  I'm really not sure that this is going to be a positive career move in terms of results though.  Despite the presence of Ross Brawn, I remain to be convinced that Mercedes have the right staff to sort out their aerodynamic issues.  What do the rest of you think?
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle