collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 614
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Inconsistant Stewards  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Willy

Inconsistant Stewards
« on: October 10, 2012, 12:41:11 AM »
Okay, please explain how Grosjean can pull the same stunt twice in different races and one time he gets a race ban and the next a ten second stop & go penalty.

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Inconsistant Stewards
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 01:39:11 AM »
This time he didn't nearly decapitate a 2 time WDC, championship points leader and most importantly FERRARI #1 driver.  ;)
Lonny

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 03:40:49 AM »
This time he didn't nearly decapitate a 2 time WDC, championship points leader and most importantly FERRARI #1 driver.  ;)

:good:
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 09:47:27 AM »
Still makes you wonder.  It's OK to wipe out someone with a bonehead move on the first corner as long as you don't 'almost' kill someone (don't forget Alonso walked away without a scratch)?

:crazy:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »
Wouldn't a good way to deal with some of the driver error penalties to be swapping grid positions or handing over race points when it applies?

i.e.  you block, you trade grid positions if it benefits the blocked driver.  In a race, if you cause a collision and are determined to be the cause of an incident, all your driver and team points gained go to the driver/team you crashed into?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 10:27:49 AM »
Okay, please explain how Grosjean can pull the same stunt twice in different races and one time he gets a race ban and the next a ten second stop & go penalty.

The only explanation I can think of is the difference in speed he was carrying in each incident. We are never given the full info that the stewards see so it's hard for us to really know what happened, we see the TV pictures but this may not tell the whole story.

I'm not happy defending 'wrecker Roman' but I do think every incident deserves full detailed examination before the stewards give punishments and they should not be influenced by previous misdemeanors, unless they occur in that race of course, - that's the FIA's job which it ducks at the moment.

Maybe they should routinely publish their findings after each race with telemetry data, the FIA published statement on the incident (see below) just reports the absolute bare minimum.

The bigger problem surely is the strange FIA rules that mean no further punishments can be considered, even if the stewards; missed something, got it wrong, or plain just showed favouritism. Most other sports have an override mechanism from the governing body to either; (a) reopen any controversial or odd decisions taken on the day, (b) give further punishment on a totting up basis for repeat offenders.

http://184.106.145.74/fia-f1/f1-2012/f1-2012-15/Formula%201%20Japanese%20Grand%20Prix%202012%20DocumentNumber-43.pdf

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 10:46:18 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 12:06:03 PM »
I think they decided to treat the ban as a "semi-reset" situation. Combined with a tendency to judge by consequences instead of actions (this accident did not involve multiple title contenders being removed from the race or near-headstrikes), that would explain why it was "only" a 10-second stop/go penalty. I say "only" - I remain convinced that if Maldonado, say, had done it, then it would have been a drive-through at most.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 07:39:05 PM »
The judgement was purely based on the fact that no other influential team was pressing for a harsh punishment, though it was an error made by Romain, it was nowhere near as horrific as the Spa.

In my opinion, it was worse than Spa, because there Romain was in front, and it was more of a racing accident with a bit of aggressive driving from Romain. But here it is just simply missing a breaking point, and in my view because of utter ignorance. But as there was no peer pressure to hand over a harsh punishment, hence a 10 second stop and go penalty.

Wonder what are the penalties left that he doesn't served yet? :DntKnw: :DntKnw:
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 12:00:55 AM »
Penalties Romain's not had yet:

- Community service
- Post-race time penalty
- Suspended ban
- Licence removal
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Cam

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 12:20:49 AM »
Grosjeans story is that he was so busy watching Perez that he misjudged where Webber was in front of him.  If it is true it shows a concerning lack of awareness for an elite driver, my concern is that this was brought on by desperation to avoid the very event that occured. After all the criticism, he was already so paranoid that he developed tunnel vision and latched onto Perez.  Somewhere in the back of his mind he probably had a (not unreasonable) expectation that the Red Bull would clear the corner in front of him.

I surmise that if you had access to all the data you would find that both Webber and Grosjean were both taking reasonable but very different lines through the corner.  After all Grosjean wasn't all locked up and sideways, and it was a fairly light touch of front tyre to rear tyre that in itself did not cause any damage.  Thus while it was clearly Grosjeans fault it was much further on the scale towards "racing incident" than Spa.

A 10 sec stop/go is virtually a race ban anyway, and it couldn't have been administered at Spa because he was already out of the race.
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

Offline Irisado

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 10:31:04 PM »
It was a less serious misjudgement by Grosjean, so I don't think that the stewards were being inconsistent, rather they just imposed a penalty which was appropriate for the incident.

As for Grosjean, at least his first lap antics have livened up a number of races which would otherwise have been pretty dull, and not all his first lap incidents have been his fault alone, as the analysis on the BBC showed.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle