collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 153
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16161 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12992 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2013 ALMS Schedule Posted  (Read 2320 times)

Offline cosworth151

2013 ALMS Schedule Posted
« on: October 20, 2012, 04:53:01 PM »
The Cowpie on the Prairie has destroyed another of America's great races. The American Le Mans Series just released the schedule for next season. The wonderful ALMS-IndyCar joint week-end at the beautiful, wooded Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course will be sacrificed to give a date to the bland, barren Austin circuit.  :sick:

ALMS CEO Scott Atherton explained: “Our business plan calls for a maximum of 10 events. This situation, coupled with lack of viable television options with our traditional August Mid-Ohio date, prevented us from returning in 2013. We consider Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course to be one of North America's best road-racing venues, and we look forward to opportunity to return with the unified series in 2014.”

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121019/alms/121019814#ixzz29r4EPw3q

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

Re: 2013 ALMS Schedule Posted
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 08:33:54 PM »
CEO wanted to say

"We know it is all good, and yet we will not go there to race..

Why shall we do that? Because we need to prove that we are.. STUPID"
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 10:20:01 AM »

Come on Cos, if you were organising the ALM series would you really not consider taking your cars, in the last year as a proper tech series, to the most up to date race track surface in the US, especially to join up with the World Endurance championship?

ALMS certainly has more in common with the Endurance field than Indy cars, but I think dropping Mid-Ohio has more to do with new the tie up with Grand-Am than the emergence of COTA onto the scene.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »
Just because the FIA made an incredibly stupid move (After all, that's what the FIA does) why should the ALMS follow suit? Since the ALMS-owned Sebring is being knifed by the FIA, why in the world would The ALMS help to justify the move. If anything, they should schedule a race at Sebring for the same week-end.

COTA is a poorly designed (Tilke) track in a bland setting in an area that has proved time and time again that they only watch races that turn left. Anybody remember Texas World Speedway? Mid-Ohio is a proven, classic circuit in a beautiful woodland setting. If they felt it necessary to go to The Cowpie, why not dump one of the street circuits?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 03:02:20 PM »

COTA is a poorly designed (Tilke) track in a bland setting in an area that has proved time and time again that they only watch races that turn left. Anybody remember Texas World Speedway? Mid-Ohio is a proven, classic circuit in a beautiful woodland setting. If they felt it necessary to go to The Cowpie, why not dump one of the street circuits?

Without seeing a single race take place at COTA that seems an extraordinary claim to make.  

I can understand your frustration at losing the race at a venue you rate, but I'm reserving judgement until I've seen some racing take place at the new Texas track. From what I've seen from promo pics and vids, the elevation changes and variety of corners at COTA seem to make it anything but cowpie.

As for the woodland setting that's not really an objective qualification, might be real purty - but not all areas of the world are blessed with forested areas to drive through. I much prefer Brands Hatch in it's wooded setting to the open, flat and windy Silverstone, but F1 will never return to Brands.  :(  

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 03:14:37 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 03:16:43 PM »
I agree John. Tilke has only designed 1 decent track in my opinion, Turkey. But, I'm willing to postpone judgement on COTA until I've seen some racing there. San Antonio is a nice town, and they seem to want the race while Indy doesn't. After all the Indy road course is not exactly a classic either. As for the ALMS, Sebring not being in the WEC is a tragedy and stupid, I hope the FIA and ACO reconsider. The ALMS will get a lot more publicity and exposure to a wider audience at COTA than at Mid Ohio. I'm sure they understand the importance of M/O to their fans and will return there as soon as possible.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 09:00:04 PM »
Without seeing a single race take place at COTA that seems an extraordinary claim to make. 

I know a Herman Tilke track will be awful the same way I know a Real Housewives of.... TV series will be awful, the same way I know an Adam Sandler movie will be awful: because they all are. They are the Trabaunts of their respective fields of endeavor.

I'm sure they understand the importance of M/O to their fans and will return there as soon as possible.

They won't exist after next year. They will be swallowed up by NASCAR and gone in 2014.
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 11:35:23 PM »
Then Grand Am will race there. I know, you don't like such crude technology. I assume you also hate Sprint Cars and Midgets, because they are equally crude. Did you know that Toyota has won the last 2 LMS races with their minivan motors?
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 12:14:40 PM »
Sprints and midgets don't claim to be prototypes of future technology. They aren't supposed to be the apex of technology. They rejoice in being anachronisms. They are entry level racing.

ALMS, as good as it is, is still a feeder series. The same minican that won at Petit is a backmarker when real engines (like Audi) are in the field.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle