collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 294
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16175 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13015 Posts
John S John S
11290 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Randy Bernard Out at IndyCar?  (Read 4187 times)

Offline cosworth151

Randy Bernard Out at IndyCar?
« on: October 24, 2012, 06:25:49 PM »
AutoWeek is reporting that IndyCar was full of talk Tuesday that a change in management is coming. Former bull riding boss Randy Bernard, who oversaw a double-digit drop in IRL viewership this season, may be on the way out as part of Tony George's return to the helm of the sport. Sounds like a win-win to me.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121023/indycar/121029936#ixzz2AEpIljrs

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

Re: Randy Bernard Out at IndyCar?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »
At Indycars, I think any change will be good.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 03:44:40 AM »
Yeah, I gave Bernard the benefit of the doubt (if Gary Bettmen put the NHL on the map, despite knowing jack about hockey, then why can't a cowboy run race cars?), so I'm disappointed that he couldn't get IRL sorted out.

The Indy500 is supposed to be greatest race on Earth, time to do that again!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 07:16:55 AM »
I'm sorry, TG almost flushed open wheel racing down the toilet the last time he was in charge, so why does he deserve another chance?
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 11:11:45 AM »
Because the guy who would be best for it from Phoenix hasn't sent in his résumé  ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »
There you go again. We just went back to a season of the old CART: turbo muffled hand grenades on claustrophobic street tracks. We went back to the same result, too. People tuned out in droves. A double digit drop in viewership.

Please, Tony, hurry back while there is still a series to save!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 03:02:13 PM »
I'm sorry, TG almost flushed open wheel racing down the toilet the last time he was in charge, so why does he deserve another chance?

Who would you have running IndyCar?

Michael Andretti is part of the ownership group holding TG's leash.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 04:30:39 PM »
Michael has supposedly dropped out of this group. It's Roger and Kalkoven backing him. And while TV viewership is down it's true, overall PROFITS to the Hulman girls are up. Not likely they would want to give that up unless the are really feeling sorry for TG. Every website I've visited says reaction to this story is about 9 to 1 against TG. Hopefully the sisters are listening.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 11:05:12 PM »
I think that probably says more about your choice in websites than anything else. I really can't think of a single thing Bernard has done right.
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 02:22:28 AM »
No, I think it says you are in a small minority supporting TG. The series is in much better shape today than 3 years ago with the notable exception of TV ratings. And that is partly due to a contract with NBC that TG helped negotiate.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 12:11:52 PM »
No, its just that very few people want to watch quiet little V6's playing follow the leader through boring street circuits. Americans even tuned out NASCAR when they tried to cram PC V6's down their throats. The fact that the cars aren't even open wheel any more doesn't help, either.

This was the first time in my life that I couldn't work up any enthusiasm for IndyCar. I've been a life long Indy fan. I was born about 45 minutes away from The Speedway. Sadly, now, there's not really much left to like.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 03:34:18 PM »
No, its just that very few people want to watch quiet little V6's playing follow the leader through boring street circuits. Americans even tuned out NASCAR when they tried to cram PC V6's down their throats. The fact that the cars aren't even open wheel any more doesn't help, either.

This was the first time in my life that I couldn't work up any enthusiasm for IndyCar. I've been a life long Indy fan. I was born about 45 minutes away from The Speedway. Sadly, now, there's not really much left to like.

I think the number of people who care about V8 NASCAR has dropped pretty quickly too.

All top tier motorsports are suffering the same problems:  I can go to the nearest  dealership, plunk down $8K for a used Kia and get a car that has a peppy engine, decent handling and reasonable fuel efficiency.  No longer do I have to watch racing to get that vicarious 'need for speed'.  Any country road, any stretch of highway, and I can go 0-100 quick enough to feel it, corner fast enough to feel like I'm driving by the edge of my seat.

(I will not suggest that used KIA is as nice to drive as any other car.  I'm just saying it passes that 'good enough' threshold that you can feel like an auto enthusiast without the effort)

F1, IndyCar used to be about pushing the tech, but there's no where left to push without actually pushing away from the past.  The problem is, every time they try to get new fans, they just end up losing old ones.

I just want to see the top racers race, with the support of engineers, designers and a top pit crew.  They need to put on a spectacle.  I have no idea what they can possibly do to please old fans while attracting new/lapsed ones. 

Randy Bernard clearly doesn't know. 

Tony George might be the only man alive who is willing to try.

Offline Dare

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 03:42:02 PM »
Ten years ago the Kia's and the Hyundai's were thought of as a
piece of crap car [[Kia had a buy one get one free sale].Now look
them up on the car reviews and they have reliability reports far
better than the high end German cars and they look great too.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 04:52:08 AM »

More people attended Long Beach than any oval event except Indy itself. The only oval race that has seen a year to year increase in attendance is Iowa. I agree the new cars are ugly as sin, but the V6s were faster at almost every circuit on the schedule. Even the ovals were more exciting, with actual passes taking place instead of Racer X unsuccessfully trying to pass Racer Y around the outside lap after lap. Sorry you can't find something exciting in any of that.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »

Have to say I didn't like the new look cars this year in Indy, not because of the engines but to me the bodywork looks more like it's designed with merchandising in mind to make a good toy model car for kids to play with.  ;)

However in the races I've seen the interaction and new passing opportunities between the cars make it better than the previous couple of years. This new spec that makes Dario work his socks off for nowt has to be a good thing surely?  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle