collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 570
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Caterham in the Snow  (Read 3308 times)

Online cosworth151

Caterham in the Snow
« on: November 07, 2012, 01:37:54 PM »
Who says you need front wheel drive in the snow? Here's a Caterham Supersport proving that rear wheel drive, a good set of tires and proper skills will take you just about anywhere you want to go. And, you'll have a lot more fun getting there! Just watch how often he has the wheel at opposite lock.

I would prefer mine with a top (hood, for our Brit friends).

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

vintly

Re: Caterham in the Snow
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 04:02:33 PM »
Excellent post - that looks like a load of fun. And he was certainly enjoying it. Loved the little smile at the end, what a geezer.

Not sure if we do call it a hood cos? I've always thought of it as a top - soft-top, hard-top etc. Anyway, it's thanks to us Brits you can even read. ;)

Online cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 04:09:03 PM »
I was just going by what they call them in the MG parts catalogs.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

David

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 08:55:44 PM »
Nice run up the mountain without the snow, he has some balls pushing like that on such a slippery looking road. Surprised he was able to smile at the end given how cold he would have been...Brrrrrrr!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:47:13 AM »
Lots of fun, but I seriously doubt the average driver would have made it a couple of turns without spinning or crashing.
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 06:39:18 AM »
Please forgive my ignorance, but is this the same Caterham, that we have in the F1 grid?

If not, why is this particular team is determined to make this marques confusing for us?

First with the Lotus and now possibly Caterham..

Regarding the video awesome drive... Even if I could a passenger to that drive I would love that equally, great driving skill and technique not to mention..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 08:49:56 AM »
Its a great drive in the snow although the drop off would scare the hell out of me.

Every time I visit the Autosport show I treat myself to the Caterham drifting experience.

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Online cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 12:29:45 PM »
Caterham's current road car, the one shown in both vids, started life as the Lotus 7 in 1957. It was as close as you could get to a two seat, street legal version of the F1 cars of the day. About 1972, when Lotus stopped production, Caterham purchased the rights and continued with the car to this day. So, in a way, Caterham's production cars are Lotuses (Loti?)

Here is one of the most famous Lotus 7's, the one Patrick McGoohan drove in The Prisoner. Actually, I refer the looks of the clamshell front fenders on the earlier ones, like this one, to the cycle fenders on the newer models

― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 08:38:58 PM »

Actually the Lotus 7 was the successor to and based on the Lotus 6 (VI) a kit sportscar chassis for Clubman racing. Colin wanted the 7 to be a car that you could use on the public roads but still race competitively in Clubman racing at the weekends, either as a factory built car or as a kit car. Plenty of the cars, as Caterhams now of course, still fufill both roles 55 years later.  :swoon:

The clam style mudguards may look cool but when bigger and faster engines were used, in place of the original 1200cc Ford side valve unit, these same mudguards had a tendency to make the front of the car lift dangerously, the cycle style cured most of this problem.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:41:18 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 11:09:44 PM »
Still in a bit of a confused state, does this Caterham have anything to do with the formula one team?

Please forgive my ignorance again, because this team is really making me confused :confused:

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 12:45:50 AM »
Tony F started his F1 team and called it Lotus, with the idea he would take over the road car company and reunite the two. That didn't happen. He released the Lotus name after the court proceedings. He then took the next step of investing in Caterham Cars, a company that produces small sports cars, renaming his team Caterham. His goal has always been to have an F1 company that represents a road car company. He feels there is or will be a market in Asia for a small inexpensive sports car and he wants to provide one. Since he couldn't do that with the Lotus brand, he intends to build up the Caterham brand. The link with Renault/Alpine is another step in that direction.
Lonny

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 04:37:19 AM »
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 07:18:42 PM »
Thank You Lonny, and apologies for being A BIT LATE.. :-[ :-[

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle