collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 526
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Horner to Replace Ecclestone at Helm of F1?  (Read 4590 times)

Online cosworth151

Horner to Replace Ecclestone at Helm of F1?
« on: November 29, 2012, 02:00:59 PM »
I just read this on AutoWeek.com. Not a bad idea, IMHO:

One man from within F1 who has been tipped to replace him is 39-year-old Christian Horner, who took over as boss of the championship-winning Red Bull Racing team in 2005.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121127/f1/121129902#ixzz2DYyhAzfp

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

Re: Horner to Replace Ecclestone at Helm of F1?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 02:20:11 PM »
Wow, not yet 40yrs old and possibly in line to run the FOM?  Maybe Horner could sort things out with a bit of emphasis on the fans instead of the bankers.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 03:15:32 PM »
Wow, not yet 40yrs old and possibly in line to run the FOM?  Maybe Horner could sort things out with a bit of emphasis on the fans instead of the bankers.

How old was Bernie when he banded the teams together?

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 03:41:11 PM »
I guess about the same if they say he's been running things for 40yrs. 

I think Bernie was a bit pushier though  ;)

vintly

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 04:36:22 PM »
But who's tipped Horner? Is there any meat to this story? Or is it just tofu hiding behind a huge pile of yesterday's wilting salad? Personally I can't see Horner wanting the job, at least not yet. It looks like he's got a few more championships to win with Red Bull before getting bogged down with ageing promoters and the dark shenanigans of promoting the whole business.

Bernie strikes me as someone who loves all that, Horner not so. Maybe it's a job for Flavio.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 06:02:40 PM »

Bernie strikes me as someone who loves all that, Horner not so. Maybe it's a job for Flavio.

He will make things interesting, and the chances are there the whole F1 circus will be summoned if Flavio is in the helm, because the history says, no matter where ever he goes, no matter what business he does, he is always have to leave it charges and controversial issues with him.

But surely he will make those pit babes wear more skimpy outfits, will be good for Ian and gang.. ;)
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 07:45:02 PM »

You're right, the story is probably baseless - some reporter speculating what will happen if Bernie loses in court.

We've tossed Flav's name around before.  His resume is good.  He's greedy, a good deal maker, knows promotion inside out, appears to be attracted to models taller than himself, but he does like to be in the spotlight, maybe a wee bit too much.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 07:58:16 PM »
Flavio would be the only thing that could make me hope that Bernie stays.  :sick:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 08:23:13 PM »
Flavio would be the only thing that could make me hope that Bernie stays.  :sick:

:DD :DD :DD

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 09:59:51 PM »
But who's tipped Horner? Is there any meat to this story? Or is it just tofu hiding behind a huge pile of yesterday's wilting salad? Personally I can't see Horner wanting the job, at least not yet. It looks like he's got a few more championships to win with Red Bull before getting bogged down with ageing promoters and the dark shenanigans of promoting the whole business.

I think you underestimate Christian's ambition and ability. By his own admission he became a team owner as his own driving was not up the standard to progress. His Arden team was, and still is, a big success before he was recruited to run the Red Bull operation. I think it would be very wrong to think he is just a yes man to Mateschitz, it's no mean feat to keep Newey, Marko, Vettel and Mateschitz singing from the same hymn sheet; whilst at the same time swimming freely in the shark tank populated by rival F1 owners and F1 powerbrokers.

The funny thing is Christian's resume spookily looks a lot like one Bernard Charles Ecclestone's about thirty or forty years ago.  :swoon:      

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 10:33:46 PM »
I hope he take the job a bit later. Though Red Bull may have won three consecutive double championships, but to keep them going, I thing Horner needs to be around, specially during that 2014 regulation change period.

vintly

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 08:28:42 AM »

I think you underestimate Christian's ambition and ability. By his own admission he became a team owner as his own driving was not up the standard to progress. His Arden team was, and still is, a big success before he was recruited to run the Red Bull operation. I think it would be very wrong to think he is just a yes man to Mateschitz, it's no mean feat to keep Newey, Marko, Vettel and Mateschitz singing from the same hymn sheet; whilst at the same time swimming freely in the shark tank populated by rival F1 owners and F1 powerbrokers.

The funny thing is Christian's resume spookily looks a lot like one Bernard Charles Ecclestone's about thirty or forty years ago.  :swoon:      

I don't doubt Horner's ambition and ability - he's a big reason why I'm a Red Bull fan - I just don't think he's want the job - YET. Red Bull is a young team - Horner and Newey seem keen to develop it further and there's plenty more championships in the next 5+ years for them to challenge for. I think Horner would be ideal to run F1 eventually, and god help us all if Flavio is at the helm - that was a sick joke.

Nor did I imply Horner he is a yes man, to anyone.

Anyway, I hope Bernie wriggles out of his current financial binds and carries on for a few years. A full-on character, charging around at 82, sharp as a tack. As a ringmaster should be.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 09:32:48 AM »

Nor did I imply Horner he is a yes man, to anyone.

Nor you did Vintly, Sorry if my reply makes it look like you did.  :-[

I was attempting to show it as one of Christian's positive attributes.

I don't doubt Horner's ambition and ability - he's a big reason why I'm a Red Bull fan - I just don't think he's want the job - YET. Red Bull is a young team - Horner and Newey seem keen to develop it further and there's plenty more championships in the next 5+ years for them to challenge for

In the highly competetive world that is F1 most, if not all, of the people taking part are always after the faster and better thing, drivers change teams to get what they percieve is better machinery, designers and engineers also seek new challenges - heck Newey has had stints at 3 major teams but still craves new and better things.

I'm firmly of the opinion that Christian also has that same yearning to test himself against the biggest and best challenges in the F1 paddock; they don't come much bigger than Bernie.

Surely the time to change team, career, or just house, is when you don't really need to, else you find the best deals may not be on offer?

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:34:26 AM by John S »

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 12:40:18 PM »
Does he still own Arden?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 10:41:54 PM »
Does he still own Arden?

Yes, he and brother Garry own and run Arden International Motorsport, I think his brother helps take care of day to day matters of the GP2 team and this year's entry to Formula Renault 3.5 series (formerly World series by Renault), although Christian is still the main driving force of the outfit.

There is also Horner's partnership with Mark Webber in ownership of the GP3 team MW Arden.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle