collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 299
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Webber to drive Porsche LMP1 in 2014?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Webber to drive Porsche LMP1 in 2014?
« on: February 13, 2013, 11:02:54 AM »
Pitpass.com's Mat Coch not totally convinced by Mark's denial.                      

Heading into his twelfth season in Formula One, Mark Webber has been linked with a move to endurance racing for 2014, joining Porsche upon its return to the LMP1 class.

The rumours have been fuelled by the fact that Red Bull driver owns a limited edition Porsche 911 GT2 RS which he's been known to enjoy around the famous Nordschleife circuit in Germany.

Webber made his way to Formula One via the Mercedes endurance racing programme, famously crashing in the 1999 Le Mans 24 Hours when a design flaw saw him flip his CLR twice.

"Like anyone else who's interested in motorsport, I'm aware of Porsche's return to sports prototype racing and Le Mans in 2014," he told Pitpass. "It's an exciting prospect and fantastic news for endurance racing."

Webber has moved to distance himself from rumours that he is embarking on his final Formula One campaign, though he stopped short of an outright denial.

Much has been made about the Australian's future since he inked a one-year extension to his Red Bull contract shortly after the British Grand Prix last season. It marks the Australian's seventh year with the Milton Keynes squad, which has so far netted the partnership nine Grand Prix wins.

Webber openly admits he is nearer the end of his Formula One career than the start and has in recent years had to fend off ever more questions over his prolonged involvement at the sport's pinnacle. Of course, all good things must come to an end, but Webber refuses to consider his future beyond the current year.

"It's inevitable people are speculating and linking my name to things I may or may not do," he concedes.

"But, I'm not thinking about anything other than 2013 and the first race of the year in Melbourne," he added. "It's how I've played every year of my career and I'm sure if I continue to do that the future will take care of itself."

Porsche is set to make its return to LMP1 after an absence of five years. It was last involved in a factory capacity in 2008, though continued with the RS Spyder as a customer car until 2010. The company last won Le Mans in 1998 with the 911 GT1.

by Mat Coch, pitpass.com, Today.
Copyright © Pitpass 2002 - 2013. All rights reserved.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Webber to drive Porsche LMP1 in 2014?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 12:30:23 PM »
It's no secret that Webber is my favorite of the current drivers. That said, it would be foolish of him not to have a Plan B for next season. There are two conciderations besides his age: 1. Red Bull is actually Team Vettel, and 2. There may be 4 to 6 fewer seats next season as several more teams collapse.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 07:10:35 PM »
6 seats fewer than today Cos? 2 of Marussia almost certain, if that Force India does not cut himself out of Kingfisher's trouble they may make the count 4, though it will be very unfortunate, but who will finish the other two spot? :DntKnw:
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 01:21:01 AM »
I can see Caterham and/or Lotus having finance problems. Also, Mercedes' bean counters might pull the plug if the team doesn't find a win or two.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 04:05:00 AM »
I see good things for Marussia this year. There one big downfall this year could be having two rookie drivers. Otherwise I wouldn't be at all surprised if they do better than Caterham and break into the midfield. But Good results doesn't mean they won't collapse..

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 12:27:43 AM »
Glock thinks Marussia will slide back because their drivers don't have enough experience to develop the car properly and get the most from their KERS.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle