collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 83
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16178 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13016 Posts
John S John S
11293 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: NASCAR Afraid of the Truth  (Read 4406 times)

Offline cosworth151

NASCAR Afraid of the Truth
« on: March 29, 2013, 02:14:44 PM »
The new, Gen 6 NASCAR Cup car must be a real disaster. The sanctioning body it taking draconian measures to stifle drivers' comments about it.

Driver Denny Hamlin was fined $25,000 for negative statements about the new car. In response to a firestorm of fan protest, Brian France said, "There is one line that we are not going to tolerate and that's going to be criticizing the quality of the racing product in any way, form or fashion."

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130327/nascar01/130329818#ixzz2OwCdS0Vz

I was an avid NASCAR fan for most of my life. This is a fine example of why I have no interest in the sport feudal holding any more.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

Re: NASCAR Afraid of the Truth
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 02:51:59 PM »
I thought the USA was the land of the free, which includes free speech, seems like we're going down that road as well Cos.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 02:17:04 AM »
France doesn't seem to understand that an opinion can't be wrong. it's an opinion! If Hamlin really thinks the new car is not as good as the old one, that's his opinion and he's entitled to it. NASCAR has made a series of poor rules changes to the point that you can't tell the cars apart. I rarely watch anymore, but one thing hasn't changed: The France family is in charge and love 'em or hate 'em you will do it their way.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 12:43:37 PM »
France doesn't seem to understand that an opinion can't be wrong. it's an opinion!

Hmmm, there's a couple around here like that  ;) ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 12:50:40 PM »
 :DD  :DD  :DD Good one Scott.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 07:30:39 PM »
Perhaps someone should tell France that the internet considers censorship a form of network error and routes around it. Or that heavy-handed rejection of a possibly-valid complaint (I don't know if it is valid, as I don't do NASCAR) tends to validate the complaint rather than the rebuttal.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 03:19:57 AM »
I think it's fascinating that he says you can question rulings, penalties, pretty much anything that's a judgement call, but you can't knock the rules or the car.  :DntKnw: :fool:
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 11:13:36 AM »

I kinda see where NASCAR is coming from, the series is their product, no company allows it's staff to criticise their product publicly. All teams and drivers signed up to the new spec so effectively they are partners in the new product.

We may not like them stifling this sort of comment but they probably feel that unless they jump on such talk all the drivers will start blaming the new Gen 6 spec, instead of their own, or team, skills in running the new car. After all it's the same for everyone, as commentators are quick to point out when the tyres or rain causes upsets in F1. 

I wonder how F1 will handle comments when the new era starts next year?  :D
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 04:24:28 PM »
All teams and drivers signed up to the new spec so effectively they are partners in the new product.

That makes it sound like they had some kind of choice. They didn't. It was, "Race this or go home."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 04:26:59 PM »
All teams and drivers signed up to the new spec so effectively they are partners in the new product.

That makes it sound like they had some kind of choice. They didn't. It was, "Race this or go home."

They had a choice,it was "Race this or go home." ;)
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 07:53:33 PM »

They had a choice,it was "Race this or go home." ;)

:DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD

Witty Scotty  :good: :good:
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 08:11:11 PM »
That was Dare, but I'll take the credit   :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 09:15:13 PM »
Perhaps I should have phrased it, "Race what we say or fold up your team and go bankrupt."
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 01:24:55 AM »
Perhaps I should have phrased it, "Race what we say or fold up your team and go bankrupt."

It's funny,of the American's active on here none watch NASCAR,tell's you something doesn't it?
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 03:16:32 AM »
They race a bit the first 10 or 20 laps to see what the cars are doing, then they just hang out until the last 4 or 5 laps. Then they race hard and usually wreck each other trying to win. if you can catch the last 10 laps, you've usually seen the race.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle