collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 616
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Heikki back with Caterham to help development  (Read 5157 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Heikki back with Caterham to help development
« on: April 17, 2013, 09:22:59 AM »

He'll run FP1 in Bahrain & Spain to help with upgrade work.                   

Amazing how F1 is as hard to give up as smoking.  :D

Heikki Kovalainen, who was dropped by Caterham in favour of a pay driver, has rejoined the Anglo-Malaysian outfit as reserve driver.

Kovalainen's first duties will be to take part in FP1 at the forthcoming Grands Prix in Bahrain and Spain. The Finnish driver will take part in the sessions as part of a formal technical development role he is taking up with Caterham, helping support the introduction of the first performance updates to the 2013 car, an important milestone in the strategy the team are working to in the current season.

"It's obviously great news that I'll be on track in Bahrain and Spain," said Kovalainen, "and I'm really looking forward to getting back to work and helping the team as much as I can. I'll be taking part in the two FP1 sessions in Bahrain and Barcelona to give the team my input on the new parts we're bringing to those races, and I'll be working closely with the race drivers and the engineers on track and back at Leafield to help everyone get the most out of the new package.

Edited from article from Pitpass (http://www.pitpass.com):

Published: 17/04/2013
Copyright Š Pitpass 2002 - 2013. All rights reserved.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: Heikki back with Caterham to help development
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 10:57:26 AM »
Good news for Heikki.  Maybe he'll get noticed by someone with a struggling driver.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

vintly

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »
Good news, he's a smiler  :D

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 11:43:05 AM »
I really rate Heikki. I know 'steady' and 'reliable' will never win a championship but it may win points and I would love to see him back in F1.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 12:14:31 PM »
Glad to see him return. I hope he takes a fair chunk of the pay driver's money home with him.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 12:33:16 PM »
Caterham needs Heikki, whether it likes that or not. Don't be surprised to see Heikki in the car to race it in 2014 or earlier.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 03:12:39 PM »
I wonder if there is a market for drivers like that, who miss F1 and still feel they have something to offer.

Would Villeneuve or Barichello be interested in putting in an hour on Fridays for struggling teams?  I should think that even MS might be coaxed into it (whatever one thinks of his sportsmanship, he has a reputation as an excellent tester)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 06:00:52 PM »
Caterham had to do something in my opinion.  They're behind Marussia in terms of development this year, and their driver line up never looked as good on paper as Marussia's to boot.  Kovalainen's return is great news.  I think that they are badly missing his experience.  I wouldn't be at all surprised for him to take over racing duties later this season if the team's performance doesn't improve.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 07:09:58 PM »
I have a feeling that Caterham wants Heikki as their driver in 2014, so they are offering him these FP1 so that he is touch with the team, and their way of development. If I am not wrong Caterham opted for 2014 season sacrificing 2013, thus they wanted two pay drivers in the seats, because they knew they didn't have much chance with Marussia this year. And Mr. Jules Bianchi has made their life much more difficult, because for the last three races he has shown how these not so fast machines can be pushed and give a scare to the midfield teams.

And if you look at this closely two rookies are race drivers, while a grand prix winning driver is your reserve.  :fool: :fool:
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 07:39:59 PM »
And if you look at this closely two rookies are race drivers, while a grand prix winning driver is your reserve.  :fool: :fool:

If you look even more closely one of the drivers is not a rookie but a 2nd year driver who acquitted himself quite well against his very experienced teamate Glock, last year.  :tease:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 07:46:55 PM »
If you look even more closely one of the drivers is not a rookie but a 2nd year driver who acquitted himself quite well against his very experienced teamate Glock, last year.  :tease:

Yes, Pic is solid enough, but he doesn't have much in the way of experience to lead a team, so that's clearly why Kovalainen has been brought in.

I'm not convinced about Van de Garde at all though.  His GP2 record was, at best, inconsistent, so it's clear that money is the primary factor keeping him in his position.  Still, he'd be considered a good driver relative to some of the pay drivers we used to see in Formula 1 cars, so I don't want to be too critical.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 07:57:10 PM »
Caterham had to do something in my opinion.  They're behind Marussia in terms of development this year, and their driver line up never looked as good on paper as Marussia's to boot.  Kovalainen's return is great news.  I think that they are badly missing his experience.  I wouldn't be at all surprised for him to take over racing duties later this season if the team's performance doesn't improve.

If one is conspiracy minded, this might be a way of getting a sponsor to pay up.  If Caterham has a driver ready to go the instant a cheque bounces, that's a good reason to keep the cheques coming.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 02:21:41 PM »
If one is conspiracy minded, this might be a way of getting a sponsor to pay up.  If Caterham has a driver ready to go the instant a cheque bounces, that's a good reason to keep the cheques coming.

I would say that this is one of those conspiracy theories that could be closer to the truth than we might think :).  After all, there's no doubt in my mind that if either Pic or Van de Garde were to default on payment, the team would be more than happy to put Kovalainen in the car.

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 05:06:58 PM »
In my opinion he will have a race seat by the end of the mid season break. Beating Marussia is crucial to Caterham.

Offline Monty

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 08:57:52 AM »
If Heiki is to have any chance he will have to out perform Pic and VDG and at the moment he is 7 tenths of Pic's practice time! Come on Heiki!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle