collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 264
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16178 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13016 Posts
John S John S
11293 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Danica a $1.2 Million Failure  (Read 2507 times)

Offline cosworth151

Danica a $1.2 Million Failure
« on: May 15, 2013, 03:33:16 PM »
AutoWeek is calling Danica Patrick's NASCAR Cup season so far a $1.2 million dollar failure.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130514/nascar01/130519911#ixzz2TN6BjYAY

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: Danica a $1.2 Million Failure
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 05:03:25 PM »
It's an interesting article, that mentions her teammates on a 'top team' aren't performing well either (without providing a comparisson). It doesn't compare her with other rookies either.

What I would find to be the most glaring error in the article is that it is about her performance as a racer, rather than her performance as a half naked spokesmodel.  Is Godaddy getting their money's worth?  Someone posted a picture of their car at no cost to them. 

Winning races is the best way to get your brand out there, but it's not the only way.  From an investment point of view, if Danica isn't winning, I think that consistent 4th place finishes would be the worst scenario for her sponsors.  Doing 'pretty good' isn't newsworthy.  Doing 'just above horrible' seems to be though.

Offline Willy

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 11:14:38 PM »
I'm not a huge Danica fan but she is at least "keeping it on the island" as they say.
A crashed car or a car out of the race is no longer a moving billboard for sponsors so she has done that part of the deal well.
She keeps the GODaddy name and brand on the track.
And announcers will continue to talk about her as long as she is there. The "less then fully clothed" ads are a bonus for them to talk about.
$1.2 million is cheap for the sport.
A slow NASCAR week so lets see what we can say about Danica to generate news.
Nothing good to says boys....then shut the f&%k up!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 05:12:07 AM »
Sigh. Here we go again. Danica is not the most talented driver in NASCAR. She will likely never be champion. But, she's a rookie, she's learning the car and the tracks. She hasn't destroyed a car yet, she's come forward in almost every race with a car that seemingly has issues. Sounds pretty good to me. I'd be willing to bet that if you told van de Garde he'd get a ride at Red Bull if he would pose for Playgirl, he'd do it. Every time she has a good race like Daytona it makes it easier for the next talented woman to get a ride. Cut her some slack, please.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 08:30:58 PM »
AutoWeek is calling Danica Patrick's NASCAR Cup season so far a $1.2 million dollar failure.

You just love bringing us such claptrap nonsense don't you Cos, because it contains the name Danica.   :tease::D

Any rookie would be proud of the performance that this report talks about; so I'm not sure who's pulling whose leg, the original reporter or you for posting it.  ;)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 09:10:23 PM »
Calling her a rookie isn't exactly accurate. She's run in both Cup & Nationwide cars in previous seasons. Besides, since she's sliding down to lower series from the IRL, I'd expect her to dominate.  :P
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 10:13:21 PM »
Calling her a rookie isn't exactly accurate. She's run in both Cup & Nationwide cars in previous seasons. Besides, since she's sliding down to lower series from the IRL, I'd expect her to dominate.  :P

What like Montoya.  :D 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 11:02:40 PM »

What like Montoya.  :D

Dario tried it too but in all fairness to him we never
saw what he might accomplish due to his sponsors
pulling out.Now Emmo and Nigel is another story
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 12:19:14 PM »
I guess the fact that the best her supporters can do is to compare her to van de Garde and Montoya says more than I ever could.  ;)
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 07:56:57 PM »
Articles like this appearing is why Danica is not a failure to her sponsors. She keeps them in the headlines while being competent enough not to be at risk of official slowness-based censure. As long as she gradually improves her performance, she and they are quids in.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 03:05:44 AM »
I guess the fact that the best her supporters can do is to compare her to van de Garde and Montoya says more than I ever could.  ;)

I didn't compare her to van de Garde, I said I was sure he would strip for a seat at Red Bull. And although he has not been successful in NASCAR, Montoya is a 2 time Indy Car Champ and a multi GP winner. I'd say that was pretty good.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 02:58:24 PM »
I agree that the JPM of decades past was pretty good.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 03:20:48 PM »
But he's always been an arrogant little meathead.   ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 10:27:04 PM »
I don't think The Onion thinks much of Danica's racing ability either...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/danica-patrick-takes-last-place-in-preakness-stake,32473/

:DD

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 07:48:10 AM »
 :DD :DD
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle