collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 589
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Perez backed by Mclaren  (Read 2989 times)

Online Dare

Perez backed by Mclaren
« on: May 27, 2013, 08:48:35 PM »
I would like to hear a honest reply from Button regarding
Martin's comments.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107720

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alonsofan

Re: Perez backed by Mclaren
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 09:07:47 PM »
I think Perez just needs to calm down a little and I really don't think Jenson likes him.

But far more importantly does anyone else think Perez in that picture looks like a young Tom Cruise from the Top Gun era? Something about him does, maybe it's his eyes.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
Stupid Autosport...I guess I've had my 20 views this month.  >:( >:(
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Dare

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 09:28:11 PM »
from Autosport

By Jonathan Noble   Monday, May 27th 2013, 10:05 GMT

Sergio Perez has been given a vote of confidence by McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh, after he was labelled an "idiot" by Kimi Raikkonen.

The Mexican pulled off a number of aggressive overtaking moves during the Monaco Grand Prix before eventually coming together with Raikkonen and damaging his car.

Raikkonen was infuriated by Perez's driving, and reckoned the only way that his rival would be taught a lesson was by being punched in the face.

Whitmarsh has backed his man though and suggested that top-line drivers have to take risks if they are going to be successful.

"I don't think we should have too much to complain about there," said Whitmarsh about Perez.

"That is what happens in Monaco occasionally. I am happy with his spirit and his challenge.

"You can over push sometimes but I think he did some great overtakes. I have got to be pleased that he is there, he is committed and racing."

Whitmarsh reckoned that Raikkonen was not totally free of blame for the coming together with Perez.

"You can argue it different ways: Checo will feel he wasn't given the space and he was crowded by Kimi, which I can understand.

"Kimi will say that he can defend his line and Checo was coming perhaps a bit too aggressively.

"It was certainly a charging attempt, but in motor racing you have to take a little bit of risk sometimes. If it comes off you are a hero and if it doesn't you are disappointed.

"After that, Checo obviously damaged his front wing, which was difficult enough, but he also had debris in the brake ducts, so therefore they overheated and he lost his brakes."
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Willy

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 09:38:42 PM »
I love Kimi.
He is hard to hear as he mumbles (my personal nickname for him) but when he has something to say, he speaks volumes

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
 :good: :good: :good:

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 09:41:06 PM »
Tks Dare.   :good:

Yeah, that'll help Martin.  Praise him.  Good management.  Every now and again a driver needs a bit of a talking down to.  To reign him in a bit.  Throwing all your support at a DNF driver who is dangerous to others is a bit of a   :fool:

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 09:44:49 PM »
I think you have the same dynamic here as with Webber/Vettel. Webber and Button are a bit "Old School" where your team mate is not really the competition and if you want to pass him, you do it VERY carefully. Vettel and Perez are younger and newer to the sport and think of their team mates as just another car to beat anyway you can. R/B will probably solve their problem by dumping Webber, but Macca has a problem and I think Whitmarsh is not taking it seriously enough.
Lonny

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 10:43:49 PM »
I'm with Kimi here, a good punch in the face is what's needed.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 10:46:50 PM »
Tks Dare.   :good:

Yeah, that'll help Martin.  Praise him.  Good management.  Every now and again a driver needs a bit of a talking down to.  To reign him in a bit.  Throwing all your support at a DNF driver who is dangerous to others is a bit of a   :fool:

Keep it behind closed doors where it belongs. 

But when you're in a car that's not going to win, you might as well go out and take crazy chances.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 03:57:12 PM »
I love Kimi.
He is hard to hear as he mumbles (my personal nickname for him) but when he has something to say, he speaks volumes.

It reflects extremely poorly on him when he offers violence as a solution to another driver's overtaking methods.

I'm with Kimi here, a good punch in the face is what's needed.

That won't solve anything.  All that will do is breed more violence, and make the whole situation worse.  It would also set an extremely poor example to up and coming drivers about how to deal with personal disputes, and disagreements.

As for Perez, his combative style is refreshing, and sometimes it does work.  At Monaco though, there simply isn't enough space for him to get away with some of the overtaking manoeuvres he was trying, and more patience could have served him better.  Perhaps he would benefit from looking at video of Sutil's passes, which were timed to perfection during the race.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Ian

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 09:24:59 PM »
Sometimes actions speak louder than words.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 09:33:58 PM »
Ah come on, there are plenty of sports where one competitor takes a punch at another because they didn't like what was done to them.  It's part of the game in some sports, and (aside from hockey) is usually a one-off.  Kimi giving Perez a punch would certainly get him in for a pile of penalties and fines anyhow only because it IS F1.  Talking about it means nothing.  There aren't any sports that contain the amount of violence that motor racing brings to the screen (boxing could be up there though).

vintly

Perez backed by Mclaren
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 10:07:20 PM »
Keep up the entertainment Kimi, like your style. Until there's any real malice, I love it when people in the limelight show their anger with just a few words. Succinct, a hint of humour, point made.

Another Kimi special.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 01:57:57 PM »
The argument about actions speaking louder than words doesn't correspond to this though.  Threatening to punch a fellow competitor in the face is just totally uncalled for, and sets a poor example for up and coming drivers.

As for it being part of the game, I think not.  In other sports I watch, physical violence is certainly not part of the game, and is neither promoted nor condoned.  It has happened in the past in F1 (Senna vs Irvine and Piquet vs Salazar spring to mind), but such incidents do nothing to enhance the reputation of the sport.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 03:17:18 PM »
The argument about actions speaking louder than words doesn't correspond to this though.  Threatening to punch a fellow competitor in the face is just totally uncalled for, and sets a poor example for up and coming drivers.

As for it being part of the game, I think not.  In other sports I watch, physical violence is certainly not part of the game, and is neither promoted nor condoned.  It has happened in the past in F1 (Senna vs Irvine and Piquet vs Salazar spring to mind), but such incidents do nothing to enhance the reputation of the sport.

I'm not sure anyone can picture Kimi getting caught up in the heat of the moment and actually popping Perez on the nose.

However, I'm sure that everyone is surprised that we're saying that Kimi is 'all talk'.

(If this was the USA, then Fox would sign Kimi and Perez to a fight contract, then let them go three rounds in the boxing ring on live TV.)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle