collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 600
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Montréal - Disappointment, Disillusion, and Drudgery  (Read 4356 times)

Offline Irisado

Montréal - Disappointment, Disillusion, and Drudgery
« on: June 09, 2013, 11:24:24 PM »
That has to be the least interesting Canadian Grand Prix I've ever seen, and having watched them all since 1995, and remembering all the action there has been at this venue, says everything that's wrong with modern Formula 1.

What we were served up today was a dismal affair of easy DRS passes, bullet proof reliability, and a distinct lack of action, on a track that's normally famous for it.  So, what went wrong?  Even this era of reliability, there are normally a lot more accidents, and mechanical problems at this track, as it's just so tough on the drivers and cars.  If the ultimate car breaker of racing circuits can't induce more drivers errors, and stress the cars to breaking point, then I really think that Formula 1 is in trouble.  It's becoming stale, and far too easy for drivers to finish races.

I almost gave up watching the race today.  Even Alonso's climb through the field didn't raise my flagging spirits much, since it was all DRS assisted.

I'm feeling very disenchanted.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Montréal - Disappointment, Disillusion, and Drudgery
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 04:04:44 AM »
this is the 2 edged sword of modern F1. Say what you will about the crudeness of NASCAR, Grand-Am, even Indy Car, the cars allow for mechanical failure and driver skill. F1 is so high tech, a really late braking driver like Lewis can't make up enough to pass. The cars, even at the high levels they operate at, are under stressed. The difference between cars is so great an amazing driver can't make up for his lack of equipment. In those "Lower" series the driver makes a bigger difference, the car is not quite as important and failure happens. So which do you prefer, tech or competition?
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:18:24 AM »
I enjoyed the race and was not disappointed at the lack of accidents which it seems some need to make it a good race.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

vintly

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 09:34:03 AM »
I was satisfied with the entertainment value. I'm not really a fan of wet races so the weather was a plus. Impressed with the sensible driving, especially on the first couple of laps - and amazed no one collided with Sutil after his spin.

Hey Irisado, it's not like you to feel disenchanted is it??  ;)

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 09:56:05 AM »
I enjoyed the race.  Wasn't a classic, but...some fun racing out there even in non DRS situations.  Massa had a good charge, Alonso did well (though if he had somehow managed to get past Vettel I would have done much better).  Sutil showed well, and that spin without collecting the wall or another driver was a bonus.  We were all laughing in chat about Webber's wing missing some bits actually made him faster over a lap. 

Pretty miffed that Kimi had to turn down his engine.  I'm sure he'll tell his engineers next time to fill the damn tank and just let him race!

Glad the TV director showed us the racing except for a couple laps at the end where we had to watch Vettel all by himself while Massa and Kimi were fighting for the last GG point.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 11:00:50 AM by scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 12:28:30 PM »
Not a classic race, but not a bad one, either. As far as the reliability factor, I'd start by throwing away the rev limiters. All they are is F1's high tech version of a NASCAR restrictor plate. Let the engines rev til they pop.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 08:02:09 PM »
Hey Irisado, it's not like you to feel disenchanted is it??  ;)

It is unlike me to feel this disenchanted.  The Canadian Grand Prix is normally one of the highlights of the season for me.  I expect poor races at places like Bahrain and Valencia, but not at Montréal.

Not a classic race, but not a bad one, either. As far as the reliability factor, I'd start by throwing away the rev limiters. All they are is F1's high tech version of a NASCAR restrictor plate. Let the engines rev til they pop.

Agreed, in a round about sort of way.

It was David Coulthard who said on the BBC, last year I think, that it's the rev restrictions on engines which make them so reliable, so remove that, and turn back the clock to test the reliability of the teams, then you open up a new variable.  It's one way Red Bull could be beaten for a start, as this is an area where they traditionally were not as strong as other front running teams.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 08:26:43 PM »

I like that idea too.  Let them wind up the engines, but at their own peril.   :crazy:

But I still think the sensible thing is to just allow them time limited DRS that they can use wherever they like (I suppose you've heard this argument from me already  ;) ).

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 07:58:54 PM »
I totally agree with Irisado on this. I think all other races were not that bad, but I always expected Canada to keep its heritage of grilling cars & driver, forcing them to make errors, spectacular crashes, great wheel to wheel racing. Though I disagree with the DRS enabled moves, which I think is a necessary for the current aerodynamic regulation. Before DRS the guy in front knows that because of the bad air drift the car behind will never be able to close enough to make the pass. Now the guy in front have to be very much on the top of his toe, so that he is more than 1 second away for the guy behind, other wise he will be a sitting duck.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 12:25:27 AM »
I totally agree with Irisado on this. I think all other races were not that bad, but I always expected Canada to keep its heritage of grilling cars & driver, forcing them to make errors, spectacular crashes, great wheel to wheel racing. Though I disagree with the DRS enabled moves, which I think is a necessary for the current aerodynamic regulation. Before DRS the guy in front knows that because of the bad air drift the car behind will never be able to close enough to make the pass. Now the guy in front have to be very much on the top of his toe, so that he is more than 1 second away for the guy behind, other wise he will be a sitting duck.

It's certainly true, the drivers do spend the entire lap positioning themselves to overtake/defend for the DRS zones.  Take it or leave it, but there is an art to setting up the pass, and the drivers are very good at it.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 11:30:59 AM »
It's certainly true, the drivers do spend the entire lap positioning themselves to overtake/defend for the DRS zones.  Take it or leave it, but there is an art to setting up the pass, and the drivers are very good at it.

I don't think that 'take it or leave it' is a very helpful way of looking at the problem though Jeri.  Formula 1 has serious issues with the quality of the racing, and all this artificial window dressing is not a substitute for real overtaking.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 03:33:51 PM »

I don't think that 'take it or leave it' is a very helpful way of looking at the problem though Jeri.  Formula 1 has serious issues with the quality of the racing, and all this artificial window dressing is not a substitute for real overtaking.

I've taken umbrage with this concept of 'artificial passes' in the past.  F1 cars are not naturally occuring, powering millions of dollars of carbon fibre with millions of dollars of aluminum is entirely 'artificial'.  There is an art to using DRS, to defending against DRS.  It's not the same art that was used a few years ago, but that doesn't make it any less artificial.

I can understand not enjoying that the tactics and strategy of the sport have strayed from its roots of having the biggest, baddest engine on the track.  That's all I mean by take it or leave it.  (Hell, if F1 went aero free, and relied on engines, tires and driver nerve, I'd still watch)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »

I've taken umbrage with this concept of 'artificial passes' in the past.  F1 cars are not naturally occuring, powering millions of dollars of carbon fibre with millions of dollars of aluminum is entirely 'artificial'.  There is an art to using DRS, to defending against DRS.  It's not the same art that was used a few years ago, but that doesn't make it any less artificial.

I can understand not enjoying that the tactics and strategy of the sport have strayed from its roots of having the biggest, baddest engine on the track.  That's all I mean by take it or leave it.  (Hell, if F1 went aero free, and relied on engines, tires and driver nerve, I'd still watch)

Way to go Jeri!  :yahoo:  I'd still watch as well, even if the high death rates of the 70's returned.

All cars have become safer and more reliable over the last 30 years, but to expect F1 to unlearn the big steps from areo, electronics, carbonfibre and track surface & design is like trying to put the World wide web back in the bottle.  :D 

Canada 13 was not a true classic, then how many races in a season really are?  :DntKnw: I for one enjoyed most of the race, can't say I like a winner who runs away and hides but there was plenty of action, artificial or otherwise from a lot of the other runners.  :good: 

Whilst I don't like a runaway winner I still know it's the job of the others to keep the pressure on, clearly they couldn't, that's the one regret I have from the Canadian GP this year.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 08:37:18 PM »
Might be a highlight for Red Bull to have won in Montreal, but how many times have you seen a race winner boo'd on the podium when all he did was keep his hands clean and win from lights to flag?  Really, Seb did nothing wrong on Sunday, yet the majority of the (vocal) crowd in Montreal actually boo'd him when his name was announced, and continued while EJ interviewed him. 

I would think that is most disturbing to a team that does everything it can in every other sport it participates in, to have the fans on their side.  Winning the WDC and/or WCC by a driver widely disliked, and with a team bleeding fans won't have the desired effect at the end of the year.

Hmmm Mr. Mateschitz, is it time to take Mr. Marko and Mr. Vettel aside?  Explain to them the basics of marketing 101?  To convince potential - while retaining current - customers to become fans of your team and thus your product?  Their behaviour isn't very constructive to that end.

First off, fire Marko, take away his paddock pass.  Then slap Vettel around and explain to him how to behave - in and out of the car, pre and post race - in a way that maximizes the marketing aim of the company.  Why on earth have they let Vettel get so involved in comments on other teams, Pirelli or really, anything else aside from how he drove himself and those he raced against??  Shouldn't Horner actually be the correct spokesman for the team on any other matter? 

I would say more people actually like Kimi at the moment, and all he does is say obnoxious things.  But he does behave himself on track and never criticizes anyone unless they really deserve it (Perez), never sulks, never whines, and never shoves his 'greatness' in your face.  He couldn't care a less if you like him, but many do (including me).

They will probably sell more Red Bull when (if) Kimi comes on board.  Sorry they just re-signed Vettel through the end of 2015. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:41:00 PM by scott »

Offline Irisado

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 10:48:05 PM »
Apart from being over the top on the radio last year, and his silly comment about Perez, I'd have to agree that Raikkonen has conducted himself much better this time around than he did during the first phase of his Formula 1 career.  Much to my surprise, but I'll always hold my hand up when my predictions are wrong :).  Vettel isn't confounding my predictions in any way though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle