collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 586
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: First preview of sound of 2014 Renault F1 V6 Engine  (Read 3271 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
First preview of sound of 2014 Renault F1 V6 Engine
« on: June 21, 2013, 09:04:09 PM »

Comparing new engine noise to recordings of Renault F1 turbos of 85 and 86 this new one sounds good, maybe even sweeter.  ;)

Rob White, Deputy Managing Director (technical) Renault Sport F1, confirmed: "Fundamentally the engine noise will still be loud. It will wake you from sleep, and circuit neighbours will still complain. The engine noise is just a turbocharged noise rather than a normally aspirated noise: you can just hear the turbo when the driver lifts off the throttle and the engine speed drops."

He added ''I am sure some people will be nostalgic for the sound of engines from previous eras," he concluded, "including the preceding V8, but the sound of the new generation Power Units is just different. It's like asking whether you like Motorhead or AC/DC. Ultimately it is a matter of personal taste. Both in concert are still pretty loud.''

Renaultsport.com, Today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online cosworth151

Re: First preview of sound of 2014 Renault F1 V6 Engine
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 09:14:46 PM »
Sounds like a moped with a Brillo pad stuffed in the exhaust.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 09:52:09 PM »
Has it got a muffler on it, or does the turbo do that?  Sorry for what every I've posted before, but I've heard better sounding bikes.   :sick:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 10:40:22 PM »
Some of the cars on Gran Turismo sound better than that.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 11:58:36 PM »
The turbine secton of the turbo acts like the baffle chambers of a muffler.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 09:21:52 AM »
Oh no that doesn't sound good at all :(

Crikey my little 125 scooter sounded better than that  :o

That might seriously turn fans away from going to watch live races. In my opinion half the appeal is the noise :(

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 09:39:41 AM »

Just to remind all of you doubters this is a Renault turbo from 85, now I don't recall a big fuss about lack of noise in F1 at the time. You lot also are missing the point that Renault will not have released the full throaty roar from their unit for fear their rivals will pick it apart digitally attempting to gain info from the variations in note, modulation, rev range, etc. etc. etc.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 02:22:41 PM »
The turbo hand grenades of the 70's & 80's didn't sound all that good to begin with, and they were not rev limited. Between the tiny displacement, giant turbo muffler and extremely low rev limit, the drivers will need an indicator light on the steering wheel to let them know that the engine is still running.
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 08:30:02 PM »
Why did Renault release a sound of hair-drier as their F1 engine sound? :DntKnw: :DntKnw:
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 08:41:27 PM »
What it reminded me of is an old next door neighbour who used to cut his lawn once a week every Sunday at 7 in the morning and then use a strimmer on the edges. The same constant noise with me thinking, "God I hope he catches a stone and rips his blade off soon" It was highly annoying  :(

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 03:23:02 AM »
The turbines that ran at Indy were almost silent, didn't stop me from loving them. They were fast and innovative. My Subaru barely makes a burble even at WOT, doesn't stop me from blowing off Mustangs and Beemers when they annoy me. There are plenty of Ricers around here that are loud enough to wake the dead, doesn't make a 4 banger Civic a rocket ship. If what they say is true, that they will have enough power to get the cars sideways on corner exit, I will be happy no matter what they sound like.
Lonny

Online cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 03:40:59 AM »
Loud is part of racing. Quiet road cars have nothing to do with it. That's like saying that my friends and I play very well but comparatively quietly at acoustic jams. Therefor, just as many people would go to Rolling Stones concerts is they threw away their amps.

BTW, I still remember how loudly I cheered both years when the turbines conked out a few laps from the ed of The 500.
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 04:29:58 AM »
I guess you must hate the Audi diesels then as they are among the quietest race cars I have ever (almost) heard.  :fool:
Lonny

Online cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 01:28:01 PM »
Very true. I'm still hoping that Porsche's return to LMP1 will spell the end of them.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Willy

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 05:17:44 AM »
Having never seen the 1 1/2 hr telecast of the Hass/Lola Team start, I found this very fascinating. I especially liked seeing a very young Ross Brawn as an aerodynamisist working in a wind tunnel.
The beginnings or the Cosworth turbo was great to see.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle