collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 258
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16168 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13004 Posts
John S John S
11286 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: past & present  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Ian

past & present
« on: February 16, 2007, 11:26:35 PM »
 Think we were getting 2 posts mixed into 1 with Webber quotes & past drivers.
 We could all go on all night saying this driver from this era, or that driver from that era, but at the end of the day I really believe you cannot compare. Every era has it's own hero, but could one hero take the package from another era & win. Two names, Fangio - Schumacher. Would Schumacher be able to handle the basic controls Fangio had, the narrow tyres going full bore into a corner and without a class tactician to tell him what's required. Or could Fangio cope with not only driving but also using the hi-tech wheel and all the tech data. This is only scraping the surface but, I think it's enough to say leave each driver in his own era, you cannot compare.......

An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Dare

Re: past & present
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 11:41:45 PM »

Ian,your right it's impossible to compare different
eras,That's whats wrong making up lists,you
always forget somebody[I forgot Fanfio]But
I think the a+ top drivers like Fangio,Senna,
and schumi would have excelled in any era
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 11:58:42 PM »
Dare, don't you think it would be great to get the top drivers from each era, at their peak and then hold a series of races with the top cars from each era and then argue the results

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 12:03:29 AM »
Dare, don't you think it would be great to get the top drivers from each era, at their peak and then hold a series of races with the top cars from each era and then argue the results

I bet you old Jimmie Clark would give them a
run for their money

A lot of his wins was when a excellrnt driver
could win in a inferior car.Not so anymore

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 01:37:27 PM »
Good call Ian, I totally agree. You wouldn't compare a WWI fighter ace to a modern day fighter pilot.

Each era has it's own hero's and so do we, (usually depending on our age), I have had many favorites over the years and it is not all based on results.

On paper some of my favorite drivers wouldn't make many lists, but that doesn't stop me from admiring the way they conducted themselves either in or out of an F1 car.

I think it was easier to 'like' F1 drivers of years past because there was more personality shining through as opposed to todays 'robot' like drivers who have an almost clinical feel to them. Don't get me wrong, in these times this attitude certainly helps but it makes it harder for the fans to relate to drivers.
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Ian

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 01:47:08 PM »
I think the personality was also down to the fact that in the old days(figure of speech only)when you watch the vids of them posted on here the pits? were nothing like now, racegoers could almost touch their heroes whereas now you are so far away you need binoculars to see them and only the rich and famous can get near them.

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 01:48:44 PM »
PS to that, while I was typing that the chain was playing on the pc, about 20 days now ain't  :yahoo:.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 01:57:26 PM »

28 days, 12 hours and 13 minutes.

Not that I'm counting  ::)

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle