collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 570
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Fangio F1 Merc Sell For Almost $30 Million  (Read 3230 times)

Online cosworth151

Fangio F1 Merc Sell For Almost $30 Million
« on: July 14, 2013, 05:29:36 PM »
The Mercedes W196 that Fangio drove to victory in the 1954 German & Swiss Grands Prix has sold at auction for £19.6 million ($29,619,826). The buyer has not been announced. There is some speculation that it could be Mercedes.

How such an historic car ended up in private hands is a mystery. Mercedes retained ownership after it was retired from racing, but at some point the car was sold -- first to a British collector, then to a French collector, then to a German collector and then it was bought and sold once more, and now this.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130712/carnews01/130719952#ixzz2Z2PmhJ00

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

Re: Fangio F1 Merc Sell For Almost $30 Million
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 06:22:35 PM »
Maurice Hamilton sums it up really nicely..

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/116335.html?CMP=OTC-RSS
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Online cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 09:57:42 PM »
Bit of a misprint in the article. (Well, it is ESPN) The car won the 1954 Swiss & German races. Other than that, well written.

The pre-sale speculation was around $10 million. I hope whoever ends up with it makes available for fans to see.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 05:47:15 PM »
Bit of a misprint in the article. (Well, it is ESPN) The car won the 1954 Swiss & German races. Other than that, well written.

I had the same notion Cossie, but was not sure about it though..

What is your take on ownership? Is it going to the private collection of Bernie or Mercedes buying it back (Its hell of a price to pay for if they did that)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 08:00:06 PM »

What is your take on ownership? Is it going to the private collection of Bernie or Mercedes buying it back (Its hell of a price to pay for if they did that)

Last I heard Bernie was selling off his collection not adding to it, but who knows with him.  :DntKnw:

I'd say it's more likely Daimler Benz are the buyer, for a big corporate like them once they have decided they want it back they will pay over the odds to make sure it happens. I think honour and pride takeover once a big firm gets involved in claiming it's own history back.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 08:49:21 PM »
I can't see Bernie shelling out that kind of money for a car. I don't know if a publicly held corporation like Merc would, either. I just hope it doesn't disappear into some private collection somewhere.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Willy

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 10:31:24 PM »
That is alot of money for a car, not matter who drove it.
I can think of a few things that the money could be used for that would be better served then to purchase a car.
I love cars......always have but 30 million...come on!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 04:20:10 AM »
is the Merc less a work of art in it's own way than a Rembrandt or Van Gogh? The value of any piece of art is whatever the high bidder will pay for it.
Lonny

vintly

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 03:35:58 PM »
is the Merc less a work of art in it's own way than a Rembrandt or Van Gogh? The value of any piece of art is whatever the high bidder will pay for it.

You're right, it's more than just a car, it's (apparently) a work of art. Either way, $30M is an obscene amount. Yuk. I hope the buyer does some good with their money too.  :DntKnw:

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 03:26:39 AM »
There are some people in the world for whom 30 million is little more than pocket change. If you got it you might as well spend it, it does little good sitting in an investment account.
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 07:42:14 AM »
I have always felt that these sort of auction ignites the ego inside the very rich, for whom pride matters much more that the money, so eventually in the tug-war scenario the agency ends up being the most benefited from this.

Perhaps unadulterated, being 100% antique was the final catch to fetch that crazy amount of money for this.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle