collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 584
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Villeneuve retracts Button jibes  (Read 1256 times)

davewilson

Villeneuve retracts Button jibes
« on: February 18, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
Former world champion Jacques Villeneuve has admitted that he regrets some of the disparaging comments he has made in the past about Jenson Button.

Villeneuve fired a number of verbal broadsides at Button after the Briton was signed to partner him at BAR-Honda for the 2003 season, in what was widely seen as an attempt to ‘out-psych’ his new team-mate.

Among these was the observation: “Some people spend their life as would-have-beens, could-have-beens and they end up never achieving anything – and that’s what Jenson has done.”

He was also quoted as saying: “I’ll respect Jenson once he goes quickly out on the racetrack.”

The put-downs backfired when Button proved more than a match for Villeneuve, and by the end of 2003 the Canadian had split with BAR, the team he had been instrumental in creating.

Four years on, JV admits some of his remarks were uncalled for.

“F1 Racing recently published my ‘59 mouthiest moments’,” he told the March issue of the magazine.

“When I read it, there were a couple of quotes about Jenson that I said back in 2003 where I thought, ‘Ouch! That didn’t come out too well!’

“Jenson didn’t deserve that.

“Some of the things I said were a little bit too harsh and a couple shouldn’t have been said at all.”

In his defence, Villeneuve cites the displeasure he felt at being treated as expendable by newly appointed BAR boss David Richards – plus the fact that Button had much to prove after two disappointing seasons at Benetton.

“I’d built that team, and suddenly a new team principal was saying, ‘We don’t want Jacques, he’s useless – we’ve got a future world champion in Jenson.’

“Jenson had done nothing at the time and had had his ass kicked by [Giancarlo] Fisichella at Benetton.

“So mainly I was saying let’s just wait and see – I’ll respect him once he achieves something.

“And he did, so I did.

“It wasn’t as bad as it was portrayed and there was never a problem between us.”

Villeneuve now rates Button rather more highly.

“He’s fast, strong, and nothing disturbs him,” he observed.

“But he’ll have to be in a position to take a shot at the championship if we’re to see if he’s as good as [Fernando] Alonso.

“That’s highly probable, because he’s at least as good as Kimi [Raikkonen].”

Read JV's full appraisal of the 2007 field in the latest issue of F1 Racing, on sale from Tuesday.

Recent Stories

JV tips Massa to beat 'overrated' Kimi 
2007-02-18 20:57 

Massa: We'll prove doubters wrong 
2007-02-18 13:51 

Massa not missing Schu 
2007-02-17 14:18 

Renault admits need for speed 
2007-02-17 14:20 

Purnell: Macca ties will help Lewis 
2007-02-18 14:01 

Renault leaves carmaker body 
2007-02-16 13:26 

F1 Racing raises £3K for charity 
2007-02-17 01:11 

Symonds: McLaren, Ferrari in front 
2007-02-16 16:22 

Related Links
F1 News Features Calendar TV Schedule Championship F1 Photos   

Former world champion Jacques Villeneuve has admitted that he regrets some of the disparaging comments he has made in the past about Jenson Button.

Villeneuve fired a number of verbal broadsides at Button after the Briton was signed to partner him at BAR-Honda for the 2003 season, in what was widely seen as an attempt to ‘out-psych’ his new team-mate.

Among these was the observation: “Some people spend their life as would-have-beens, could-have-beens and they end up never achieving anything – and that’s what Jenson has done.”

He was also quoted as saying: “I’ll respect Jenson once he goes quickly out on the racetrack.”

The put-downs backfired when Button proved more than a match for Villeneuve, and by the end of 2003 the Canadian had split with BAR, the team he had been instrumental in creating.

“F1 Racing recently published my ‘59 mouthiest moments’,” he told the March issue of the magazine.

“When I read it, there were a couple of quotes about Jenson that I said back in 2003 where I thought, ‘Ouch! That didn’t come out too well!’

“Some of the things I said were a little bit too harsh and a couple shouldn’t have been said at all.”

In his defence, Villeneuve cites the displeasure he felt at being treated as expendable by newly appointed BAR boss David Richards – plus the fact that Button had much to prove after two disappointing seasons at Benetton.

“I’d built that team, and suddenly a new team principal was saying, ‘We don’t want Jacques, he’s useless – we’ve got a future world champion in Jenson.’

“Jenson had done nothing at the time and had had his ass kicked by [Giancarlo] Fisichella at Benetton.

“So mainly I was saying let’s just wait and see – I’ll respect him once he achieves something.

“And he did, so I did.

“It wasn’t as bad as it was portrayed and there was never a problem between us.”

“But he’ll have to be in a position to take a shot at the championship if we’re to see if he’s as good as [Fernando] Alonso.

Read JV's full appraisal of the 2007 field in the latest issue of F1 Racing, on sale from Tuesday.

Recent Stories

JV tips Massa to beat 'overrated' Kimi 
2007-02-18 20:57 

Massa: We'll prove doubters wrong 
2007-02-18 13:51 

Massa not missing Schu 
2007-02-17 14:18 

Renault admits need for speed 
2007-02-17 14:20 

Purnell: Macca ties will help Lewis 
2007-02-18 14:01 

Renault leaves carmaker body 
2007-02-16 13:26 

F1 Racing raises £3K for charity 
2007-02-17 01:11 

Symonds: McLaren, Ferrari in front 
2007-02-16 16:22 

Related Links
F1 News Features Calendar TV Schedule Championship F1 Photos   

“And he did, so I did.

The Stig

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle