collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 589
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Webber receives 10 car grid penality  (Read 5586 times)

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

Re: Webber receives 10 car grid penality
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 01:36:20 AM »
I reluctantly have to agree with the FIA here.  Either they take safety seriously, or they don't.

It's not a penalty for the ride, it's that the ride was a third strike, that cummulated to a 10 place grid drop.

I think that the Grand Prix Drivers Association needs to work out with the FIA how to arrange a ride safely.  It IS an iconic image of motorsports.  I'd hate to see it chased out.

vintly

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 10:08:35 AM »
Shoulda been a fine, not a grid penalty.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 11:05:01 AM »
Shoulda been a fine, not a grid penalty.

If some penalty is necessary (of which I don't think anything more than a finger wave is needed), I would CERTAINLY rather see a fine than a 3rd reprimand.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 11:31:35 AM »
I fail to see why an incident that happened after the race had finished would need a punishment that would ruin the next race for the driver in question.
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 11:34:34 AM »

I think their hands are a bit tied with the rules as they are, by giving the lightest punishment, i.e. a reprimand, Webber is exposed to the bigger punishment in the totting up process but Nando isn't - hardly the stewards fault. Unfortunately they must stick to the rules or the whole system becomes a joke.

I've heard his team & others moaning about it, however I reckon Mark wont care about the penalty, he's now created a fantastic image from his last GP in Singapore.  ;)  He probably knew it could cause a penalty and I'm sure he has no regrets.

This kind of row is not reserved just for F1, in Footy (soccer) the totting up of cards shown by the ref has unusual consequences as well. The only real way to avoid bigger punishments at inopportune moments is by not committing any fouls in the first place. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »

Could this video explain why the stewards looked intently at what Mark lift from Fernando?  :DntKnw: 
Seems Mark flagged Nando down and caused a bit of confusion with cars around them.  ::)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 12:57:43 PM »
So we'll now now have a race at a boring Tilke-drome with Mark getting a 10 place grid penalty for doing, well, nothing, after a "race" at another boring Tilke-drome.

Lovely.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 03:30:32 PM »
Hmmm, maybe he should get spanked instead of simply a finger waving.  That WAS a bit dangerous.  Why did he insist on getting in on the drivers side anyhow?  Was he expecting to driver the Ferrari? 

Oh, I forgot, he's an Aussie, he thought the passengers get in on the left.  Silly boy  :fool:

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 05:07:32 PM »
I wonder if Webber didn't purposely choose a Ferrari to sit on in his RBR gear.   :DntKnw:

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 06:40:22 PM »
Tweet from Jenson Button:  "Disappointed to see the penalties for @AussieGrit [Webber] and @alo_oficial [Alonso], act of sportsmanship should not really be punished."

Maybe they should retroactively ding Senna & Mansell for the 91 British GP.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Willy

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 05:23:47 AM »
The rule is meant to be enforced but the interpretation of it could have been adjusted, as it was after the race.
The cars on a slowing lap did have to avoid Webber as he got on board Ferd's car so something had to be done.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 10:32:58 AM »
Webber nearly got flattened by Raikkonen. Had that happened, nobody would have cared what stage of the race it was - we'd just have been sad that Webber got injured trying to make a very dull race more memorable. Also, several cars were still racing each other at that point, having not yet seen the chequered flag, and I think at least two of them were behind Alonso at the time of pickup. The lift could have had result-altering consequences for innocent parties (fortunately, Alonso was alert for Marussias passing him and didn't block their way). In that light, the stewards had to penalise both Webber and Alonso for both safety and sporting reasons. This is exactly why the rules require marshal permission before pedestrians of any description enter a "live" track.

Alonso was lucky to get away with as light a penalty as they got, given that both he and Webber got reprimanded for the same action in Britain 2010. If anyone should have known this sort of behaviour wasn't allowed, it should have been them. It was a noble gesture with lousy implementation. Sadly, it may now have caused the "give drivers a lift" move to be banned altogether (until now, it's been allowed with marshal permission).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

vintly

Offline Irisado

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 09:03:43 PM »
I don't think that a grid penalty was the right penalty.  It wasn't safely executed by Webber, so a fine was definitely in order, but a grid penalty is over the top.  I think that the reprimands should be for on track incidents during the race, not for post race events such as this.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle