collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 522
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Seb's new RBR secret weapon revealed?  (Read 2281 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Seb's new RBR secret weapon revealed?
« on: October 10, 2013, 09:31:33 AM »
Red Bull limits traction using KERS harvest, says Racecar engineering mag.  :o 
The theory also fits with why Red Bull have had so many Kers issues in last 2 years.
Even though it's fiendishly clever, to me anything that overrides the drivers command of the accelerator must be traction control.  :confused:

Many theories have been circulating the internet and the paddock as to how Sebastian Vettel was so dominant in Singapore. Those theories grew stronger when former team-owner Giancarlo Minardi suggested Red Bull, at least on Vettel's car, were running a form of traction control.

It would obviously be absurd for Red Bull to do such a thing as traction control is illegal and would be fairly easy to identify as all the teams use a homologated electronic control unit (ECU) produced by McLaren Electronics.

However, Vettel's two-second a lap advantage around a slow, corner heavy circuit such as Singapore - the perfect layout for traction control - cannot simply be down to talent alone.

There must be something different on the RB9 of Vettel, surely?

An interesting theory published by Racecar Engineering offers up some interesting insight and it might just provide the answer to Red Bull's dominance.

According to the article, Red Bull might just have found a legal way of controlling the car's traction through suspension shocks, sensors and KERS.

THE THEORY EXPLAINED

Additional sensors on the shocks at the rear of the car are controlling the KERS and the engine to provide the correct amount of power at exactly the right time.

When the shocks are fully compressed, i.e. when the car is pushed into the ground and therefore the tyres have good contact with the surface, the sensors tell the throttle to deliver maximum power from the engine.

When the shocks are extended, i.e. when the tyres don't have good traction with the track surface, the sensors activate the KERS charging phase, reducing the torque through the rear-wheels as it increases the speed of the harvesting process.

This would, when fine tuned, reduce the amount of wheel-spin on the exit of a corner, regardless of whether the German has his foot fully-depressed against the accelerator or not.

This would explain why Vettel can 'get on the power' far earlier than his rivals, as pointed out by Minardi and Lewis Hamilton recently.

"Sebastian was able to [accelerate] 50 metres before any other driver, Webber included," claimed the Italian.

Whilst Hamilton said: "If you look at the onboards, [Vettel] is on the power at least 20 metres before everyone else, which is a huge advantage."

Could Red Bull's KERS and alternator issues last year and the year before that also support such a claim? The demands placed on the system would be far greater than that of a 'regular' system which harvests power only under braking and could explain why Renault's earlier units kept failing.

Obviously there is no concrete proof Red Bull are doing anything, legal or illegal, which could be imitating traction control, but the idea is certainly possible...and legal.

by Ryan Wood f1times.co.uk, Tues 8th October.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

vintly

Re: Seb's new RBR secret weapon revealed?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 10:16:54 AM »
Maybe next year the chasing pack will start to understand the details behind their inadequacy before the end of the season.  ;)

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 10:36:34 AM »
Do they only use KERS on turn exits then?  Is it automatic, ordoes Seb have to push a button?  Interesting idea. 

I love it when a team dreams up something the FIA hasn't even thought of.  If it's true, and if it's used legally, tough luck for the others.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 01:59:07 PM »
It certainly explains Vettel's advantage over Webber.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 03:18:51 PM »
It's very interesting.

I think this is an excellent example of 'trickle down technology' that was once the byword of F1 engineering.  Unless of course Toyota already does this on their Prius, in which case shame on the other F1 teams for not letting the technology trickle up.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 07:09:54 PM »
I doubt that it's a worry for Toyota. I really, really doubt that a Prius has enough power to spin the tires.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 07:53:08 PM »
I doubt that it's a worry for Toyota. I really, really doubt that a Prius has enough power to spin the tires.  ;)

Fine... Tesla  :-*

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 08:25:43 PM »

:DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD

Fisker Karma may be Cossie  ;)
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle