collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 532
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Rosberg Drive Through  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Willy

Rosberg Drive Through
« on: October 13, 2013, 08:41:25 PM »
The unsafe release that occurred to Rosberg was not a result of any improper action by the driver as he is not the one paying attention to when he can leave the pit box safely.
The driver must follow the signals of the lolipop man and leave when he moves the lolipop or in some cases changes a light.
If this is the case, then why is the driver penalized with a drive through when he is not the one whom incurred the infraction?
The unsafe release should be a fine to the team and not an on-track penalty to the driver.
Rosbergs' race was ruined for something for which he had zero control.
I understand the stewards have to enforce the rules as written but the rules appear to need to change. In these cases at least.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Rosberg Drive Through
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 09:28:48 PM »

Sorry you win together and lose together, can't be any other way.

When a car gets held up in the pits because a wheel wont come off or a team member brings the wrong wheel out it's the same situation. Also if a wrong set up, poor strategy choice or a mechanical failure that causes a bad result it's still all done as a team. Without the team a driver cannot have a car on track, let alone a front running car, so motor racing is a team game even though only a single individual may actually take to the track.

In sports car racing they often take even bigger hits, the two or three drivers sharing a car have to live with each others mistakes as well as the team's. Don't often hear them boys moaning about such things - well not in public anyways.  ;)

Another problem with just punishing a team with a fine is the temptation for richer teams to push the limits of the system to try to gain advantage.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 10:43:40 PM »
I think the driver's share is taken as collateral damage, as no fines may be enough for teams to impose for such behavior. So imposing such harsh punishment may prompt the teams to be more careful in future. Driver is a part of a team, so in a sense he is taking as a part of punishment to the team.

I agree its a bit harsh, but unfortunately imposing fine will not help things either
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Willy

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 11:33:38 PM »
Good points guys....thanks.
I can see the whole team aspect and had not thought about how things are dealt with in other classes of racing such as Le Mans etc.
I bet the lolipop guy is buying a few beers over this one.
 ;) ;)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 12:39:11 AM »
NBC showed a bit of film that showed Rosberg left while the red light on his "lollipop" was still on, so this was his error.
Lonny

Offline Irisado

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 03:11:02 PM »
Regardless of whose error it was, I haven't seen any on board footage, so I cannot comment, it is the team as a whole which has to pay the penalty, because Formula 1 is a team sport.  Separating the car and driver was, effectively, stopped following the fuel sampling fiasco at the 1995 Brazilian Grand Prix, and rightly so.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle