collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 230
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16172 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13013 Posts
John S John S
11290 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Japanese Grand Prix  (Read 603 times)

Offline Scott

Japanese Grand Prix
« on: October 14, 2013, 08:22:39 PM »
Well, I don't know about you guys, but I just managed to finally watch the race.  And it was pretty good.  Sorry I never managed to check the forecast before I made my picks though, as soon as I turned on the TV and saw the sunny blue skies, I knew I had lost another point (who picked Webber for Pole?). 

Still, it was a good race from lots of perspectives.  Sorry for Hamilton, but in fairness, it certainly wasn't Vettel's fault, he really had nowhere to go.  Not sure what to make of the RBR conspiracy, as the boys on Sky mentioned, Mark is simply harder on his tires and very likely couldn't have managed a 2 stopper, at least not in front of Vettel, so his only real chance was to do 3 stops, but unfortunately was stuck behind Grossjean. 

Grossjean was an old pro.  I think he is slowly shedding his Wrecker Romain nickname and is showing the team that they were right to stick with him, and that he can take the team places even if they put a rookie in Kimi's place.

Great battles through the midfield, especially in the late parts of the race.  Perez getting the same rub as Hammy got, but from Hammy's teammate and not another RBR.  Perez once again showed me he's little more than a bully, banging wheels and trying to force other cars off the track. 

Sadly, Nico couldn't carry the torch for Mercedes after Lewis went out.  He is so often a fair weather racer.  Once he finds himself midfield, he can't seem to drag himself out of it.  Only when he does well in Q can he sometimes stay near the pointy end of the field for the entire race.

I think perhaps Kimi impressed Alonso today, considering after Alonso finally got past Massa, Massa fell off almost 40sec behind, while Kimi kept climbing and was full in the mirrors of Alonso by the flag.  Given another 5 laps, I think Kimi would have had Alonso.

Finally, what can I say, fantastic drive by both Saubers, even if John doesn't like the defensive racing like that displayed by Gutierrez  :P :P

Right rear wheel gun guy at Mclaren needs to look for new work I imagine...both Mclarens delayed by the same wheel?  No, I doubt it was the mech's fault, but geeez, at the very least change guns after the first muck up with Button - even if you don't know if it was the gun or not.  Perez paid for that one.

Great race, sorry I couldn't watch it live, but thoroughly enjoyed most of it.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

Re: Japanese Grand Prix
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 09:28:04 PM »
There was talk after the race that the problem was with the wheel gun, but I haven't found anything on the web about it today.

In the Chat Room during the race, several of us noted how great tracks, like Suzuka, produce great racing. Yesterday was the proof of that. True, most of that racing was back in the field, but it was good racing never the less.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

Re: Japanese Grand Prix
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 03:19:06 PM »
It not so much that they necessarily produce great racing, rather it's that they have the potential to produce great racing ;).

This year's race wasn't great, but there were some good battles in the midfield, and I really was very happy to see some unexpected results in the top ten.  The Saubers surprised me with their race pace, especially Gutierrez, and I 'd like to see them stay ahead of Toro Rosso for the rest of the year.

The battle at the back also is getting close.  You could see that from the fact that Bianchi and Van de Garde collided.  Caterham need to overhaul Marussia, and based on current finishers at each Grand Prix, they're not going to do it, so expect that battle to become even more intensely fought if we get a race with a pile up at the front, or if it rains somewhere.

The battle, such as it was, at the front was ruined by Red Bull's 'strategic' decision to put Webber onto a three stopper.  I was dubious about that when they did, and sure enough I was proved right.

Also, how much more luck is Vettel going to receive?  Anyone else would have had to pit for a new front wing, yet somehow he got away with it.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle