collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 256
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16175 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13015 Posts
John S John S
11290 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: A Phone Worth Keeping  (Read 4101 times)

Offline Wizzo

A Phone Worth Keeping
« on: October 30, 2013, 11:17:40 PM »
Is it just me or does this seem like a really good idea?

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Online cosworth151

Re: A Phone Worth Keeping
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 11:17:18 AM »
An outstanding idea! I hope they can make it work.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 11:39:14 AM »
There are certainly times when I would like to reconfigure my phone - more memory when I am on a holiday, more battery life when I am on business somewhere, and upgrading screens and cameras is also an interesting concept. 

I think at the moment the telco's and phone makers like their present business plan, and would be reluctant to provide something that might last years though.  I'm sure it's a tough club to join though.  Maybe Blackberry could reinvent themselves by picking up this concept...they seem to be the bad boy of the market anyhow.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 01:23:45 PM »
It's a good idea alright, but I reckon the 'bloks' would be pretty expensive.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 02:03:32 PM »
It's a good idea alright, but I reckon the 'bloks' would be pretty expensive.

That's why it works though Ian.

You buy your starter phone at cost, or even a loss.  Then you buy a bit here, buy a bit there.  Who cares if you're buying $10 worth of memory for $20?  It's better than buying a $700 phone, right?

Of course, you buy memory, and then a camera, and faster access, a bigger screen, and you've spent $700 before you know it anyway. 

I used to love building my own computer, so I love the idea of building my own phone.

Offline Ian

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 02:29:49 PM »
I wouldn't even dream of paying £100 for a phone Jeri. In the event of mine breaking I can get a used Nokia 6700 the same as mine for £20/£30. It does all I want in a phone.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 07:04:01 PM »
I wouldn't even dream of paying £100 for a phone Jeri. In the event of mine breaking I can get a used Nokia 6700 the same as mine for £20/£30. It does all I want in a phone.

I guess part of the problem is calling the device a 'phone', as though it's in any way connected to the thing Alexander Graham Bell invented.

Having access to a large portion of human knowledge any time, any where is valuable to me... even if mostly I'm just using it to play plants vs zombies while waiting for my lunch.

Most people don't NEED these devices, but there's a long list of consumer goods that the world would survive just fine without.  Anytime we can reduce landfill while keeping corporations happy is a win.

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 07:08:06 PM »
If I wanted to I can go on line with my mobile but I use my pc for that.

Offline Neil.P

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 08:06:48 PM »
I like the idea of that phone. But as Ian states, it could work out to be quite expensive buying all the bits.

Neil.P

vintly

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 10:42:30 AM »
Neat idea, but businesses won't go against their core interest to develop something else until they HAVE to, so cross-collaboration a non-starter. Would be lovely if Blackberry or someone had a go at it as Scott says, they'd certainly get a lot of interest.

Personally I like upgrading iPhones every 18 months. On to my 5th now - and all the old ones still work. The kids have one each (no SIM, some games, lots of music, limited use); another is the stereo in the kitchen; the remaining spare is on loan to a visiting guest. No landfill here, but that may come, so no shiny halo either  >:D

Online cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 11:23:42 AM »
I always get my new mobiles the same way. I walk in the office & Laura says, "Here's your new phone. Give me your old one."  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 01:11:57 PM »
I upgrade my iPhones when I can get one at least a year old for next to nothing from my telco.  Have a 4 at the moment (no, not 4S).  Works fine.  Probably keep this one for another year or two.  Silicone case has saved me from an annual upgrade, I'm sure. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle