collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 567
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Vettel can get better in F1 - Newey  (Read 1542 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Vettel can get better in F1 - Newey
« on: October 31, 2013, 09:00:37 PM »
Oh Lordy Lordy! - Adrian means it. :swoon: Where does that leave All the others????    :DntKnw:    

Red Bull design guru Adrian Newey says Sebastian Vettel improves as a driver every time he steps into his car - and sees no reason for the 26-year-old's development to slow down anytime soon.

Vettel on Sunday became the youngest ever driver to rack up four world titles, beating Michael Schumacher's previous record for the milestone by six years with victory in the Indian Grand Prix.

With 36 career wins to his name Vettel stands fourth on the all-time list, and with so much time on his side Formula One's most prized records are conceivably there for the taking further down the line.

Schumacher's tallies of seven world titles and 91 grand prix wins represent formidable targets, but even they could come under threat from a driver who has come to dominate the sport just six years on from making his debut as a fresh-faced 19-year-old.

"Sebastian is not going to get worse, that's for sure," Newey said after seeing Vettel dominate in India.

"He's going to continue to develop, although it's difficult to see how he can develop relative to this season, but no doubt he will.

"As we can continue to build competitive cars then hopefully Sebastian can continue to win more championships with us."

Vettel's win on Sunday was his sixth in succession and 10th overall this season - a display of consistency and efficiency typical of the very greatest talents Formula One has produced.

Newey-designed cars have won countless titles down the years and been driven by the likes of Nigel Mansell, Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna and Mika Hakkinen, and Newey believes Vettel has earned his place in the very top bracket.

"A lot of people have asked me to compare the drivers I have been lucky enough to work with and it is wholly unfair for me to compare them," Newey said.

"But the one thing they do share is that ability to drive and process at the same time. They also have an incredible recall after they get out of the car.

"I think that means that they can drive while considering and planning what they are going to do next in the race. Then, they can get out of the car afterwards and continue to learn and analyse what happened in the race.

"You see it with Sebastian all the time. You have that impression that each time he gets in the car, he gets in with a bit more knowledge than he got out of it last time."

So good is the German at absorbing information and learning from past errors, Newey feels he is now approaching a point where he can be regarded a perfect racing driver.

"His driving has gone from very talented but slightly raw at times, let's say in 2009, to incredibly well-rounded now," he said.

"In 2009 and 2010 you could occasionally criticise him for making slightly ill-judged moves and having accidents, and you could criticise him possibly for not being able to overtake, as a lot of people felt that if he didn't start from pole and control the race from there, then he was not so good.

"But I think you really cannot make those criticisms any more. It is difficult to see a chink in his armour."

By Press Association, MSN Sport (sport.uk.msm.com), Today.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:04:42 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: Vettel can get better in F1 - Newey
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:45:29 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen Newey give an interview that long...he's generally a man of few words.  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 12:41:15 AM »
I'd like to think that if Vettel is capable as growing as a driver, it will include growing as a role model to younger drivers.  There's nothing to say that a dominant athlete has to be hated because of his success.

If he really is hurt by the boo's, then if he's everything Newey says, then he can turn his image around too.

I must say, the prospect of Vettel becoming the best F1 driver of all time isn't  a bad thing, if he can round out all aspects of greatness.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 07:56:14 AM »
I'd like to think that if Vettel is capable as growing as a driver, it will include growing as a role model to younger drivers.  There's nothing to say that a dominant athlete has to be hated because of his success.

If he really is hurt by the boo's, then if he's everything Newey says, then he can turn his image around too.

I must say, the prospect of Vettel becoming the best F1 driver of all time isn't  a bad thing, if he can round out all aspects of greatness.

Absolutely...  :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

vintly

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 10:49:02 AM »

^ That

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 03:38:39 AM »
 :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
Lonny

Offline Irisado

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 03:22:10 PM »

It would be nice to think this way, but I don't see it.  To my mind, he just replicates the same behaviour every year, and in some respects, gets worse.  I don't him changing, because he doesn't think that he's doing anything wrong.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle