collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 559
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 Boring  (Read 1688 times)

vintly

F1 Boring
« on: November 04, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
Can't believe I missed this article. It holds a lot of truths as far as I'm concerned, but I do like the little German chap, so I would say that.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/motorhead-uk/vettel-makes-f1-boring-makes-him-genius-090608287.html

Offline Jericoke

Re: F1 Boring
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 09:26:57 PM »
Can't believe I missed this article. It holds a lot of truths as far as I'm concerned, but I do like the little German chap, so I would say that.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/motorhead-uk/vettel-makes-f1-boring-makes-him-genius-090608287.html

I do think the TV coverage is doing an excellent job of focusing on the racing going on behind Vettel.  In the past, when MS was doing the same thing, it was 90 minutes of watching a red car lap without incident.

RBR's sponsors just aren't getting the TV they should for sponsoring a championship team!

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 06:34:50 AM »

I do think the TV coverage is doing an excellent job of focusing on the racing going on behind Vettel.  In the past, when MS was doing the same thing, it was 90 minutes of watching a red car lap without incident.

RBR's sponsors just aren't getting the TV they should for sponsoring a championship team!

Shhhhhhhh!  Let's keep it that way.

And if Vettel's head wasn't wrapped around records and points, he'd take my advice.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Willy

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 04:34:06 AM »
I have to agree with Jeri that we are seeing way more of the mid-field racing then we did when MS ran away with each race.
2004 was a snore for all concerned as far as TV coverage was concerned.
Last race we hardly saw Vettel as he had such a massive lead there was no point in covering him. 
Other then the fact that RBR sponsors are backing a winning horse, they are not getting huge TV coverage during the race.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 11:00:09 AM »
Yeah good piece Vintly and for me the last sentences contain the killer point - " But you certainly cannot blame Sebastian Vettel. All he has done is get in his car and drive it faster than everyone else.  And isn’t that the whole point?"

It's always been up to the other drivers and teams to catch the leader, over many years we have seen dominance from different car & driver combos, it's really no different now. If you ask all the big team bosses they will all agree it's their team's job to compete with the runaway Bulls by stepping up their game, not by having the rules changed to level out performance. 

One James "Jim" Clark, Jr OBE, liked nothing better than sprinting away into the lead to control a race on his terms, and he did it on many, many occasions. The big difference way back then was the expectation that some mechanical or other issue would arise always mixing up the field and sharing the wins out.

Maybe it's as simple as hiding fuel usage from the pitwall, without the ability to know when to signal the driver to back off, leaving the pilot to manage his own fuel use, might just cause a few upsets next season, especially with less petrol allowed.  :DntKnw:   
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:01:53 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 12:53:02 PM »
Either these people haven't noticed that arrogance and ruthlessness comes as standard with every great F1 champion, or they are equally dismissive of the achievements of Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost or Michael Schumacher.

I fall into the second group. I am equally dismissive of Senna and Prost. Even more dismissive of Schumacher because of his frequent cheating.

When I think of great F1 champions, I think of people like Fangio, Clark and Stewart. I've never heard the words ruthless or arrogant applied to any of them

And then there is Moss. At the 1958 GP pf Portugal, the stewards were going to penalize Mike Hawthorne. Sir Sterling corrected the stewards, even though it cost him that year's championship. OK, Moss never won a WDC, but he was a champion in every sense of the word. F1 would do well to have more of that kind of honor and less of the cheap ruthlessness so highly praised by some today.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 03:05:20 PM »
And then there is Moss. At the 1958 GP pf Portugal, the stewards were going to penalize Mike Hawthorne. Sir Sterling corrected the stewards, even though it cost him that year's championship. OK, Moss never won a WDC, but he was a champion in every sense of the word. F1 would do well to have more of that kind of honor and less of the cheap ruthlessness so highly praised by some today.

Like Vergne sticking up for Alonso?

Offline Irisado

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 03:41:44 PM »
I think that the article isn't that great to be honest, but the following part, cited by Cosworth above, is the worst:

To some, he is arrogant and ruthless, having overtaken team-mate Mark Webber in decidedly iffy circumstances earlier this year. Either these people haven't noticed that arrogance and ruthlessness comes as standard with every great F1 champion, or they are equally dismissive of the achievements of Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost or Michael Schumacher.

To say that everyone must belong to either group is just trying to put people into boxes, which is just wrong in my opinion.  It can be, and in my view is, more complicated than that.  They gloss over that it's his attitude that is the major problem, rather than his speed, and in that respect, I equate him with Schumacher.

A driver can be arrogant and ruthless, yet still earn respect.  I respect Senna and Prost for actually racing against each other in the same team.  McLaren crushed everyone in 1988, but was it a boring season?  No, because you never knew whether it would be Prost or Senna who would win.  If Vettel is so good, let's see him go up against Alonso, Hamilton, or possibly Raikkonen, in the same team, and see how many races he wins.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle