collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 542
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Webber:Seb will reach 7  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Dare

Webber:Seb will reach 7
« on: November 11, 2013, 01:28:27 PM »
I was afraid it was going to be a Webber praising
seb post but he got a few jabs in,too few

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/9020678/Webber-Seb-Will-Reach-Schu-s-Seven

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: Webber:Seb will reach 7
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 09:43:18 PM »
Good remarks by Webber.  Liked his point about Bolt, to all the naysayers that think it is just because Vettel wins too much.   :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 04:05:13 AM »
Good remarks by Webber.  Liked his point about Bolt, to all the naysayers that think it is just because Vettel wins too much.   :good:

Bolt wins 1/10 of a second before anyone else.  Then the archer thing, and then it's over.

Vettel gives us 90 minutes of foregone conlusion, donuts (okay, that's a fun touch) and a finger.  And then a weigh in, and then awkward small talk... the same two anthems... the same questions about keeping focused while all alone...

It's not because Vettel wins all the time.  If he won every single race on the last corner and wrapped up the championship in July, people would love him.  They're booing the lack of spectacle he brings to F1.  Not sure what else he could do... if he were to slow down and toy with the opposition... that would literally make a mockery of the sport.

He should talk to Vince McMahon.  He's got the wrestlers trained to accept boos as cheers.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 06:23:20 AM »
Ok, we'll jump back into this one. 

The reason Vettel gets booed (and my point was simply that Webber even recognizes it, and I think he is more in a position to see and hear it than you or me) is for his race at Malaysia, but more to that, the fact that he has never properly apologized or recognized that it was wrong to Mark.

Vettel has made the last 6-7 races boring - to his credit - but even if I was attending the race live, I wouldn't wildly cheer him, but with respect to the race, I wouldn't boo him either. 

He has chosen how to behave in the F1 media and his answers on Malaysia have brought on this fan behaviour, not all his wins.

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 10:45:38 AM »
What Scott said (mostly) +1

I do get ticked off with all this hero worship though. Yes Vettel has won lots of races but this doesn't make him some form of driving god! He is in the best car on the grid and that car has been specifically developed around his driving style. Webber would have been closer to him in the WDC if it wasn't for his appalling luck. Alonso, Hamilton, Kimi and probably quite a few other drivers would match / beat Vettel if they had the same equipment.
In my early days of motor sport (yes the vehicles were steam powered) I had one season on a brand new 900cc 4-cylinder Kawasaki where I won 8 races out of 10 (I was second in one and crashed in the other). I won the series by a huge margin. The next season there were a lot of similar Kawasaki's plus Honda had launched a new model - I won two of the first three races and finished 3rd-7th in all of the others. I know I hadn't suddenly got slower so the conclusion has to be that bike was superior in the previous season.
It is possible that Vettel will go on to win more WDC's (like Schumacher) but this will only happen if his car is one of the best and one of the most reliable (like Schumacher) and if he has a clear number two partner (like Schumacher) and he remains lucky.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 03:31:32 PM »
The reason Vettel gets booed (and my point was simply that Webber even recognizes it, and I think he is more in a position to see and hear it than you or me) is for his race at Malaysia, but more to that, the fact that he has never properly apologized or recognized that it was wrong to Mark.

Yes, Vettel is never wrong, and never reflects on his own behaviour towards others.  That is precisely the problem.  I agree.

As to whether he will reach seven championships, I hope not.  There are drivers on the grid who are easily good enough to stop him, but they need better equipment.  Ferrari, Mercedes, and McLaren must provide their drivers with much better cars than they have this year in order to challenge Vettel.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 03:45:13 PM »
What Scott said (mostly) +1

I do get ticked off with all this hero worship though. Yes Vettel has won lots of races but this doesn't make him some form of driving god! He is in the best car on the grid and that car has been specifically developed around his driving style. Webber would have been closer to him in the WDC if it wasn't for his appalling luck. Alonso, Hamilton, Kimi and probably quite a few other drivers would match / beat Vettel if they had the same equipment.
In my early days of motor sport (yes the vehicles were steam powered) I had one season on a brand new 900cc 4-cylinder Kawasaki where I won 8 races out of 10 (I was second in one and crashed in the other). I won the series by a huge margin. The next season there were a lot of similar Kawasaki's plus Honda had launched a new model - I won two of the first three races and finished 3rd-7th in all of the others. I know I hadn't suddenly got slower so the conclusion has to be that bike was superior in the previous season.
It is possible that Vettel will go on to win more WDC's (like Schumacher) but this will only happen if his car is one of the best and one of the most reliable (like Schumacher) and if he has a clear number two partner (like Schumacher) and he remains lucky.

#1:  Belated congratulations on your dominant victory!  :-*

#2:  There is a big difference between being a talented race car driver and a Formula One Champion.  If Alonso, Kimi et al could defeat Vettel in similar equipment... why aren't THEY driving the superior car?  Yes, we can certainly attribute this to luck, but as I said above, any driver could have had Seb's seat if they really wanted it.  They didn't take it.  He did.  A champion isn't someone who drives faster/passes better/is great on tires.  A champion is someone who gets an opportunity and takes it.  That's all Vettel has done.  He's had taken advantage of every opportunity that's come his way.  He's taken the fruits of those opportunities (driving the Newey car to multiple championships), and he's taken the lumps those opportunities have provided:  losing a race despite taking his teammate's new and improved nosecone... passing a teammate slowing on track when the whole world knew he'd been asked not to.

As a race fan... I'm not fond of Vettel's dominance.  As a parent... I don't find his sense of sportsmanship very appealing.  However... as a sports fan, the story of Sebastian Vettel is very fascinating, especially since we're still in the opening chapters.

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »
I don't think Vettel's seat at RBR was open for all comers, talented or not.  Vettel was part of Red Bull's driver program for years and was groomed for it almost as much as Hamilton was for Mclaren.

Offline Monty

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
#1:  Belated congratulations on your dominant victory! 

Not sure if there is some sarcasm in this comment but thank you anyway  :-[ - it was probably around the same year as you were born!

#2:  There is a big difference between being a talented race car driver and a Formula One Champion.  If Alonso, Kimi et al could defeat Vettel in similar equipment... why aren't THEY driving the superior car?  Yes, we can certainly attribute this to luck, but as I said above, any driver could have had Seb's seat if they really wanted it.  They didn't take it.  He did.  A champion isn't someone who drives faster/passes better/is great on tires.  A champion is someone who gets an opportunity and takes it.  That's all Vettel has done.  He's had taken advantage of every opportunity that's come his way.  He's taken the fruits of those opportunities (driving the Newey car to multiple championships), and he's taken the lumps those opportunities have provided:  losing a race despite taking his teammate's new and improved nosecone... passing a teammate slowing on track when the whole world knew he'd been asked not to.

Even in this post I feel there is too much idol worship - he was lucky to get into a team just as they were starting to dominate technically. Yes he is a good driver and has made the most of what he was given. Luck paid a huge part in his initial success, then he manipulated his relationship with Marko to ensure that he was given priority in the team (I agree this is part of becoming a Champion but it certainly doesn't make him a great champion). It is wrong to say that any of the other drivers could have got the seat. A driver has to make a decision to join a team at any given time and then there are contracts to hold the driver in a seat for a particular time. There are exceptions (Button) but it is not generally possible to jump from one team to another just at the most opportune time.
It is clear that I do not like Vettel (mostly due to his treatment of Webber and of course the awful finger waving) but I have not said that he is a bad driver. Quite the opposite - he is a very good driver. I just feel he is no better than any of the other front runners.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 09:23:36 PM »
#1:  Belated congratulations on your dominant victory! 

Not sure if there is some sarcasm in this comment but thank you anyway  :-[ - it was probably around the same year as you were born!

Even in this post I feel there is too much idol worship - he was lucky to get into a team just as they were starting to dominate technically. Yes he is a good driver and has made the most of what he was given. Luck paid a huge part in his initial success, then he manipulated his relationship with Marko to ensure that he was given priority in the team (I agree this is part of becoming a Champion but it certainly doesn't make him a great champion). It is wrong to say that any of the other drivers could have got the seat. A driver has to make a decision to join a team at any given time and then there are contracts to hold the driver in a seat for a particular time. There are exceptions (Button) but it is not generally possible to jump from one team to another just at the most opportune time.
It is clear that I do not like Vettel (mostly due to his treatment of Webber and of course the awful finger waving) but I have not said that he is a bad driver. Quite the opposite - he is a very good driver. I just feel he is no better than any of the other front runners.

#1.  No sacasm intended.  I think it's fantastic that I get to chat with real racers, and even more fantastic to learn that you're an accomplished champion!  I'm am armchair race fan for sure.  I've only driven faster than 100 mph once in my life.

#2.  As I said, I love Vettel's 'story'.  If it comes across as hero worship... well... I guess it's the story that makes the hero.

In 2009 Both Alonso (who broke a contract...) and Vettel changed teams.  I understand that Vettel was on the 'fast track' to stay with RBR, but I don't believe for a second they would have turned down Alonso if he wanted to race for RBR.

At least we agree we're not discussing on track skill, but recognizing that being a champion is accomplished off track as well.  Knowing the right people, helps, and timing helps.  Vettel was lucky, but he also followed through on his luck.  Other drivers have been equally lucky, but squandered it.  Hamilton and Jacques Villeneuve come to mind

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle