collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 570
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Lewis's Off-Track Transport  (Read 5422 times)

Offline cosworth151

Lewis's Off-Track Transport
« on: November 12, 2013, 08:28:06 PM »
How Lewis Hamilton gets around off the track. This is his custom painted Bombardier Challenger 605 (msn 5904 / G-LCDH) business jet. He took delivery last January. He also has a custom registry number. G-LCDH stands for Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

Re: Lewis's Off-Track Transport
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 09:17:52 PM »
Very nice too, apart from the colour scheme.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 08:14:09 AM »
Aside from wasting a ton of money, I really don't see the point.  Flying commercial First Class costs a tiny fraction of what this thing will cost him over his career.  F1 drivers don't need private jets.  Even Schumacher didn't have one, Alonso (F1's current F1 money leader) doesn't have one.  On the odd occasion that commercial airlines won't work logistically, they can always charter a private jet.  Sorry, but I have never understood the need to own private jets, especially in sport.  |-( |-( |-(

He's just going to blow all his money before he's 40.   :fool: :fool:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:22:04 AM »
Your forgetting his new BFF, Roscoe the dog, Scott.
Only way to ensure his pooch travels in the cabin with him is to have your own plane.  :D
He probably let the mutt choose the colour scheme as well.  :DD
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 12:35:48 PM »
Because flying is even more fun than driving. I'm sure he doesn't take the bus, even that would be more economical. I'll bet he doesn't even drive a Prius. BTW, almost every top NASCAR driver is also a pilot.

Flying that World War II vintage A-26 was a bigger rush than any race car I've ever driven. Trust me, if I hit a huge lottery, I'd buy a jet even before an Aston Martin.

I remember being at Eagle Creek Airport, on the NW side of Indy back in the 90's. There was a beautiful new Commander park on the ramp. It had a Texas flag painted on the vertical stabilizer with a black & white checkered band below it. the registry number on the fuselage was N500JR. A quick question to the guy at the fuel desk confirmed what I thought. The plane was flown by Johnny Rutherford.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 03:11:55 PM »
Aside from wasting a ton of money, I really don't see the point.  Flying commercial First Class costs a tiny fraction of what this thing will cost him over his career.  F1 drivers don't need private jets.  Even Schumacher didn't have one, Alonso (F1's current F1 money leader) doesn't have one.  On the odd occasion that commercial airlines won't work logistically, they can always charter a private jet.  Sorry, but I have never understood the need to own private jets, especially in sport.  |-( |-( |-(

He's just going to blow all his money before he's 40.   :fool: :fool:

Even flying first class means sticking to an airline schedule.  Dealing with airline procedures.  Flying to where airlines fly.  If Hamilton wants to go somewhere off the beaten path, it probably makes sense to have his own plane.

As for owning a plane instead of chartering a plane, I don't know if that makes much sense economically.

However, at the end of the day I'm happy he bought a Canadian airplane  :yahoo:

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 03:28:04 PM »
If you are flying your own plane, the procedures and paperwork take up far more time than dealing with airline procedures.  If you're not doing it yourself, you're going to have to pay someone to do it for you.

What I am saying is that on the odd occasion where flying commercial won't work, in that case you can charter one.  Still WAY cheaper than fuelling and maintaining your own plane, hangar and crew - especially a private jet.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 04:05:37 PM »
Procedures & paperwork? I flew this past Sunday in a Stinson Flying Staton Wagon. (Yes, that's really it's model name) We checked the weather, checked for NOTAMs ([Notice to Airmen), Pre-flighted the plane & took to the sky.

Like I said, a Prius is WAY cheaper than an Vanquish. Taking the bus is even cheaper. How would you rather travel?  ;)
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 04:11:52 PM »
Fair enough, but I don't think jets qualify for joyrides without flight plans and landing permissions.  Of course I'm out of my depth here Cos, as you are yourself a pilot, but you'll have a hard time justifying with me the pro's vs con's of international travel throughout Europe and beyond in a private jet.  Hamilton lives in Switzerland...there aren't many airports here where you can take off and not be in another country before you get to cruising altitude.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 04:20:47 PM »
The letter G at the start of the registry on Lewis's bird indicates the U.K. as its home country. Swiss registry would start with HB.

I don't know much about air regs in Europe. Here in the States, we only have to file a flight plane for commercial flights. Other than that, they are optional. Except for the busiest airports, landing permission is obtained by radioing the tower when you get within range.

Here at Fairfield County Airport, we don't even have a tower.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 04:49:08 PM »
The letter G at the start of the registry on Lewis's bird indicates the U.K. as its home country. Swiss registry would start with HB.

I don't know much about air regs in Europe. Here in the States, we only have to file a flight plane for commercial flights. Other than that, they are optional. Except for the busiest airports, landing permission is obtained by radioing the tower when you get within range.

Here at Fairfield County Airport, we don't even have a tower.

The Euros do love their paperwork.  And I should think most of Hamilton's flights would be international, even flying in/out of the USA requires a ton of paperwork these days.

However, given the 'luxury' status of F1, I should think that flying first class in/out of race weekends would be pretty much booked up.  If Lewis wants to sit with his friends and family, this is the way to guarantee it.  Also means that those dozen seats are available to fans.

But I agree with Cos.  What's the point of making the money if you're not going to spend it?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 05:21:27 PM »
even flying in/out of the USA requires a ton of paperwork these days.

Not if you stay really, really low.  ;)
― Bob Dylan

vintly

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 06:13:56 PM »
He can afford it all right, and I don't think he's the type to develop a huge gambling habit, so he'll be fine. (He can comfortable afford a huge drug habit so no problem there.) The plane is simply a way for him to have fun. I've come round to enjoying Lewis for his extravagance, bling and generally colourful lifestyle. I wouldn't say it adds glamour - it's completely over the top and rather ridiculous, but it's fun to watch. As long as he's quick, and I draw the line at two haircuts on one head. Please Lewis, never again.

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 07:14:20 PM »
$27m purchase price and .58km per litre of jet fuel.  Seats maybe 10 in luxury mode, if he wants a bed and kitchenette in there, then probably less.  The fewer the seats, the stupider an idea it is.

I'd rather have a gambling habit.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 07:21:02 PM by scott »

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 07:56:08 PM »
It seats 19. It travels at about 475 knots, or 550 mph.

This is the Stinson Flying Station Wagon. I took this photo at one of our open house events a while back.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle