collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 213
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16175 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13015 Posts
John S John S
11290 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Ferrari to ditch pullrod system on new F1 car  (Read 602 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Ferrari to ditch pullrod system on new F1 car
« on: November 27, 2013, 10:26:23 AM »

Allison pushing new direction for 2014. Will McLaren back away as well?

Stanger than the Marenello tech change is Bernie's comments at the end of the piece, below. Does the very experienced old curmudgeon really think that Nando could have done more with the famous red car this year - or is there another aggenda?  :confused:

Ferrari has "almost certainly" abandoned its novel approach to front suspension layout ahead of the 2014 season.

That is the claim of the authoritative Italian publication Autosprint, after Ferrari came close to winning last year's title with the 'pullrod' system not seen on the F1 grid for more than a decade.

Autosprint reports: "The 2014 Ferrari will almost certainly abandon the pullrod front suspension to return to classic pushrod, as per all the other teams apart from McLaren."

Indeed, McLaren - despite having arguably the fastest car at the end of 2012 - followed Ferrari's lead into pullrod technology for 2013, and promptly had its worst season in decades.

Ferrari's change of direction may have been influenced by newcomer James Allison, who was responsible for the highly competitive Lotus cars of recent seasons.

"In F1, you don't fix everything overnight," the Briton is quoted as saying. "The team has analysed its weak points, one by one, and we are continuing to do that.

"It is no secret that we have been lacking in the aerodynamic area in recent seasons," added Allison.

Bernie Ecclestone hopes the famous team, arguably the most important name in Formula One, can get back to winning ways in 2014.

"People think the Ferrari name is enough to win," the F1 chief executive told Marca, "but I think Mr (Luca di) Montezemolo has put much more into the team for next year and we will see a very different Ferrari."

Asked by the Spanish sports newspaper what he thinks Ferrari did wrong in 2013, Ecclestone answered: "I don't know if the problem was Ferrari or Fernando (Alonso).

"I hope he has not lost the enthusiasm that he had -- the problem is that if you think the team can't give you the car you want, it's a problem, isn't it?"

Master.motorsport.com, Today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Ferrari to ditch pullrod system on new F1 car
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
Good for Ferrari is good for F1 (as much as I hate to say it)

As for Bernie's comments about Alonso/Ferrari... I think if you look back at the history of Ferrari, there are a lot of sore feelings from ex drivers.  Irvine and Barichello were very vocal about their time.  Kimi seemed to have lost his motivation before Alonso replaced him.  Even Schumacher could have come back with Ferrari and chose not to.

My guess is that the pressure of driving for Ferrari is immense, and it wears on even the best drivers.  Winning goes a long way to making things right, but losing is going to let the pressure get to them, no matter how flush their bank account is (these guys are all racers first, and millionaire playboys second... even Kimi)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Ferrari to ditch pullrod system on new F1 car
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 04:27:34 PM »
I would imagine that Allison's arrival was the major deciding factor. He'll want to go with his own design. I don't think he's had ant experience with pull rod systems.

As for Alanoso, the general consensus seemed to be that he was doing his best with a bad car.

I wonder if McLaren will revert to pushrods, too.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle