collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 576
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Paul Walker dies  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Dare

Paul Walker dies
« on: December 01, 2013, 04:32:02 AM »

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Wizzo

Re: Paul Walker dies
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 09:29:09 AM »
Wow so young. RIP Paul  :(
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 11:53:01 AM »
That's a real shame...he'll love on in the movies and games.  RIP Mr. Walker.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 04:03:36 PM »
I didn't know that he had gotten into racing in real life. He raced in the Redline Time Attack Series in a BMW M3, until the series folded in 2011. Three years ago, he championed a Mazda Miata with Motorsports Enterprises Racing at the brutal 25 Hours of Thunderhill, his first wheel-to-wheel race.

Such a sad loss. RIP, Paul.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20131130/carnews/131139996#ixzz2mEuvZ1pm

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 06:17:13 PM »
James Dean left us so young, while in driving a Porsche Spyder. No I didn't have the chance to see him before that. But I have seen Paul Walker, I have enjoyed his Fast & Furious immensely, I always liked his enthusiasm for cars, and suddenly when the news reached me I just felt histories cruel ways of repetition. And he also died in a Porsche..

You will be always in my heart with those films..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Ian

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 08:10:15 PM »
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 01:03:22 PM »
Graham Rahal was a previous owner of the car. He found it difficult to drive.

"It says it has traction control, but that traction control on that car is not going to do a thing to save you," Rahal said.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20131201/carnews/131209996#ixzz2mK2SJ6j0
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 01:38:04 PM »
The pictures are horrendous and feels like as if some body just ripped away the backside of the car. I wonder how many collisions it had before coming to a stand still.

Paul was an experienced driver and so was his friend who was driving. The only console in this sorry saga is unlike many of his contemporary, Paul died doing something he loved, not by overdosing sleeping pills or pain killers.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 05:17:43 PM by F1fanaticBD »

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 03:44:54 PM »
Without knowing the details of the crash, I have to wonder... how could a modern car have failed so spectacularly?

A fireball?

Ford gave up making police cars because theirs would catch fire under a very specific scenario. 

How can Porshe sell a car that explodes when it crashes?

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »
I have to agree with you in this count Jeri, as I was looking the James Deans crash's picture, it makes me wonder how come after 60 years of engineering excellence we have a worse looking car crash instead of expected better outcome? :DntKnw: :DntKnw:

Offline Ian

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 05:39:20 PM »
I would imagine it was such an impact that it suffered a catastrophic fuel tank failure.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 05:51:24 PM »
That's what I found odd about the pictures. The only part of the bodywork left intact was the front end. I thought that was where the gas tank was on the Carerra GT's fuel tank was.
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 08:18:45 PM »
Fires in modern cars are not generally caused by the fuel/gas tank but by the hydraulic brake or clutch fluids coming into contact with hot surfaces. Modern hydraulic fluids can ignite spontaneously without spark simply by being above a certain temperature.

I watched a TV program a few years back about the dangers of buying cars with clutch or brake reservoirs forward of the safety cell bulkheads built into modern cars. On impact the crumpling of the front areas can easily rupture a reservoir, if forward of bulkhead, the resultant spillage hits the high temperature engine parts and immediately catches fire - no spark needed.  :swoon: 
Hell of a way to go.  :( 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 08:34:42 PM »
Fires in modern cars are not generally caused by the fuel/gas tank but by the hydraulic brake or clutch fluids coming into contact with hot surfaces. Modern hydraulic fluids can ignite spontaneously without spark simply by being above a certain temperature.

I watched a TV program a few years back about the dangers of buying cars with clutch or brake reservoirs forward of the safety cell bulkheads built into modern cars. On impact the crumpling of the front areas can easily rupture a reservoir, if forward of bulkhead, the resultant spillage hits the high temperature engine parts and immediately catches fire - no spark needed.  :swoon: 
Hell of a way to go.  :( 

Aren't there racing series that use more or less stock Porches?

This kind of crash wouldn't even be unlikely.  Are all those drivers in fireballs waiting to happen?

(OF course, this assumes that this Porche was stock.  I suppose if someone had been tinkering it might necessarily meet factory safety specs)

I remember watching Mythbusters a few years ago, and they found it very difficult to get a car to catch on fire under any circumstance that didn't involve a controlled explosive.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 06:57:44 AM »
Just going by rather vague memory here, but isn't that particular Porsche a carbon fiber tub? It is not a 911 as used in all racing series. They apparently slid sideways into a pole and then a tree, relatively sharp objects unlike a safety barrier on a race track. Where metal would have stretched and deformed, the C/F ripped and shattered. The engine bay separated from the cockpit, probably breaking all fluid lines causing an instant fire. Porsche may need to rethink some of the design elements here.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle