collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 557
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Sharks Send Tweets to Swimmers  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Wizzo

Sharks Send Tweets to Swimmers
« on: January 03, 2014, 01:44:05 PM »
More shark attacks occur in Western Australia than almost any place else on Earth. In order to help protect swimmers and surfers, the state government relies largely on helicopter-based spotters, plus members of the public who report their own sightings. Now, however, the Department of Fisheries has introduced a new system, in which the toothy fishes announce their own presence via Twitter.

Known as the Shark Monitoring Network, the system utilizes acoustic tags that are attached to the fins of individual sharks, along with buoyed monitoring devices that pick up the signals transmitted by those tags. When a tagged shark swims within range of one of the monitors, its species, size and location is automatically recorded.

That information is transmitted via satellite to a computer, which immediately posts it on Twitter. A tweet made just today reads, "Fisheries advise: tagged Bronze whaler shark detected at Garden Island (north end) receiver at 08:46:00 PM on 31-Dec-2013."

So far the system utilizes 19 satellite-linked monitors, that keep track of 338 tagged sharks – species include great whites, tigers and bulls. Needless to say, there are still plenty of untagged sharks swimming near the beaches of Western Australia, plus the monitors don't cover every square kilometer of coastline. For that reason, the network is intended to augment existing spotting systems, not replace them.

The Department of Fisheries developed the network in partnership with Surf Life Saving Western Australia, which carries the tweets on its Twitter feed.

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

vintly

Re: Sharks Send Tweets to Swimmers
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 04:14:39 PM »
Clever, but how many surfers are reading their Twitter feed whilst catching waves??

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 04:21:05 PM »
Somebody one the beach will be. The word will spread quickly.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 05:34:39 PM »
I think doing something this sort is better than surfing being blind. It must be severe problem, because the system development alone seems very sophisticated. I hope it saves as many people as it can :)
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Andy B

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 03:00:54 AM »
I hope this system works as in Perth they are to start putting drum lines out and any sharks caught will be killed. I am totally against this as the sharks have a right to be in their own environment and if a swimmer or surfer decides to go into that environment then they should accept the risk. Should humans kill all animals that attack us? Maybe all the lions in Africa should be killed or all the snakes and spiders in the world.
Stepping down off my soap box and walking away.  :stop:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 03:13:10 AM »
I hardly think killing sharks that prey on Perth beaches is anything like killing all the lions in Africa.  There are plenty more out there, and even if they only defend large cities, I don't really think the shark population will be drastically cut as a result (a far worse threat to shark's survival is the asian poaching for superstitious cures or talismans).  It's kind of like bears in Canada.  It's only the problem bears that are eliminated.  If the bears find it easier to get food in human populated areas, they are first relocated and then if they return, they are killed.  As it is a bit prohibitive to relocate a shark safely, they have few options.  A government will, after all, protect its people first. 

Speaking as someone who has a friend with two kids in northern Perth who LOVE boogie boarding, I am not so against it. 

Also stepping off soapbox...and don't forget if you went after the poisonous snakes and spiders, you'd probably find most of THEM in Australia as well. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 03:15:14 AM by scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 03:09:45 PM »
I hardly think killing sharks that prey on Perth beaches is anything like killing all the lions in Africa.  There are plenty more out there, and even if they only defend large cities, I don't really think the shark population will be drastically cut as a result (a far worse threat to shark's survival is the asian poaching for superstitious cures or talismans).  It's kind of like bears in Canada.  It's only the problem bears that are eliminated.  If the bears find it easier to get food in human populated areas, they are first relocated and then if they return, they are killed.  As it is a bit prohibitive to relocate a shark safely, they have few options.  A government will, after all, protect its people first. 

Speaking as someone who has a friend with two kids in northern Perth who LOVE boogie boarding, I am not so against it. 

Also stepping off soapbox...and don't forget if you went after the poisonous snakes and spiders, you'd probably find most of THEM in Australia as well.

If they want to relocate the sharks, or warn surfers to get out of the water, fine. 

If they want to kill the sharks, this should be a non-starter.  This isn't a matter of the sharks coming into human territory (ala bears), this is a matter of humans going into shark territory for recreation.  I think we've decided that killing animals for fun is barbaric.  (I'm still okay with killing animals to eat, or through environmental indifference.)

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 05:36:33 PM »

If they want to relocate the sharks, or warn surfers to get out of the water, fine. 

If they want to kill the sharks, this should be a non-starter.  This isn't a matter of the sharks coming into human territory (ala bears), this is a matter of humans going into shark territory for recreation.  I think we've decided that killing animals for fun is barbaric.  (I'm still okay with killing animals to eat, or through environmental indifference.)

Not sure, but I think all the territory was Bear territory before people were there  :DntKnw:

Perth has been around generations before today's sharks were there, so who is treading on who's territory? 

Perth has used shark nets, overhead patrols, all kinds of sensors and gadgets to try to protect their very popular beaches from killer sharks, and certainly continue to develop programs to deter the sharks, even beyond the drum lines.  There is a massive coast line north and south of the city where sharks pose little problem, but sharks seem to be attracted more and more to Perth's beaches, if it is by instinct, the distinct smell of sunscreen, or some other factor that is attracting them to populated beaches to attack. 

This media attention towards Perth's plans is a bit weak, since drum lines have been used extensively for as long as 50yrs in other parts of Australia, particularly Queensland.  Little has been said about those areas. 

It is simply not realistic to think that millions of residents should avoid the beach or 'swim at their own risk' when that risk is really very high.  There is not really that much to do in Perth that doesn't involve the water.  Maybe someone will come up with another, more effective way to protect the people, but until they do, I am ok with killing the ones that come too close.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 06:46:43 PM »
I'm still okay with killing animals to eat

So am I. I'm also fine with killing animals that want to eat me.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 08:34:13 PM »

:DD :DD :DD  Me too...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 07:30:04 AM »

:DD :DD :DD  Me too...

I would like to see the person who wouldn't. But I may not meet him ever, he is already in some animal's tummy  :D
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle