collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 589
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Inteligent Printer  (Read 9321 times)

Offline Wizzo

Inteligent Printer
« on: January 06, 2014, 12:36:41 PM »
SWYP (See What You Print) – a radically simple concept for printing.

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Scott

Re: Inteligent Printer
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 02:07:04 PM »
 :good: :good: :good:  Very cool.  If this is what is next, I want in.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 03:38:07 PM »
Very cool use of technology!  :good:

If it has a reasonable price, it should be big.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 08:02:38 PM »
Wow that looks simple awesome  :good: :good: :good:
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 03:24:36 PM »
A good idea with a couple downsides:

1)  How often do you print photos?  Even if the printer is $100, including ink, you need to print 1,000 to break even with a 10 cent printing place.

2) I've tried photoediting on a tablet, and still find it much easier with a mouse.

vintly

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 04:25:55 PM »
I'll eat my hat if that printer costs less than $500

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 05:02:25 PM »

More likely double that.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 06:02:17 PM »

More likely double that.

I dunno.  You can get a decent printer for $50, and a passable tablet for $100.

Once you cut out the cost of battery, expansive memory, quad core processor, and stick in a low fidelity touch screen, it can't cost more than $80 to make the printer.

Although a %500 markup doesn't seem unreasonable.

vintly

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 07:23:54 PM »
You can get a decent printer for $50, and a passable tablet for $100.

You're not a Mac user are you ;)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 07:28:48 PM »
That's the way it works now. The printer cost $50. The ink refills are $200 each.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 08:21:03 PM »
Really annoying, isn't it.  I would much rather they get their profit out of me for the printer and then sell the cartridges for the $2 each they are worth.  It makes the printers disposable, instead of the ink cartridges.   >:( >:( >:(

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 03:10:13 PM »
Really annoying, isn't it.  I would much rather they get their profit out of me for the printer and then sell the cartridges for the $2 each they are worth.  It makes the printers disposable, instead of the ink cartridges.   >:( >:( >:(

Like how hotels charge full price for the room and then fair prices for the minibar, room service and pay per view?

(Or is this hitting below the belt?   :tease: )

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 05:03:29 PM »
Printers are my business and I save my customers money every day by cutting their printing costs. Printer ink is considered to be liquid gold to the manufacturers.

Hewlett Packard (HP) cartridges. A decade ago, the best-selling HP cartridge had 42ml of ink and sold for about £20. Today, the standard printer cartridges made by HP contain as little as 5ml of ink but sell for about £13. All inkjet manufacturers are the same regardless of the marketing they use.

Name another liquid you would pay £13 for 5ml? Petrol, Perfume, Champagne? Nope! All of them, even the most expensive, are far far cheaper than that. Watch the video below and you will see that potentially 50% of the ink you buy is wasted inside the printer - crazy!

Add the fact that most cartridges are now fitted with a microchip which indicates the level of ink in the cartridge. These microchips are set to display the message ‘low on ink’ prematurely inducing unknowing customers to replace their cartridges before they are fully used. Some microchips shut down the cartridge on undisclosed expiry dates. In both cases the customer loses out on the ink remaining unused in the cartridge.

Inkjet printers, (which admittedly have their uses), are a complete rip off to the normal user.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:10:06 PM by Wizzo »
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Ian

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 07:08:16 PM »
Glad I don't use a printer, I print off so little that it's dirt cheap for me to do it up the library, good info though Wiz.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 07:52:48 PM »
Add the fact that most cartridges are now fitted with a microchip which indicates the level of ink in the cartridge. These microchips are set to display the message ‘low on ink’ prematurely inducing unknowing customers to replace their cartridges before they are fully used. Some microchips shut down the cartridge on undisclosed expiry dates. In both cases the customer loses out on the ink remaining unused in the cartridge.

Now there's an idea for F1 tires.  Let the 'smart tire' tell the pit wall when the tires are getting 'low', so they don't have to waste half the season guessing how the tire is going to perform.

Drivers and teams will still take gambles on the tires, but they will be informed gambles that are fair.  (At least fairer than letting one team get a secret test at any rate)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle