collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 238
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16175 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13015 Posts
John S John S
11290 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Jacques Attack  (Read 603 times)

Offline Irisado

Jacques Attack
« on: February 14, 2014, 02:43:21 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/26178312

Just when you thought we'd heard the last of him, Villeneuve emerges from a past life to complain about Formula 1 yet again.  He did nothing but complain about it when he drove too, but, on this occasion, I agree with his point about artificial aids.  In my view, he's absolutely right about this.

He's way too harsh on the drivers though.  There are still characters on the grid.  Just because they don't all go round doing and saying daft things like he used to doesn't mean they're not interesting.

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jericoke

Re: Jacques Attack
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 03:08:36 PM »
Villeneuve is right in that DRS and media coached drivers really depart from made F1 special in the past.

The issue, of course, isn't about changing the sport for the sake of change, but trying to keep the money flowing.  Sponsors don't want to pay millions of dollars to someone who says something embarassing, so the drivers know better than to speak freely, as it could literally cost them millions of dollar.

The gap between smaller budget teams and bigger budget teams threatens to grow embarassingly wide, so DRS is a way of taking away the extra 10ths of a second that a few million dollars can buy.

The irony is lost on my hero that the formation of BAR was really the epitome of modern overspending in F1 that's lead us down this road.  They really changed the economics of the sport, and we're still feeling the effects today.  A low key BAR, that grew into the sport (like RBR has) would have set the path for Honda and Toyota to follow.  (Luckily, for all their headlines and executive 'talent', Mercedes does seem to have followed RBR's path of patience and steady improvement)

Offline Scott

Re: Jacques Attack
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 03:18:09 PM »
The irony is lost on my hero that the formation of BAR was really the epitome of modern overspending in F1 that's lead us down this road.  They really changed the economics of the sport, and we're still feeling the effects today.  A low key BAR, that grew into the sport (like RBR has) would have set the path for Honda and Toyota to follow.  (Luckily, for all their headlines and executive 'talent', Mercedes does seem to have followed RBR's path of patience and steady improvement)

So true Jeri. 

As for the drivers being uninteresting because they have to toe the company line, some do - some don't.  Not too much instruction going on in the Ferrari camp - they just hand it back to the drivers in the media when they speak badly (in Ferd's case).  Lucky Kimi doesn't like to talk, so they have little to worry about with him.

I think it's too bad we don't have the characters of the 'old' days, but with global media and about 100x the number of fans that F1 had 30 yrs ago, the drivers need to remain quite a bit more private or they will end up being stalked.  I don't blame them for that.  What do we know about Vettel other than that he apparently just became a Dad?  I think we know most about Kimi simply because he likes to party and occasionally stumbles in front a a photographer's lens.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle