collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 247
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16168 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13004 Posts
John S John S
11287 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: So Bernie is innocent?!  (Read 3456 times)

Offline Monty

So Bernie is innocent?!
« on: February 20, 2014, 10:50:01 AM »
Bernie won the court case. Although this was only a civil case it has a massive influence on the legal situation!

Offline Scott

Re: So Bernie is innocent?!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 11:49:31 AM »
This one was just about whether or not F1 shares were undervalued by Ecclestone when he arranged the sale to CVC in 2005.  Doesn't mean he is innocent, in fact some things came out in this case that may affect his April court case.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/feb/20/f1-bernie-ecclestone-wins-high-court-case-constantin-medien
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 12:10:25 PM »
Well as you can see I did put a question mark in the heading ....innocent?
However, unless it gets changed on appeal, this will improve his legal case. The civil court found that any corruption did not favour Bernie or damage Medien.
His defence is that he was being blackmailed.
The civil case result will therefore influence the legal position in his favour

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 03:09:23 PM »
He was being blackmailed for tax evasion...I wonder how much sympathy he will get for that one  ;) ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 01:59:52 AM »
The way I read it is the Judge says he's innocent but corrupt :DntKnw:

Who in the world would ever think Bernie corrupt? :DD
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Irisado

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 01:24:11 PM »
That's my understanding too Dare.  What the judge said about Ecclestone's character and trustworthiness was damning in my opinion.  That's what the focus of the outcome should be about.  If I were a Formula 1 team principle, I wouldn't want Ecclestone to continue in his role following that verdict.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Online Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 03:19:18 PM »
That's my understanding too Dare.  What the judge said about Ecclestone's character and trustworthiness was damning in my opinion.  That's what the focus of the outcome should be about.  If I were a Formula 1 team principle, I wouldn't want Ecclestone to continue in his role following that verdict.

I'd rather have Bernie on my side than against me...

vintly

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 09:09:54 PM »
I'd rather have Bernie on my side than against me...

Especially now he's best mates with Putin!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 09:23:30 PM »
If I were a Formula 1 team principle, I wouldn't want Ecclestone to continue in his role following that verdict.

Do you really think any team principal is unaware of Bernie's Machiavellian ways, either in money matters or power grabbing.  :swoon:

The executive suits in Merc, Renault and big corporate sponsors will start any conversation about possible damage to their company's public image, if anyone does; the teams will simply follow company policy when - and if - it's handed down. 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Cam

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 04:15:11 PM »
This result has no bearing on the German matter at all.

Couple of things have always intrigued me. One, given that Gribowsky was found guilty of receiving a bribe, surely whoever paid the money is logically guilty of paying a bribe.  Two, what was the purpose of the bribe?  Gribowsky represented the bank that was buying a stake in F1.  It appears Bernie didn't want scrutiny of the way some F1 related family trusts are operated.  And if he is found to have been influencing the trusts in ways that he isn't supposed to then they are no longer trusts and he may be up for an enormous tax bill.

The German case will probably go badly for him and his F1 credibility will be in tatters, if it isn't already, not to mention the fact he turns 84 this year.  The interesting thing as always is how will CVC establish the leadership of F1 post Bernie.

As a footnote, Gribowsky was sentenced to 8 years in 2012, apparently he is already out on parole.

As a second footnote, when I spellchecked this post, it wanted to replace "Gribowsky" with "Grub"
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 08:39:51 PM »
This result has no bearing on the German matter at all.

Couple of things have always intrigued me. One, given that Gribowsky was found guilty of receiving a bribe, surely whoever paid the money is logically guilty of paying a bribe.

I think Gribowsky agreed to plead guilty on the bribery charge so as to avoid proper examination of the alleged blackmail element, the sentence if blackmail is substantiated would be far higher than what he got. Having received money and try to hide it from the German tax authorities pretty much makes him guilty of something, but quite what is still up in the air in truth.

Any judicial system that allows presumption of innocence will be sorely tested by putting a second party on trial when the first party has been allowed to cop a plea and be sentenced for the crime without full adversarial investigation in the courtroom.

I'm not saying Bernie is innocent, however it's really hard to see how he can be offered a fair trial with Gribowsky guilty, in the legal system's eyes anyway, of accepting a bribe. Having allowed the guilty plea to bribery the court now simply has to establish beyond a reasonable doubt that Bernie paid the money, which he has already admitted he did, therefore Q.E.D.  Surely even the hippie tree hugging liberals who hate F1 so much can see the possible injustice waiting in the wings.  :D 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 02:48:36 PM »
Here in the States, it's standard practice to let the "small fish" cop a plea in order to convict the bigger fish. I had just assumed that was what was afoot here. Leverage Gribowsky into a plea and parlay that into a conviction of Ecclestone.

Cos (hippie tree hugging liberal who loves F1   ;)   )
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 09:45:44 PM »
Here in the States, it's standard practice to let the "small fish" cop a plea in order to convict the bigger fish. I had just assumed that was what was afoot here. Leverage Gribowsky into a plea and parlay that into a conviction of Ecclestone.

Yeah, I'd been assuming the same thing.

Also knew they were getting in over their heads when it comes to dealing with Bernie and contracts

Offline Dare

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 10:21:39 PM »

Usually when you cop a plea you don't get 81/2
years,I think it was every man for himself.

Dare[tree leaning moderate that never had
the time to be a hippie you used to love F1
a heck of a lot more]
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Cam

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 10:37:34 AM »
Tangled web alert!  :o 

Gribkowsky is no patsy.  F1 was dumped in his lap when Kirch went bust (after he had rejected it once before when he was with another bank). Once he realised that BayernLB (the bank he worked for) owned all the majority of shares but had no control, Gribkowsky personally took charge of challenging Bernie and attempting to wrest some control.  There were a couple of lawsuits around 2004-2005 the second of which was settled out of court and appears to have resulted in Bernie losing his spot on the board of FOH (Formula One Holdings).

In addition, Gribkowsky was party to a decision by BayernLB to purchase an Austrian bank Hypo Alpe-Adria which was a total disaster resulting in a 3.7bn euro loss to BayernLB.  Gribkowsky lost his job with Bayern over it and is currently facing criminal charges over the matter, and also, according to one report, a 200m euro lawsuit. 

Another interesting tidbit is that Bernie's trial, which opens in April, will be presided over by the same judge, Peter Noll,  who presided over Gribkowsky's trial and who in that trial described Bernie as a "criminal"

Ironically, the more I dig into it I'm starting to find Bernie's story more believable than Gribkowsky's.  :confused:

I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle