collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 598
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: BBc Panorama program  (Read 1056 times)

vintly

BBc Panorama program
« on: April 22, 2014, 05:45:25 PM »
This looks a giggle:

Bernie Ecclestone: Lies, Bribes and Formula One
Monday 28th April, 8:30pm BBC1

Bernie Ecclestone has dominated Formula One motor racing for forty years and made billions from the sport. But two courts say he paid a $44m bribe, a judge recently concluded that it was 'impossible to regard him as a reliable or truthful witness', and he may have avoided a billion pounds of UK tax. Panorama's Darragh Macintyre investigates the truth about the boss of F1, Bernie Ecclestone, and asks why he is still in charge.

Offline Scott

Re: BBc Panorama program
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 09:00:12 PM »
Oh, can't wait for that one to get to the net...   :D :D
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 02:25:25 PM »
I think that I'll sit down and watch that.  Thanks Vintly.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Vince

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 01:17:49 PM »
Sky+'d it - looking forward to reading between the lines... I wonder how honest the program will be... Or has Bernie's deep pockets *ahem* affected the outcome of that too?  ;) 
The lead car is unique, except for the one behind it which is identical.
Murray Walker

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 10:33:27 AM »
I watched it.  A bit of a fluff piece if you ask me, but what can you really squeeze into 30min anyhow?

More news on the trial, it appears Bernie had a bad day in court:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27264129

Looking like his claim of blackmail is as thin as it first sounded, and the German prosecutor is not giving it much credibility.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 09:15:21 PM »

Looking like his claim of blackmail is as thin as it first sounded, and the German prosecutor is not giving it much credibility.

Well they have to don't they - since they've locked up Gribkowsky for taking a bribe - how can they be expected to now accept that the money paid as a blackmail payoff?  :confused:

Having this same court try this case seems to create a potential for a miscarriage of justice, at the very least it should leave any judgment open to appeal.

I can see this ending up in Ian's favourite court - European Court of Human Rights - with Bernie claiming his human rights have been violated by not accepting his word.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 09:05:06 AM »
John  :nono: Don't get me started on that again.  ;)
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 10:26:53 AM »
The Germans have a different justice system than much of the western world (so does Switzerland for that matter) in that you are assumed guilty until you can prove your innocence, so the onus is on the defence, not the prosecution. 

Offline Irisado

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 09:47:41 PM »
It won't end up in the European Court of Human Rights, you can all rest easy on that one ;).

As for the Panorama investigation, yes it was superficial in places, and I wanted more details, but they had a lot to pack into thirty minutes.  I think that Ecclestone has a case to answer, and that things don't look good for him.  I hope that they do throw the book at him, and that he loses control of Formula 1, but they need to ensure that the evidence really is compelling, which means digging a lot deeper than Panorama did.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle