collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 471
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Azerbaijan to host GPin 2015  (Read 4409 times)

vintly

Re: Azerbaijan to host GPin 2015
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 04:45:25 PM »
Heritage is a plus when it come to racing, but F1 is an entertainment business, in which case it could be argued that novelty counts for more.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 06:07:16 PM »
I think I would give the example of World Cup Football ( I am not saying it soccer) held in 1994 in USA. Before that there was not much, but after that there have been tremendous improvement in both enthusiasm as well as in the performance of the national team in international level. So going in a country with potential of improvement, I think F1 should try its luck.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

vintly

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 07:07:48 PM »
And continuing down the football vein, harking back to the good ol' days of European race tracks is like England harking back to their World Cup high point of 1966, which we will no doubt hear more about this coming June.

Countries like Azerbaijan were welcomed into the world economy as 'emerging markets' only recently. For them to have snared a Grand Prix so soon after decades of instability and relative poverty, is something for them to be proud of, and I wish them well.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 08:37:02 PM »
Should any circuit get an F1 race before it proves itself with lower level races? That's a recipe for a continuing revolving door of here-and-gone mediocre tp poor tracks like we've had for the past decade or so.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

vintly

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 09:31:58 PM »
Times have changed - goes back to the heritage issue and the fact that it's not a requirement anymore. Build the track, tick all the (currently) relevant boxes and bang, you got yourself an F1 race.

Some will go and some will stay. A terrible waste of money and resources for those that go, and a sour-tasting legacy for F1 to leave. Hey, that's Bernie.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2014, 01:44:37 AM »
Should any circuit get an F1 race before it proves itself with lower level races? That's a recipe for a continuing revolving door of here-and-gone mediocre tp poor tracks like we've had for the past decade or so.

Exactly.  If people are interested in motorracing, they will support whoever shows up.  If it's F1 or nothing, are those the fans that are going to stick around when something else shiny comes to town?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2014, 09:41:02 AM »

Exactly.  If people are interested in motorracing, they will support whoever shows up.  If it's F1 or nothing, are those the fans that are going to stick around when something else shiny comes to town?

Oh please, there is no comparison between other forms, or indeed Formula, of motorsport and F1. The people with the big bucks choose F1 because it gets them world attention, if only for the week of the GP.  A previous poster has suggested no one really knows where Azerbaijan is - after a GP probably a quarter of the world will.

Some governments will finance an F1 GP for the same reasons they are prepared to suffer massive losses to host the Olympics, they want to be recognized as belonging to the developed world instead of the "tiers monde".  F1 has been a money pit for years it ain't gonna change overnight so oil rich countries are what we are gonna get.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 09:43:18 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2014, 12:17:21 PM »
They still won't know where Azerbaijan is. Very few F1 fans could find Bahrain or Abu Dhabi on a map. It just helps to reduce F1 to being an ad campaign for despots.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2014, 06:33:35 PM »
As I have mentioned earlier in the thread, CVC being the hungry dog, with Bernie as its sniffer, they will never let go any chance of grabbing money, even if means I can manage to set up a track and facility in a dumpster.

So I am being positive about it, hoping that this will ignite a certain interest, and also it will lead to a certain enthusiasm and beginning of new era there.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle