collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 596
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Azerbaijan to host GPin 2015  (Read 4410 times)

Offline Dare

Azerbaijan to host GPin 2015
« on: May 02, 2014, 04:35:35 PM »
How many people even know where it's at.I guess
money talks and youknow the rest

http://msn.foxsports.com/motor/story/azerbaijan-says-it-will-host-formula-1-grand-prix-in-2015-050114

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

Re: Azerbaijan to host GPin 2015
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 04:52:47 PM »
I think it will go the way of Donnington & New Jersey. Lots of talk, lots of money to Bernie, then good bye.

They are also talking about Argentina.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 07:25:36 PM »
I think it will go the way of Donnington & New Jersey. Lots of talk, lots of money to Bernie, then good bye.

Yup, me too.  Pipe dream.  Bernie will use the cash for his defence fund.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 07:47:53 PM »
I doubt it will happen too.. And hope it will not happen if it means we lose another European race.

Argentina wouldn't be so bad though. At least most the world knows where it is, and it already has quite a bit of F1 history.

vintly

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 10:51:34 PM »
There's huge differences between Donnigton OR New Jersey and Port Baku, Azerbaijan. 1) Azerbaijan is swimming in cash, they can't move for cash, their oil and gas is a never ending stream of cash, it's like a cash machine that's the opposite of broken. 2) They're not bogged down by committees, and rules, and further committees, and legislation, and politics, and the need to be seen to be doing something for the common good, etc etc.

I think it's massively more likely to happen than Donnington or New Jersey. Doesn't mean it'll be any good though.

By the way PG, Azerbaijan is next to Armenia  :D

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 10:25:14 AM »
Well, considering how the FOM/CVC is in a bit of a flux at the moment with Bernie, his trial and possible termination, I would say that any new venues will be taking on a big gamble, regardless of how much money they have. 

...and like PG said, if Azerbaijan comes at the cost of losing another European race, I am totally against it. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 02:37:13 AM »
Well, considering how the FOM/CVC is in a bit of a flux at the moment with Bernie, his trial and possible termination, I would say that any new venues will be taking on a big gamble, regardless of how much money they have. 

...and like PG said, if Azerbaijan comes at the cost of losing another European race, I am totally against it.

Depending on which split you use, Azerbaijan is in Europe.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 07:13:29 AM »

:DD :DD :DD Was waiting for somebody to point that out  :good: :good:

There are several things to consider. I know everybody hates Bahrain as a circuit, but because of that race how much of money does flow into teams? McLaren is almost own by Bahrain's money, and there are other teams where a huge chunk of money is coming because of that race in Bahrain. As Vintly said Azerbaijan is literally floating in oil money, because of that race there is possible investment for the teams as well. Having a race in Russia has ensured Sauber, Marussia & Lotus get vital sponsorship for their survival. Having a race in India has prompted investment from Tata as well as others. New races are opening new doors not just for Bernie & CVC, but also for the teams as well, so I don't think there will be any stop of new venues for the F1 calender, because being a resource hungry sports, it just can't ignore the possibility of getting a few more.

The least favorite Grand Prix among our forum members :

Malaysia : Petronas being major sponsor of Mercedes, it is not going to go that easy, though the promoters are questioning their fee, but I have a feeling it is not going away, specially when they have an all conquering team

Bahrain : Literally the owner of McLaren, and with the cash flow it hardly possible to have a year without this event, whether you like it or not.

China : Ferrari has a major sponsorship deal, and a hige potential for manufacturers, it is not going anywhere from the calender as well

Abu Dhabi : Ferrari is entangled with this city, as long as Ferrari is there in the grid, this will be present as well.

The above mentioned countries are willing pay whatever it is necessary to give them a global coverage, while some European races are struggling to convince their people why they would be spending that much of money, when they are reducing the budget for amenities for their citizen. Now when you have on one hand eager group of people willing to give you any price for a slot, while on the other hand you have people who are not much willing to pay, as businessman where would you go? And if you are appointed to recover huge amount of debt by bullish profit, what exactly your strategy be, other than what Bernie is following?

On a different note, Azerbaijan decided to sponsor Athetico Madrid football club, and with its money and an exceptional manager, the club who was struggling for relegation is fighting for the most prestigious double championship. Being an eternal optimist, I am thinking of having a same sort effect in any of F1 team in the grid, as Azerbaijan seems to be an almost done deal.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 03:05:45 PM »

:DD :DD :DD Was waiting for somebody to point that out  :good: :good:

There are several things to consider. I know everybody hates Bahrain as a circuit, but because of that race how much of money does flow into teams? McLaren is almost own by Bahrain's money, and there are other teams where a huge chunk of money is coming because of that race in Bahrain. As Vintly said Azerbaijan is literally floating in oil money, because of that race there is possible investment for the teams as well. Having a race in Russia has ensured Sauber, Marussia & Lotus get vital sponsorship for their survival. Having a race in India has prompted investment from Tata as well as others. New races are opening new doors not just for Bernie & CVC, but also for the teams as well, so I don't think there will be any stop of new venues for the F1 calender, because being a resource hungry sports, it just can't ignore the possibility of getting a few more.

The least favorite Grand Prix among our forum members :

Malaysia : Petronas being major sponsor of Mercedes, it is not going to go that easy, though the promoters are questioning their fee, but I have a feeling it is not going away, specially when they have an all conquering team

Bahrain : Literally the owner of McLaren, and with the cash flow it hardly possible to have a year without this event, whether you like it or not.

China : Ferrari has a major sponsorship deal, and a hige potential for manufacturers, it is not going anywhere from the calender as well

Abu Dhabi : Ferrari is entangled with this city, as long as Ferrari is there in the grid, this will be present as well.

The above mentioned countries are willing pay whatever it is necessary to give them a global coverage, while some European races are struggling to convince their people why they would be spending that much of money, when they are reducing the budget for amenities for their citizen. Now when you have on one hand eager group of people willing to give you any price for a slot, while on the other hand you have people who are not much willing to pay, as businessman where would you go? And if you are appointed to recover huge amount of debt by bullish profit, what exactly your strategy be, other than what Bernie is following?

On a different note, Azerbaijan decided to sponsor Athetico Madrid football club, and with its money and an exceptional manager, the club who was struggling for relegation is fighting for the most prestigious double championship. Being an eternal optimist, I am thinking of having a same sort effect in any of F1 team in the grid, as Azerbaijan seems to be an almost done deal.

I don't disagree that F1 is a business, and it would seem wise to go where the easy money is.

However, I think people are complaining about how short sighted it is of F1 to take the easy money now, at the cost of having a sustainable future.  At the end of the day F1 is paid for by fans.  Sponsors hope that by slapping their name on the side of a Ferrari, people are willing to buy that product/service.  Asian and Middle Eastern companies might be excited about sponsoring F1 like 'big boys', but how long before they realize that there's a reason why Europeans have stopped dumping money into F1?  Then what?

F1 is a European series (yes, I know that we're an international bunch).  The teams are based in Europe.  The fans are based in Europe, the money that fuels the sport comes from Europe.  Once the Asian companies realize that their own people aren't interested in F1, they'll get tired of the sport too and move on to a new flavour of the day, or even better, embrace something their local audience loves.

When that day comes, will there still be a strong base of European fans, or will they have moved on to more local events? 

That's the concern with moving races out of F1's traditional markets.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 08:05:54 PM »
Yes F1 is an European series, that does in no way imply that it cannot be embraced by the people of emerging country. If you look at Football, clubs like Manchester United, Liverpool, Real Madrid has developed a significant fan base here is Asia, so I cannot see a reason why F1 can't do the same. Singapore has showed how you can ensure to embrace the sports, I think other destination call follow to emulate the success.

Jeri, I love the sports, I hate to term it as a money-dumping extravaganza (Currently the state of the affair says it is), I don't want this sports to fail either in Europe or in Asia, and I also want this to expand in America as well. I want people to relish its tradition, embrace its technology and celebrate it as a whole, which I believe is possible if the people governing as well as marketing the sports play its card just right.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 08:31:03 PM »
Yes F1 is an European series, that does in no way imply that it cannot be embraced by the people of emerging country. If you look at Football, clubs like Manchester United, Liverpool, Real Madrid has developed a significant fan base here is Asia, so I cannot see a reason why F1 can't do the same. Singapore has showed how you can ensure to embrace the sports, I think other destination call follow to emulate the success.

Jeri, I love the sports, I hate to term it as a money-dumping extravaganza (Currently the state of the affair says it is), I don't want this sports to fail either in Europe or in Asia, and I also want this to expand in America as well. I want people to relish its tradition, embrace its technology and celebrate it as a whole, which I believe is possible if the people governing as well as marketing the sports play its card just right.

I'm always first in line with saying F1 needs to develop new markets.  However, I would say that the 'new markets' aren't being developed at all.  So many of the 'non traditional' tracks play to half empty stands.  Why should F1 go to China if they can't find 50,000 Chinese who want to watch a race?  If the numbers were growing season over season, even if it was slowly, I could see the benefit.  But they don't.  They grow smaller and smaller.  Why give up 50,000 fans in Germany for 20,000 in Shanghai?

So, expand the sport, yes, but actually expand it.  Don't drop a race in the middle of a motorsports wasteland and hope for the best.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 10:04:59 PM »
It might happen, but I expect it to be a disaster if it does.  There's no Formula 1 heritage there, so I can't see many people turning up to watch, and I dread to think what the circuit would be like.  Lots of oil and money though, as we saw when they hosted the Eurovision Song Contest a few years back.

The autocratic leadership makes this a rather dubious state* in which to hold high profile events, however, since we already go to Bahrain, this would hardly be new for Formula 1.

*Disclaimer, with my academic hat on I'm more than aware that western democracies also have numerous flaws, and have criticised their superior attitude numerous times in the past, and will continue to do so ;).
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 11:37:49 PM »
It might happen, but I expect it to be a disaster if it does.  There's no Formula 1 heritage there, so I can't see many people turning up to watch, and I dread to think what the circuit would be like. 

If you don't go there Irisado in the first place, how will there be any racing heritage? :DntKnw: :DntKnw: Did Singapore had any history of any heritage of F1 racing? Yet it is one of the few successful races in calender.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 09:52:13 AM »

Well said BD, :good: unless F1 goes to new places we'll never know how good they are - or can become. It's meant to be a World series so it needs to cover as much of the globe as possible IMHO.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 03:50:58 PM »
Heritage would be present before going there, that's the whole point of racing heritage.  What motorsport heritage does Azerbaijan have?  If someone wants to fill me in, I'll happily change my mind if presented with evidence to show me that I'm wrong.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle