collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 230
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16165 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12995 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Secret Red Bull Tests Rumored  (Read 1375 times)

Offline cosworth151

Secret Red Bull Tests Rumored
« on: June 05, 2014, 05:09:33 PM »
The German newspaper Bild is reporting the Red Bull has run secret tests in Austria. The tests supposedly took place  indoors at the Austrian company AVL’s rolling road facility in Graz, Austria. The tests may have involved Toro Rosso.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140605/f1/140609928#ixzz33mWAZO4q

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

Re: Secret Red Bull Tests Rumored
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 06:40:56 PM »
So what.  Didn't do them much good.  I'm all for testing, so I hope they don't bother penalizing them, but no doubt they will be brought before the World Council of Lawyers to beg their case....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 07:21:33 PM by scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 07:53:18 PM »
I'm not familiar with the rules of F1 testing.

Isn't there a 'mileage' cap?  If they're on a rolling road, then that means the car drove 0 miles  (or 0 km for those of you on metric), which would be within the rules as I understand them.

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 08:09:39 PM »
Even on a rolling road you're clocking up mileage.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 08:45:26 PM »
But it sounds like it was primarily an engine test for Renault, so kind of on par of when Mercedes tested the Pirellis last year (which unless my memory escapes me, Mercedes was not penalized - even though they knew it was a grey area themselves).

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 01:08:52 PM »
I'm sure Mercedes would point out that, since all teams are required to use Pirellis, all teams would benefit from those tests. At best, only the Renault teams would benefit from these.

I know that Merc actually benefited far more than the other teams from the tire tests, but that would be the argument.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 04:03:11 PM »
I guess what I mean is that an engine test on a rolling road (I don't think they mentioned it was in a wind tunnel, did they?), was a test by the engine manufacturer, and RBR or STR only obliged with a car and driver, much like the Pirelli test.  I would suggest that the Pirelli test is still paying off for Merc and the way they designed their car far more than the engine test paid off for RBR or STR or for that matter, any of the Renault teams. 

But I see what you're saying...and of course the test WAS in Austria, so makes it even more suspicious who instigated it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 05:34:07 PM by scott »

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 05:14:12 PM »
I am sure there will be some waves in F1 hegemony to address this issue. But I think this may be much more complex than Mercedes' last year test. Because the problem with the test was it used current car, with current drivers, while this test was clearly about Renault and less of Red Bull, because the feedback will be less as it was a rolling test.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 10:36:34 PM »

Red Bull claim, that even if they did, but they're clear they didn't, such testing would be within the regulations and therefore they intimate - 'nothing to see here'.............. Yeah right  ::) :D

Whilst Red Bull denied any involvement, the team also noted that such testing is permitted under the regulations under certain circumstances. "Red Bull Racing didn't conduct the test laid out in the article," a spokesperson told The F1 Times. "The test mentioned in the article would be permitted by the regulations, but in any case Red Bull Racing didn't do it." In fact, as long as certain parts of the bodywork aren't attached to the car, such as the front-wing and no airflow is passing over the car, the facility can be used outside of the testing restrictions as it doesn't fall into the wind tunnel category according to Appendix 8 of the Sporting Regulations. Therefore, even if Red Bull or sister team Toro Rosso had been using the facility as reported, it would be completely legal.

by TF1T Staff, F1times.co.uk, Thurs 5th June.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 10:03:55 AM »
We didn't do it, but if we had... :DD :DD

I thought since it wasn't a track or wind tunnel test that there might be a loophole, apparently they are claiming that there is.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle