collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 565
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Bernie Says No More Monza  (Read 2983 times)

Offline cosworth151

Bernie Says No More Monza
« on: July 01, 2014, 04:07:35 PM »
Hopefully, this is just the opening salvo of Bernie's negotiations.

Bernie Ecclestone says that e won't renew the contract with Monza. "I don't think we'll do another contract," he said. "The old one was a disaster for us from a commercial point of view. After 2016, bye-bye."

Well, there's always the chance that he'll be in prison by then.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140701/f1/140709995#ixzz36EIDoFDe

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

Re: Bernie Says No More Monza
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 04:56:57 PM »
He has just sunk even lower in my estimation.  I didn't think that this was possible.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 05:43:29 PM »
 :o No Monza, sacrilege.  :swoon:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 07:24:30 PM »
If you leave out Monza, you are shutting door to one of the richest legacy of F1. I hope they will negotiate some sort deal out of it.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 08:58:55 PM »
You never really know with Bernie, but let's consider a couple of things. Bernie stated that Ferrari is essential to F1; an Italian GP is essential to Ferrari. That would seem to indicate an Italian GP is essential to Bernie. While there are several other great tracks in Italy, none is up to F1 standards, nor are they likely to spend the money to become F1 level. Bernie of course, is eager to have races through the streets of the world's great cities, including Rome. The Mayor of Rome has supported the idea, but given the importance and fragility of Rome's iconic monuments, once around the Colosseum is highly unlikely. Even at another location a great deal of prep work would need to already have been done for a Rome GP. And if French politicians shot down a Paris GP, the Italians are likely to do likewise. So, this is probably an opening shot for more money and an upgrade to the venue. We'll see.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 09:05:04 PM »
The venue could sure use an upgrade, that's for sure.  Let's hope it's a win-win deal.  But like Cos says, Bernie will probably be in jail by then, or at the very least have nothing to do with F1.  >:( >:(
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 08:36:52 AM »
It sure could Scott, like proper toilets with washing facilities for a start.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 12:03:52 PM »
This might be a repeat of what happened with Silverstone a few years back. Bernie threatens to move the race in order to force the track owners into new facilities.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 03:26:55 PM »
This might be a repeat of what happened with Silverstone a few years back. Bernie threatens to move the race in order to force the track owners into new facilities.

Sounds like it to me.

I should think that finding investors in a new F1 track in Italy should be pretty easy to do.  If no one else, surely Fiat would see the advantages.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 04:39:15 PM »
Italy isn't in great financial shape though, so while it may be a threat, I'm not sure whether the Italian government, or even private investors, are in a position to upgrade Monza's facilities at the moment.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 05:50:06 PM »
Keep in mind that Monza is actually a park and there are restrictions on what can be done to the facilities. Further, there is a staunch opposition group that would like the track shut down. Not everyone thinks "Racing is Life".
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 08:32:59 PM »
Italy isn't in great financial shape though, so while it may be a threat, I'm not sure whether the Italian government, or even private investors, are in a position to upgrade Monza's facilities at the moment.

I think it's safe to say that Italian economics isn't exactly my strong suit.  However, given that Italy has more F1 teams than any other nation save the UK, and has previously hosted two Grands Prix a season, surely there is an appetite for racing.

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 08:45:46 AM »
Fiat is Ferrari and they own their own track. I'm not sure they would go out in support of Monza but I do agree they will want to keep F1 in Italy.
The problem with Italy is the corruption. There will be so many brown envelopes being passed around Bernie won't know which one to take; unless of course one is marked 'from The Family'.

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 10:34:08 AM »

I think it's safe to say that Italian economics isn't exactly my strong suit.  However, given that Italy has more F1 teams than any other nation save the UK, and has previously hosted two Grands Prix a season, surely there is an appetite for racing.

You're right Jeri, the Tifosi will never allow the Bernie to take away their race, but I do think it would be a shame to move it from Monza.  The track isn't the problem, and really, to update the facilities wouldn't take that many million.  Fiat could do it just for good will.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 02:24:33 PM »
Keep in mind that Monza is actually a park and there are restrictions on what can be done to the facilities. Further, there is a staunch opposition group that would like the track shut down. Not everyone thinks "Racing is Life".

All true, and a very important point to remember.  I even have an Italian friend who doesn't like Formula 1 and doesn't think it should race at Monza.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle