collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 554
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: German Courts :fool: :fool:  (Read 3892 times)

Offline Scott

German Courts :fool: :fool:
« on: July 29, 2014, 07:30:30 PM »
Not sure how that really works, but according to the attached article, in Germany, a prosecutor can stop a court action if the defendant wants to settle the case in a way that all parties are satisfied.  So Bernie's lawyers called for the case to be halted because there is not enough evidence to prosecute him, but he is willing to pay $25m to some bank to settle the case?   :confused: :confused: I'm very confused.  There are actually laws against bribery, yet they have this rule in their courts?  :confused: :confused:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28547377

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

Re: German Courts :fool: :fool:
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 12:59:04 AM »
sounds like a legal bribe to me
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 08:10:22 AM »
Nope. Sounds OK to me. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely, Bernie's money absolutely buys the corrupt!
Mind you, I would say I like him for £25million.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 03:18:07 PM »
Seems like a way to get around everyone wasting time.

If he's not going to be convicted, why continue fighting?

If he's not going to be convicted, how much should he continue spending in terms of money AND time defending himself?

On one hand, it seems wrong that there's a way for the rich to wheedle themselves out of trouble.  On the other hand, it seems effecient (that most German of stereotypes) to find a way to get a pound of flesh from someone who is probably going to get away with something because of an expensive legal team.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 05:46:27 PM »
Poses an interesting question, If the other guy was guilty of accepting a bribe from Bernie, how can Bernie not be guilty of paying it? Ah, the intricacies of the legal system!!
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 08:00:56 PM »
Poses an interesting question, If the other guy was guilty of accepting a bribe from Bernie, how can Bernie not be guilty of paying it? Ah, the intricacies of the legal system!!

Quite easily in fact. A key part of a crime is 'intent'.  If Bernie merely believed he was paying a crony for a favour, it's not really bribery.  However if said crony knows full well taking the money is a bribe, then he has taken a bribe.

(I speak hypothetically, of course)

Of course Bernie would still be guilty of a 'lesser' crime (ignorance is not a defence after all), but I'm not familiar with German law, and if he's charged of the 'greater' crime if there's an option to find him guilty of something 'lesser'.

Indeed if the only evidence of the bribe is that someone said he took a bribe, that doesn't really prove Bernie's intent at all.  I personally believe Bernie knew what he was doing (how can anyone believe he didn't?), but I also believe in his knowing what he was doing, he ensured there was enough 'shadow of doubt' to make sure he wasn't convicted of any serious crimes.

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 10:43:17 PM »
Jeri youshould be a lawyer......the way youcan turn words around
you could almost make me believe O.J. was innocent...................................................almost.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 12:24:16 PM »
Just another example of The Golden Rule: If you've got the gold, you make the rules.

Sounds like just another plea bargain to me.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 05:13:24 PM »
Apparently it's now up to $100m, but things should be wrapping up next week.  Bernie free, Bernie with job, a bunch of lawyers sending big invoices around...life goes on as expected.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/496586/Ecclestone_to_keep_F1_job_after_100m_court_deal/

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 09:47:55 PM »
Apparently it's now up to $100m, but things should be wrapping up next week.  Bernie free, Bernie with job, a bunch of lawyers sending big invoices around...life goes on as expected.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/496586/Ecclestone_to_keep_F1_job_after_100m_court_deal/

So I'm to understand that in order to not be convicted of paying money to a German banking official, Bernie has to pay a fine to a German bank?

Is it just me, or does it sound like they're just a bunch of thugs shaking Bernie down? 

Now, if you'll permit me a stereotypical German accented joke:
"Zat eez a nice trust fund you haf.  Eet vould be a shame if zumthing vould happen to it, ja?"

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 02:56:22 PM »
It looks like a done deal. A German court has agreed to end the trial in exchange for a $100m (£60m) payment from Bernie.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28656050
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 03:13:48 PM »
So Bernie pays a bribe to the court, who accept the bribe and let him go free.
Perfectly reasonable.
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 08:35:37 PM »
Perfectly reasonable.

:DD :DD :DD

Well it's certainly easier than collecting tax off billionaires, perhaps more countries ought to use it more often.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 08:35:57 PM »
Perfectly reasonable.

All the while being on trial for bribery...oh Bernie, the irony is killing us.

I was talking to my wife about the loophole in German law that allows for a defendant to offer a settlement in a case that the prosecution admits may not lead to a conviction.  Why on earth would he need to offer up $100m if the case was weak?  If it was weak, he could have offered a heckuva lot less, no?

We need Ali to explain this one to us.  Where are you Ali?

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 02:41:23 PM »
Perfectly reasonable.

All the while being on trial for bribery...oh Bernie, the irony is killing us.

I was talking to my wife about the loophole in German law that allows for a defendant to offer a settlement in a case that the prosecution admits may not lead to a conviction.  Why on earth would he need to offer up $100m if the case was weak?  If it was weak, he could have offered a heckuva lot less, no?

We need Ali to explain this one to us.  Where are you Ali?

My guesses:
Legal costs.  Surely Bernie's legal team costs a lot of money.  Perhaps not $100M, but fighting on is going to cost money

Time.  i know some cases drag on forever through procedural events.  Innocent or guilty, that's a lot of time, and surely Bernie considers his time to be precious.  If you can afford $100M to buy a few stress free months, that seems like good value.

End to further investigation.  Maybe there IS more to the story that hasn't been uncovered, and Bernie is paying to make sure it stays that way.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle