collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 226
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16171 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13011 Posts
John S John S
11290 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Adrian Newey: critical of 'restrictive' F1 regulations  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Monty

Adrian Newey: critical of 'restrictive' F1 regulations
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:15:23 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28594309
I know this year is producing some good racing but I have to agree with Newey. I fully understand the need to reduce costs but I feel sure it would be possible to restrict extreme solutions without prescribing an almost fixed design.
Personally I used to like it when a team found a way of mounting a bizarre 'winglet' on some unlikely piece of bodywork and suddenly found a couple of tenths. I know sometimes the cars looked a bit ugly but let's face it they are hardly sexy now!

Offline cosworth151

Re: Adrian Newey: critical of 'restrictive' F1 regulations
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 12:20:12 PM »
I agree, Monty. It had a bit of "Where's Waldo" to it. More seriously, it allowed teams to try to correct mistakes they might have made with their original designs. Now, if a team misses the mark at the start of the year, their entire season is ruined.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 03:02:31 PM »
I would think that aerodynamics is the one area where a small budget team can defeat the 'big boys'.  Granted, big budget teams can endlessly test a dozen designs to come up with the best solution, but a small budget team can come up with a single better solution and beat the pants off the big boys.

Open up the aero rules:  let the cars go crazy.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 09:28:25 PM »
I would think that aerodynamics is the one area where a small budget team can defeat the 'big boys'.  Granted, big budget teams can endlessly test a dozen designs to come up with the best solution, but a small budget team can come up with a single better solution and beat the pants off the big boys.

Open up the aero rules:  let the cars go crazy.

Sorry to disappoint you Jeri but it's exactly the opposite with Aero, the more money you can throw at it -in the right way of course - the better your car will be. The minnows just can't compete with either the design office staff and wind tunnel, or the rapid making of multiple parts to try - and mostly disregard.  ;) 

Newey is wrong though, in IMHO, yes it's becoming harder to find the killer features to innovate in F1, but hasn't it always appeared that way?  ::)

Every few years Adrian becomes bored with what he is doing with a particular team, now his threshold has been passed at RBR so instead of moving to another team he is defending his sideways move to other projects with this swipe at F1's limited horizons.  :stop: 

I wish for once you'd just admit your bored with what you're doing Adrian and move on, I don't remember Ross Brawn blaming restrictive F1 regs for his fishing sabbatical.  :P

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 09:30:14 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle