collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 162
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16179 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13017 Posts
John S John S
11295 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: COTA Could Lose $250 Million in Taxpayer Money  (Read 1557 times)

Offline cosworth151

COTA Could Lose $250 Million in Taxpayer Money
« on: September 15, 2014, 01:10:48 PM »
The San Antonio Express-News newspaper is reporting that COTA may lose the $250 million dollars in taxpayer money it uses to pay Bernie for the USGP. The taxpayer subsidy has always been unpopular in Texas. Now that Texas Governor Rick Perry is in major political trouble, the Tilke track has lost its primary political benefactor.

Stephanie Richmond, a former Major Events Trust Fund board member, has testified in a sworn affidavit that the venue never submitted the proper paperwork. The newspaper’s report also noted, “Travis County Judge Sam Biscoe said that Travis County never filed an application with Formula One [and he said], ‘The process was botched from the beginning ... it was clear then and it’s even clearer now, the statute was not complied with.”

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/circuit-americas-could-face-challenge-texas-state-funding-f1-according-newspaper

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

Re: COTA Could Lose $250 Million in Taxpayer Money
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 02:36:41 PM »
Bernie gave a verbal ok?  Yeesh, that doesn't seem like him, does it  |-( |-( |-(  I can't believe a little technicality could get in the way of $250m though.  Somebody will lose their job, but just like the sun sets in the west, Bernie will get his money.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 03:34:22 PM »
Bernie gave a verbal ok?  Yeesh, that doesn't seem like him, does it  |-( |-( |-(  I can't believe a little technicality could get in the way of $250m though.  Somebody will lose their job, but just like the sun sets in the west, Bernie will get his money.

I don't know... You Don't Mess With Texas.

While I can't imagine there's a businessman in Texas Bernie can't take on, when you start talking politics and public opinion, Texas is whole other ball of wax that outsiders cannot easily penetrate.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 11:57:32 AM »
This is all just political bo**ocks - if you don't mind me saying so. The Major Events Trust Fund was set up to do what it says in the title and COTA and the GP of the Americas is just the sort of major event it's meant to support.

We all know that rival political factions have been tying to sink COTA from even before it was built, now they want to nail it with some missing paperwork or a wrongful procedure.  ::)

Too many opponents of COTA and the GP of the Americas, including our own dear Cossie, :tease: just can't accept what a good venue and race we've now got.

I hope they have Stetsons on the podium again this year.  :yahoo:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 12:08:51 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 12:39:16 PM »
In reality, the Major Events Trust Fund was set up to funnel tax money to the Dallas Cowboys, the U.T. Longhorns and getting the Super Bowl in Texas. Football is king down there. I've seen high school stadiums in Texas with multiple Jumbotrons. I doubt you could find a dozen people in all of Texas who could name even one current F1 driver.

Texas leads the nation in the percentage of residents who lack health insurance. Almost one third of Texans age 18 to 65 have no health insurance at all. Schools all over the state are closing due to lack of funds. Do you really think they want $250 million of their tax dollars going into Bernie's pockets?

COTA is the most over rated venue in the history of motorsports. It's bad even by Tilke standards. It's not even as good as Yas Marina. (At least it has that funky, color-shifting hotel.) Fans can't even drive to it. F1 will never get any traction in the States until it goes back to a venue people have heard of.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 02:07:17 PM »
In reality, the Major Events Trust Fund was set up to funnel tax money to the Dallas Cowboys, the U.T. Longhorns and getting the Super Bowl in Texas. Football is king down there.

Maybe they should have named it the Major Football Events Trust Fund then.  :D
.....................or maybe someone just got the paperwork wrong when they set it up.  :DD
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 02:22:04 PM »
Do you really expect honesty from politicians?
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle