collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 581
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Honda plans to charm Ferd at Suzuka  (Read 4123 times)

Offline Dare

Honda plans to charm Ferd at Suzuka
« on: September 21, 2014, 10:06:58 PM »

Anyone think Alonso is a little too old to build a
team around now?Of course the way Ferrari isit
would be the same thing there

http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/f1-honda-plans-to-charm-alonso-at-suzuka?artid=171354&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social-media&utm_campaign=racing

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: Honda plans to charm Ferd at Suzuka
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 07:50:07 AM »
I hope they do it.  I don't think he's too old at all.  He's showing no signs of slowing.  I would love to see him at Mclaren, but I'm pretty nervous about how short a fuse he and Ron will have dealing with each other.  One bad move by either one and it could all come tumbling down.

Ferrari is simply a waste of his time for now and at least next season.

I would prefer Mclaren keep Button, as I think he would be a more effective teammate for Alonso, with less to prove, and experience with the Honda crew.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:52:43 AM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 12:44:11 PM »
Considering Honda's lack of pace for the past generation or so, I wonder how much Button wants to stay there. As you say, he has experience sitting in Hondas watching the rest of the field drive off into the distance.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 02:08:54 PM »
I was thinking that Ferrari is going to be a 'power play' for the next few years while the new guys try and prove they can run an F1 team, and Alonso might want out.

However, McLaren has been in power play mode for a few years now, and they're clearly suffering for it too.

I would think that Alonso either wants a team that is stable, or a team where he has some say.  Not sure which teams those would be.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 08:14:10 PM »

I would think that Alonso either wants a team that is stable, or a team where he has some say. Not sure which teams those would be.

That'd be Sauber or Caterham then.  :DD :DD :DD 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 10:54:17 PM »
Considering Honda's lack of pace for the past generation or so, I wonder how much Button wants to stay there. As you say, he has experience sitting in Hondas watching the rest of the field drive off into the distance.
Except when it was re-badged a Brawn

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 10:58:15 PM »
However, McLaren has been in power play mode for a few years now, and they're clearly suffering for it too.

I would think that Alonso either wants a team that is stable, or a team where he has some say.  Not sure which teams those would be.

Alonso?  I think he could dictate terms at any team (having say), but stability is often season by season, so I think it will be a gamble wherever he goes...maybe Force India would be a good choice.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 12:32:54 PM »
Except when it was re-badged a Brawn

Brawn scrapped the Honda lumps & put in Mercedes engines. That change took them from one win in the previous decade to both a WDC & WCC.

That's what I meant about Honda engines.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 01:10:39 PM »
Honda have had a lot of success with Turbo engines and combined with McLaren you would think that they will arrive with a good electronics package. However, McLaren are hardly considered to be a top team at the moment and Honda is an unknown so I can't see why any of the top drivers would risk leaving a contract with a known team (although we know that money talks - so if the deal is good enough, who knows?).
I hope McLaren stick with Jenson and Kevin and I also hope that the McLaren Honda is a fantastic car and Jenson wins the WDC  ::)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 03:05:44 PM »
Honda have had a lot of success with Turbo engines and combined with McLaren you would think that they will arrive with a good electronics package. However, McLaren are hardly considered to be a top team at the moment and Honda is an unknown so I can't see why any of the top drivers would risk leaving a contract with a known team (although we know that money talks - so if the deal is good enough, who knows?).
I hope McLaren stick with Jenson and Kevin and I also hope that the McLaren Honda is a fantastic car and Jenson wins the WDC  ::)

Renault was once good with turbos too... so quite honestly, previous performance is no indicator of future performance, especially in F1.

Honda has the advantage of seeing what has and hasn't worked in the turbo era:  they're not going in blind like Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari did.

I wouldn't count on Honda/McLaren to dominate, but they will be a big wild card. 

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 03:28:37 PM »
Honda didn't fare to well with their  Indy turbo engine,
Chevy beat them
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 07:03:32 PM »
I read somewhere that the Chevy engines were a different configuration that gave them an advantage over the Hondas in Indy...Honda didn't have a chance.

As for should Alonso leave a sure thing for an unsure Mclaren-Honda, unless he is getting signed at Merc or RBR, he doesn't have that many 'known' choices.  We know Mclaren can do it, but they do tend to be hit and miss...lets hope next year is a hit.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 07:39:29 PM »

Alonso?  I think he could dictate terms at any team (having say), but stability is often season by season, so I think it will be a gamble wherever he goes...maybe Force India would be a good choice.

Seems to me that Force India is on the verge of contending, or closing up shop.  Signing Alonso and some top flight technical talent would show investors they're serious about not just showing up, but winning in F1.  They'd probably have to pay a premium, but given their progress recently, it doesn't seem far fetched for FIF1 to start winning next year.

Offline Dare

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 02:00:55 AM »
I wouldn't think Force India could afford Alonso.....
unless Ferd could bring some sponsorship

Offline Irisado

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 03:59:19 PM »
Alonso will stay at Ferrari in my view.  It's too risky to go to McLaren.  The Honda engine could be a disaster, or it could be okay.  I don't see it being a front running engine straight out of the blocks.  The relationship with Ron Dennis would also be difficult.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle