collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 548
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Engine Regs softened  (Read 4177 times)

Offline Scott

Engine Regs softened
« on: December 22, 2014, 03:19:40 PM »
Good news for Renault and Ferrari, however I am inclined to agree with JV's statement at the end.  But what other Team Principal isn't in it JUST for their own team?  I think none.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/511015/Mercedes_rivals_can_develop_engines_inseason/

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline J.Clark

Re: Engine Regs softened
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 07:56:39 PM »
I agree 100% with JV's comment.  I imagine too that any team principle would like to have things their way all of the time.

I do however, think that the developmental ban is hog-wash.  What is the point, if not to maximize the potential of every aspect of the car, including the power unit?  F1 is supposed to be about innovation, development and extracting every once of horsepower and performance from the car.  I have never like the idea of banning in-season testing and development.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 02:57:05 AM »
I agree 100% with JV's comment.  I imagine too that any team principle would like to have things their way all of the time.

I do however, think that the developmental ban is hog-wash.  What is the point, if not to maximize the potential of every aspect of the car, including the power unit?  F1 is supposed to be about innovation, development and extracting every once of horsepower and performance from the car.  I have never like the idea of banning in-season testing and development.

I don't normally disagree with JV, but here I will.  We know that Bernie won't be running F1 forever, and when he finally departs, there will be a scramble to take over.  Someone who has shown to act 'for the good of Formula One' might find themselves with a leg up.  Thus I assert that Horner might be looking at his own interests even ahead of Red Bull's.  So I 90% agree, but allow for that 10%.

As for the engine regs, I was under the impression they were set through extensive negotiation with the engine suppliers.  Bottom line was that Mercedes had to hit a price point, and they said that they would need to sell X engines at that price without extra R/D costs. 

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 09:26:59 AM »
I'm not sure this will yield such a big advantage to Renault & Ferrari, Mercedes will be free to develop their power unit as well. Having whooped the others already we may just see their advantage extended.  ;)

Good news though that some development is being allowed, not since the days of the Ford DFV have we seen such a gap to the must have engine.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 12:32:11 PM »
Bernie seems to think we can rid the sport of the politically correct kitten cars altogether in 2016. I hope he's right.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/111934-f1-we-can-force-engine-changes-for-2016-ecclestone-warns
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 03:07:07 PM »
Bernie seems to think we can rid the sport of the politically correct kitten cars altogether in 2016. I hope he's right.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/111934-f1-we-can-force-engine-changes-for-2016-ecclestone-warns

I agree with putting crowd pleasing engines in cars.

However, are Honda, Mercedes or Renault interested in spending money on new R&D? 

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 03:45:04 PM »
They just need to pull out the old V8 blocks and put them through a bit of development is all.  Hardly any R&D except to attach them to the new ERS system.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 08:07:57 PM »
They just need to pull out the old V8 blocks and put them through a bit of development is all.  Hardly any R&D except to attach them to the new ERS system.

Not sure Honda wants anything to do with their old V8...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 08:58:34 PM »

Maybe Cosworth will bring theirs back.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 09:27:36 PM »
Good point  :DD :DD

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 12:11:37 AM »
This is what happens when the FIA neglects to write rules properly. Engine sorbet does not impress me, especially when half the paddock thinks it's still fully-frozen...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 05:21:06 AM »
Always difficult to predict the outcome of a change like Bernie is proposing, but in the past Renault and Mercedes have said that if the new engines go, so do they.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle